• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unrealistic Gyn leaders?

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Ok, I appreciate that the gym leaders are at the levels they are to help you progress through the game but do you not think it's kinda stupid and weird to have a gym leader with like level 10 pokemon? xD

Some really crap gym leaders haha =P

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    The only Gym Leader with Level 10 Pokemon was Falkner, and I think all of the Gym Leaders in Gold/Silver/Crystal had quite low-leveled Pokemon...I think it was just the difficult of the game...

As for the others, I find that their levels are quite balanced. I can gain 5 levels on all my Pokemon between Gym Leaders in Diamond and Pearl, and I'm sure I could do the same in LeafGreen. I guess it's just the way it's set up. :P

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    Falkner was just to early in the game to let him have lv 15 pokémon like Brock's onyx. =/ In RBY, LGFR, you had the Viridian forest to train, and the battle with Gary, who's pokemon were already trained. The ??? trainer in GSC's pokemon was not trained yet. And unless you fought billions of Sentret or Hoothoot, your pokemon would have about lvl 10 (for the starter) and 8 for a caught pokemon when you reached Violet City.
    The gymleaders in Jotho had lower lvl's, but their pokemon were quite annoying. Pidgeotto, Scyther, Miltank, Gengar, Steelix, Polywrath, Dewgong, Dragonair. The gyms in Jotho were usually double-typed, like Dewgong is an ice and water pokemon. Their weakness and resistance isn't always like the 'pure type' the gym is based on. That's why their lvls are lower, I think.

Also, the road between Violet City, Azalea and Goldenrod town, is not that filled with challenges such as Mount Moon was between Pewter and Cerulean. The number of rocket grunts in Slowpoke Well is lower than in Mt. Moon, There are no trainers in Ilex forest.... Unlike the road to Cerulean City.
    That's why Misty's pokemon (who's second gym) are like than Whitney's (who's third gym).
    At least, that's what I make from it. could be wrong, could be right, it's just a thought.

Last edited:

Clouddyl

Playing battle tower doubles!
    Years
    I was thinking about that the other day, I was wondering maybe they send out pokemon apropriate for the amount of bagdes you have?

Clouddyl

Years
    YAY!

I talked about it with my brother, he agrees with me, although he says it should be level scaled so its always a challenge, which I totally agree with

Challenge in Pokemon FTW^^

Clouddyl

Years
    No, what I mean is, if your pokemon are all level 16ish, then the gym will have pokemon around 14-18, but as the gyms progressed, the levels would have a minimum cap, say, 10 for gym 1, 16 for 2, and it'd be like, 50 for the final, but if you massively overtrained, then they would all still be a challenge if you see what I mean

SethAragorn

Survived your Post!
    Years
    Lol that would be to tough but the pokemon makers should make more adventureing in the start.Its always the same.First you get your pokemon from a prof.and then have to walk miles till you can finally catch pokemon and train..I think they shouldn´t (if they make any more pokemon games )Make it so boring in the start...

Clouddyl

Years
    Well, obviously it wouldn't be such a difference xD
    A few levels from Falkner couldn't hurt, after all, Sprout Tower was there to grab a level or two before the fight, I suppose

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    I'd feel more sorry for the kids who wake up wanting to become pokemon trainers in Saffron city.

"Let's challenge the official gym leader that's in our local Area!"

Ash987

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I think it doesn't really matter. I think it's trying to make it as if the levels are sort of imaginary. The anime doesn't have levels, any Pokemon can beat any Pokemon if it's trained. Same in the game, they are just made that level for gaming purposes. (I hope someone can understand what I'm saying). But I do agree that it's weird that the starting gyms are low levels it means anyone could be a gym leader.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    -Yellow Sabrina. LV70 Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam? lolno.
    -Most of the GSC Gym Leaders. They were too low-level. (You have the Bellsprout Tower for Falkner. I got my entire four-Pokemon party to level 12 by the time I was done there.) Plus, Kanto's weren't NEARLY strong enough. After defeating the Elite Four, you can't step backwards, then leap forwards.
    -Emerald Tate&Liza were a pain in the ass to me, anyway.
    -Maylene and her Whorecario.
    -Volkner's D/P team was odd. Octillery and Ambipom were just odd. (Though Ambipom is still awesome.)

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
    basing it on the game its jst progress but i understand where you are comin from. in the show there are some tough gym leaders and ash's first battle against brock seemed like a joke compared to some of his other battles. I mean its not like every pokemon trainer starts in pallet town in the anime so why was brock so easy and blane... or blaire... wat eva his name was... why was he so hard? you know?

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
    Well yeah, the gym leaders are very sporadic from region to region.

Kanto: Very focused on Pokemon training
    Johto: Seem to see Pokemon more as helpers in everyday life (i.e. farming, hacking through forests, etc) than partners in battle.
    Hoenn: A harsh environment which requires hard and well trained pokemon
    Sinnoh: Same thing with exception of the Elite 4. Man, that elite 4 was disappointing--I hope Platinum's Elite 4 gives more of a challenge. With the exception of Cynthia, I beat those guys on my first try at 2:00 in the morning when I wasn't completely awake. That is so sad.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Guys, the Johto Gyms were low level because GSC had two parts - Kanto's eight Gyms had to be put into account! If Lance in GSC had the levels of Cynthia, Brock would have level 100s.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    Guys, the Johto Gyms were low level because GSC had two parts - Kanto's eight Gyms had to be put into account! If Lance in GSC had the levels of Cynthia, Brock would have level 100s.

Not to mention they made Whitney hard as heck to balance things out.

Back