• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unknown Creature In Pokemon Origins?

Years
  • Hi everyone, I am Enchantzii, new to the Forums. Today in my very first post, I'd like to say that there are many disputed organisms in the Anime. For example, we had that giant spider monster in the episode The Superhero Secret, and no one is quite sure if it is a Pokemon. Moving on, as I watched Red battle Brock in Pokemon Origins, I noticed a strange cat-like animal with wings, posed as a statue in the background. I double-checked Bulbapedia's "Disputed Pokemon" page, but no information could be found on it what-so-ever. Before I get off-topic, what do you guys think this creature is? Should it be noticed more by fans?
    I am sorry to say that I am not allowed to post a picture at this point in time, but you can find an image of it at the way bottom of the Disputed Pokemon discussion page on Bulbapedia, where I had recently posted it.

(You can see it behind Charmander, by the way)

Years
  • Hey there Enchantzii, welcome to the PokeCommunity! Since you can't post pictures yet yourself, I've added it in the spoiler below:

Spoiler:

While any threads discussing things found in the anime (either the original or Origins) would go in our Pokemon Anime board, I'll leave this here, since it can be a discussion on the potential Pokemon in general.

Personally, I wouldn't chalk it up to anything more than an oversight by the animators, since I don't think they'd be revealing any unreleased Pokemon in a side anime series. Still, it's an interesting find nonetheless!

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Hey there enchantzii - and welcome. ^^ Taking a look at that, it is pretty interesting. I think I passively assumed it was a Dragonite on all fours while watching origins, not having looked at it too hard, but it does distinctly have ears, which Dragonite does not. A very interesting catch indeed, but I don' think it's actually meant to be a pokemon yet to be revealed, or one that doesn't appear in any games, nor do I think it's an oversight by the animators though. If I had to guess, I would say it was meant to be an artistic piece created by whoever canonically built the Pewter City Gym (or any city for that matter, since I think they're in all gyms). Not modeled after a pokemon, but just meant to be a picturesque stone creature, created from the designers mind.

(What the hell is a substitute supposed to be modeled after anyways, some chibi form of tyranitar?)

Just my shot at explaining it. :p

Years
  • Thank you guys so much for your personal views on the subject. You do have a good point, Polar Spectrum, that it may just be a piece of art rather than an unknown Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    I think it could also be something like what happened with the Sinnoh region statue (the one in Eterna City) that looked like a mix of Dialga and Palkia, meaning that if it is a pokemon it wasn't seen very well or only seen very briefly, causing a misinterpretation of what the pokemon may look like.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2015
    I can't believe I never noticed that statue... weird... I agree with Polar Spectrum though, it was probably just art. I mean, they wouldn't accidentally reveal a Pokémon, now would they?

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    In all the time I've seen that particular still from the Origins anime, I never noticed that in the background. Interesting.

I'm gonna go with it most definitely not being a pokemon of any kind, its weird to say in the "Pokémon world" that mythical beings like dinosaurs would exist in it so I'm not sure if you can chalk it down to it being an animal previously inherited the earth. It may just be as mentioned a statue similar to a price of Art. It really looks like a pig with wings to me, although the wat it stands it looks more of a cat.

I really don't know what to say on this one.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    That statue is so strange, I never noticed it before and I've watched through Pokemon Origins three time now. There could be mythical beings we don't know about in the Pokemon worlds, Mew was a mythical being as well as Shaymin. However, I don't think that the statue indicates anything significant, it's just there for the scene. Maybe it's supposed to emulate the Gym Leader statues as we walk into the gyms in the games.

Also, welcome to the Pokecommunity Enchantzii. If you'd like to chat feel free to hit me up with a message. ^^

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    You guys noticed the weird statues in the rooms of the XY's Elite Four, right? Like is Drasna's room, there's a giant dragon statue that doesn't look like any known pokemon.

Back