• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated/Overrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2012
    How come Flareon doesn't get no love? It's the most underrated eeveelution! Everybody thinks Flareon is so good but when they figure out that it's a fire type physical attacker, people are like "OMG I love Vaporeon,Jolteon,Espeon,Umbreon,Leafeon and Glaceon. Flareon gets absolutely no love what so ever. I love the eeveelutions with my heart and I would call them overrated but I wouldn't say that because there is my favorite Pokemon,Flareon. I don't want start on overrated. I have 10 1000 page long rants on Pikachu.
    I've met plenty of people who like Flareon, I didn't know the general public didn't like it because it's a physical attacker. I'd say the least loved Eeveelution is Leafeon. I think everyone just thinks their favorite isn't loved, because everybody is nuts over Umbreon for some reason.

Spycicle

Gentlemen.
    Years
  • Overrated: Celebi. That thing is just a bulb. I mean, really.
    Underrated: The poor, poor fossils of Gen lll and Gen llll. And Gen l's Kabuto line.
    And who can forget the Regi Trio? I think most of Gen lll's legendaries are underrated due to the "nostalgic people" who started playing with R/B.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    gyarados.png

Yea, that's right I said it. I'm sick of seeing this Pokemon. Isn't it like one fo the most used Pokemon in the competitive battling circuit?

dragonite.png

Nothing against him, but the same reasons everyone else mentioned.

garchomp.png

This is my 2nd favorite next to Haxorus. How can it be soo strong that its in the Uber tier???

Underrated?

emboar.png

Fire types are my favorite. And out of all the starters, Infernape is my favorite. But why Emboar's stats be sooo low in the defenses and be so severly out-shinned by Infernape?!? D:

carnivine.png

LOVED this Pokemon in Diamond and disappointed of its current place in Smogon.

rampardos.png

Not really into Rock types but this one looks cool.

braviary.png

Love this Pokemon, would love to use him as my primary Flying type in my team in the 3rd game....if it didn't take so LONG TO EVOLVE!!!! :x

Last edited:

Trainer Evan

Loses lots, but keeps trying!
    Years
  • Uhh well there is a reason why some Pokémon are overused. You say teams are supposed to be "unique" but with that will come that it sucks. They are unique cause noone uses them, and noone uses them for a reason yeah.

Or, uhm, you could pick Pokemon you like over stats and get creative about how to make it work as a team, ergo making meta game simultaneously more challenging and rewarding.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Or, uhm, you could pick Pokemon you like over stats and get creative about how to make it work as a team, ergo making meta game simultaneously more challenging and rewarding.
    Ergo making meta game simultaneously more challenging and rewarding and barely possible, with all those OU running around. Besides, there are tiers.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

The problem with that is all the people who aren't attached to Pokemon because of design or something like that, will pick the strongest ones and have the best teams. And then you just get the floor wiped with your team because you snubbed your nose at the most powerful frontrunners in favor of Pokemon that aren't good competitively, thinking that they just weren't given the chance. In reality, competitive battlers are always looking for the strongest Pokemon, and what's the top used Pokemon aren't top used because other Pokemon aren't given the chance, they're top used because they're some of the best Pokemon out there. Not all Pokemon are created equal in competitive battling.

You choosing to use Pokemon you like is certainly fine, but I doubt it will have much effect on the metagame at all considering so many people will just use Pokemon that are strong and beat you. :/ Although I guess technically it would be more challenging for you, but only in the sense that you'd lose a ton to people that know the metagame more thoroughly.

Silence Rewritten

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • Overrated, I'd say probably Gyrados, just off the top of my head. I've never liked him. -_-
    Underrated, I always say Zigzagoon. Linoone is probably one of my favourite Pokémon, I don't see why people always make him an HM slave. Haha

Trainer Evan

Loses lots, but keeps trying!
    Years

• The problem with that is all the people who aren't attached to Pokemon because of design or something like that, will pick the strongest ones and have the best teams. And then you just get the floor wiped with your team because you snubbed your nose at the most powerful frontrunners in favor of Pokemon that aren't good competitively, thinking that they just weren't given the chance. In reality, competitive battlers are always looking for the strongest Pokemon, and what's the top used Pokemon aren't top used because other Pokemon aren't given the chance, they're top used because they're some of the best Pokemon out there. Not all Pokemon are created equal in competitive battling.

You choosing to use Pokemon you like is certainly fine, but I doubt it will have much effect on the metagame at all considering so many people will just use Pokemon that are strong and beat you. :/ Although I guess technically it would be more challenging for you, but only in the sense that you'd lose a ton to people that know the metagame more thoroughly.

These are people we're talking about, not battle computers. Yeah, a Swoobat may not be as good as Volcorona in terms of stats, but that doesn't stop my Swoobat from killing a good amount of them online. It isn't that hard to be decent with pokemon that have poor stats. Tiers are stupid, especially if you have a team comprise of pokemon from every tier. Porygon-Z for instance, has the stats to tango extremely well in OU. IT can tak out almost anything, even legendaries if used right, or used well in conjunction with your other pokemon. People who go for a statistically strong pokemon are at an advantage yet, bit they also underestimate anything outside of OU tier. If you try hard enough, ANY team can be good competitively. And even if you have a team full of overuseds, you'll still lose every now and then. I know my metagame pretty damn well, and let me tell you, its DAMN satisfying to beat a team full of power houses relatively easily with pokemon no one gives a **** about. Its not as hard as you think it is.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
    Years
  • I'll give an underrated Pokemon, Medicham! Pure Power Medicham's High Jump Kick is extremely strong. With some boosts or a Choice Scarf to patch its lacking Speed, it can be a menace.

Also, Shaymin's land forme is a bit underrated.

Halmtier

THE HOBO
    Years
  • Overrated (not as in being used in games, but as fandom in general)

Lucario: Oh yes, I think almost everyone said this one. It's true though, he's everywhere!

Umbreon: I'm seeing this eeveelution more then any other, and it's annoying how much it and maybe even Espeon get in comparison to the others.

Gardevoir: Way to many fanboys on this one.

Underrated

Stunfisk: He's so... FLOOPY! It's awesome! Personally I love him.

Sableye: Another one I like for the over all design and idea, but it never gets any attention.

Years
  • Overrated: Any of the G1 starters including (especially) Pikachu. I love them all to death, but I'm sick and tired of people claiming that after G1 all the starters suck or something stupid like that. And Pikachu is just annoying at this point. Adorable, but annoying.

Underrated: While the eeveelutions in general are overrated, Leafeon and Glaceon are the most underrated of the group. Glaceon is a great Pokemon with a cool design (her Ice Beam is ridiculous) yet she gets tossed aside as "the ice-type Flareon". And Leafeon is just so pretty and cute and incredibly versatile. I remember honestly not being able to tell which stat it was supposed to specialize in because my Leafeon in Diamond was just that good.

Also, Magby. Yeah, Magmar and Magmortar are terribly ugly, but Magby is so unbelievably cute I can't believe he doesn't get more love. He's always been one of my favorite Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2012
    I think Hitmontop is way too underrated, I mean look at it, it just looks so badass.
    An awesome set of moves for it are Brick Break, Rapid Spin, Earthquake and Rest.
    Enough said. :)

Last edited:

Djinnception

There's a Snake in my boots!
    Years
  • The pokemon that i would say is overrated has been mentioned too many times already. And NO its not Lucario. I think Lucario is a beast.

Underrated? Maractus. Some people have even forgot that they EXIST. I met a wild Maractus and that thing used Acupressure like a pro and nearly took out my team on my first run of Pokemon Black. It even made my Pignite faint.

There is a pokemon that most people have probably forgotten about
    Remember Shuckle? Very underrated pokemon. Shuckle may have a crappy attack stat, but what it lacks in attack, it makes up for in defense. Shuckle is a major defensive pokemon, and as long as there are no ice types on the field, it can hold its own pretty darn well. I remember in Platinum, there was this one place you could go in the Resort Area to re-battle Gym Leaders, and one of them had a Level 61 Shuckle. Without an Ice-type in my party, that thing was terribly tough to take down.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    There is a pokemon that most people have probably forgotten about
    Remember Shuckle? Very underrated pokemon. Shuckle may have a crappy attack stat, but what it lacks in attack, it makes up for in defense. Shuckle is a major defensive pokemon, and as long as there are no ice types on the field, it can hold its own pretty darn well. I remember in Platinum, there was this one place you could go in the Resort Area to re-battle Gym Leaders, and one of them had a Level 61 Shuckle. Without an Ice-type in my party, that thing was terribly tough to take down.

Seriously. Lucy's Shuckle was the bane of my existence during Emerald at the Battle Froniter.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    like many others I agree Pikachu, Charizard and Lucario are all overated. Also Jigglypuff.
    Whenever I hear Charizard is the best starter I get a little irked and simply can't convince anyone he's just as good as blastiose, venusaur and the later gen starters. I think fire types in general are overated.

Underated has got to be Arbok ;) Weezing and the zubat family. Arbok and Weezing are well known for their constent loss in the anime so people avoid them when they're really not bad at all. People hate Zubat as well. I understand it's frustrating when they pop up in caves every few seconds but raise it untill it learns wing attack and it's suddenly pretty tough. Crobat is one of the fasted pokemon I know.

Kyrk

(╯°□°)╯︵ɔıb oן
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2012
    In terms of competitive play, I think Speed Boost Blaziken is overrated. While it is powerful, I honestly don't think it should have been banned in OU. Other than that, Pikachu is very overrated; sure it's cute and everything, but I never really thought of it as a mascot, despite being in the now stale (imo) anime, all of the popular merchandise, beneficial items like Light Orb, and starring in its own video games.

I think an underrated pokemon would be Cradily. It's so freaking bulky and difficult to kill, especially in sandstorm. Also despite being a rock type, it looks really huggable.

Years
  • It is sad to say but eevee and it's evolutions are overated. (Even though I love those Poke'mon). As for underated I would say ... Lanturn! I love this Poke'mon! It is cute, electric, water and has volt absorb as it's ability. Lanturn for the win! :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    Overrrated to me is all forms of starters because they are just overused in my opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back