• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unequal World of Impurities

#Emochu

ujhgjkjhgkujhjkhjkhkhkhhk hjkhj
    Years
    Pokemon is pretty much unfair

The way we have tiers meaning that this Pokemon is better than that one

The way that even if a Pokemon is fully evolved, it still is weak.

Why can't all Pokemon be strong as well have specific weaknesses?

And there are those times where you find out that your favorite Pokemon is useless in battle.

I had this experience where in Soul Silver I chose one of my favorite Pokemon, Arbok and then I soon found out that it actually had no strong points in it's stats.

Is Pokemon battling about using strong Pokemon, or your favorite Pokemon? Or both?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    It depends on what aspect of battling you're participating in.

If you're playing in-game then anything applies, really. You can use Arbok to your hearts content.

But if you're playing competitively then it's a different concept. You play to win is the main rule in competitive battling. Think about it, you're not going to win by sending out a weak Pokemon like Pidgeot are you? That's why we have tiers to separate the weak from the strong. I mean you could use your favourite Pokemon in competitive play but don't expect to win if those said Pokemon are at the bottom end of the Never Used tier.

tl;dr Both depending.

#Emochu

Years
    Yeah but it's unfair and theres no fun in it unless you use favorites.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Even the strong pokemon have their counters. Tiers are meant for competitive play as previously mentioned, yes your favorite may be in a lower tier but don't let that take away from you joy of playing. Depends do you play to enjoy or play to win? Cause if you play for joy then it doesn't matter if it's the weakest or strongest.

#Emochu

Years
    What I'm saying is that Tiers are Pokesist

Because a Pokemon might look incredibly strong in Anime/Manga, but then it's no big deal really in the games.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The tiers aren't created by Nintendo, they're created by the fans. If you want to attempt to make a game where you consistently add 150 or so new creatures every few years and balance every single one so they're equally good competitively...good luck. The level system means that any Pokemon can be used if you level it high enough, regardless of type, stats, or evolution. Tiers, to reiterate what others have said, only apply if you're playing other people.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    What I'm saying is that Tiers are Pokesist

Because a Pokemon might look incredibly strong in Anime/Manga, but then it's no big deal really in the games.

Tiers are their solely to divide each Pokemon up based on their competitive abilities.

Also, tiers only matter to competitive battlers, we love them. Because they help us decide which Pokemon to use and which not too.

Like I've stated, In-Game is the time to use your favourite Pokemon. But competitively, if your favourite Pokemon is something like Purugly, then you're gonna get trampled.

#Emochu

Years
    I think I might've posted in the wrong place.

I'm talking about how Competetive Battle is unfair

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    I don't think there's a rule that you can't use Pokemon from lower teirs higher up, if that's your point. Now if you're wanting to use a Lugia in UU there may be a problem, you dig?
    Now then. Here's my opinion on using your favorites competitively..
    If every Pokemon has equal potential to be used in battle, then what's the point of the game anymore? If your fav. pokemon doesn't cut it statwise, then win with your mind, outsmart your oppenent to win. If it's really your favorite, then have enough heart that you CAN win. Don't cry foul.

Sorry for being a jerk.

Last edited:

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Well, don't go for comptetive battling then. I don't want mindlessly breed my pokemon to perfection and forced to use pokemon I didn't like for the sake of winning. Don't expect to use your favorite Pokemon in competitive battling unless you are pseudo-legendaries lovers.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    It could be about both when it comes to competitve battling. If your favorite pokemon happend to be all legendaries and so is your opponent then you guys have nothing to worry about really. I dont see competitve battling unfair, you when some and you lose some.

:t354:TG

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Agreeing with the above posters. For instance, my favorite Pokemon is Gallade. Sure, it has its flaws, but that didn't stop me from training one. Like Dragonomega said, if it's in-game, you can use whatever you want. Competitively, try something else or think about what quality your favorite has that makes it stand out from others.

Smooky

You blinked, didn't you?
    Years
    I only use my favorites, and I win some battles, but I lose a lot of them. I don't mind. What I like about battling others is seeing what kind of Pokemon the other player likes to raise. And I like displaying who my favorites are.
    I do wish more people would stick with favorites though, instead of just who's "strong". I think the fight is much more interesting. It's like you have to prove WHY these Pokemon are your favorites. When I see people using, Metang for instance, I generally know why. v.v

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    If you want to use your favorite in competitive battle, You have to train it to be good. Like moves, You said your favorite was Arbok, if Im correct. Tutor it Toxic,
    if your playing against someone with pokemon like Lugia or something, wait for it to use its best move then use Spite which loses the foes last used move by 4 pp. Its all about the way you play the game. You lose some you win some. As long as you have fun it doesn't really matter.

Back