• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Upgrade" to IE9

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Just had this pop up visiting msn.com

"Upgrade" to IE9

I've never known IE for being beautiful, and i'm pretty sure Chrome's main deal is that it's the fastest.

I can only assume they're poking fun at themselves; Microsoft do have a sense of humor after all.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hehe. Chrome's main deal is the fastest, and it shows a lot in scripting benchmarks.

IE9+ and Firefox 10 is the fastest when it comes to graphical performance, though.

https://www.smashcat.org/av/canvas_test/

I wonder what performance you get with the Canvas test? Firefox and IE can sustain 230-250 fps on my machine, but Chrome and Opera barely reach... 40 fps.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I use IE8. I wish I could upgrade to IE9 but Microsoft does not allow XP to upgrade.

Yeah, being on Extended Support means that it gets only security updates. :(

I think Microsoft has been trying to get rid of the world of Windows XP, what with it being over 10 years old at this point. :P Windows XP was really solid, but it seems like its time is rapidly coming to an end :(

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • IE9 is pretty nice with a few addons, to be honest.

I'd rather take a brick to the face than use Chrome, though.

ruby

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Why so opposed to Chrome?

Years
  • The first thing that I thought when I opened IE 9 for the first time was this: "Wow, IE 9 looks so much like Chrome now. And it now performs so unlike a Microsoft browser! It doesn't feel like IE anymore!"

They are, however, referring to upgrading the IE 8/IE 7/IE 6 installation on your system. You should upgrade to 9 anyway just to keep your system from being susceptible to those security vulnerabilities the old IE versions suffer from.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The first thing that I thought when I opened IE 9 for the first time was this: "Wow, IE 9 looks so much like Chrome now. And it now performs so unlike a Microsoft browser! It doesn't feel like IE anymore!"

They are, however, referring to upgrading the IE 8/IE 7/IE 6 installation on your system. You should upgrade to 9 anyway just to keep your system from being susceptible to those security vulnerabilities the old IE versions suffer from.

Wait until you get to running IE 10. Hehe…

IE 6 users cannot upgrade to IE 9 or later, since using IE 6 means that your operating system almost always have to be Windows XP or older, and Windows XP can upgrade to at most IE 8. But, yeah, upgrading your IE version is still a good idea no matter what your operating system is, since it's a system application in the end, and patches have to be applied anyway, right?

I feel that IE 10 is the sign that Microsoft is back in the browser wars with a vengeance. Hehe…

ruby

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    The first thing that I thought when I opened IE 9 for the first time was this: "Wow, IE 9 looks so much like Chrome now. And it now performs so unlike a Microsoft browser! It doesn't feel like IE anymore!"

I don't have an IE on any of my systems running windows, getting rid of it is one of the first things I do on a new installation.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I don't have an IE on any of my systems running windows, getting rid of it is one of the first things I do on a new installation.

Hehe… the stigma that IE had for years seem to be still around. I wonder whether you'd be giving IE 10 a try when the true beta rolls out for Windows 7?

I think I do not appreciate any WebKit-based browser at all these days. To me, they just seem to be so... slow. I think I personally am more interested in real-world performance, and... uh, graphical performance seems to not be WebKit's strong suit. At least, on a Windows desktop.

ruby

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    I wonder whether you'd be giving IE 10 a try when the true beta rolls out for Windows 7?

I severely doubt it. It might finally be an acceptable browser now, but they lost me as a user a hell of a while back.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Thinking about the thread title...

I was one of the beta testers for IE 9.
    I was one of the users of the Release Candidate of IE 9.
    I upgraded to the final RTM ASAP.

I haven't looked back since - IE 8 is a dog in comparison to IE 9, and now with IE 10, I don't think I can go back to Chrome. Hehe… In fact, before I upgraded to IE 9, my main browser was in fact Google Chrome. It's just a bit too slow in graphical performance, especially with a lot of alpha blending. Just my two cents.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I feel that IE 10 is the sign that Microsoft is back in the browser wars with a vengeance. Hehe…

Well... They are getting there at least. They are still a pain to develop for though. My CSS breaks even in IE10, so I have to rewrite it based on what it allows.

I have two CSS sheets... Internet Explorer 9-10 CSS and everything else CSS. The browsers is ok, but why can't they be more standards compliant? :\

ruby

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    [SIZE="a"]This is one of the main issues I have with IE.[/SIZE]

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well... They are getting there at least. They are still a pain to develop for though. My CSS breaks even in IE10, so I have to rewrite it based on what it allows.

I have two CSS sheets... Internet Explorer 9-10 CSS and everything else CSS. The browsers is ok, but why can't they be more standards compliant? :\

Huh?

Your page layout shouldn't be breaking big time in these two browsers.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Why so opposed to Chrome?
    I hate the look and feel, I hate the iffy privacy settings, and I hate that Google deliberately made it hard to implement a decent ad blocker (though I understand why, to be sure). Also, their ToS used to say that anything you typed in the browser was property of Google, though they eventually removed that. Might be fine for some people, but I'd rather stick to Firefox (or specifically, Pale Moon, which is what I use).

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    As for me, it's simply the fact that Chrome has negligible graphical acceleration. All the scripting performance means nothing if your page acts and scrolls like a slideshow. Not to mention the privacy brouhaha.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The only reason I have it installed right now is to test sites. Hmm...

Binging google privacy yields interesting results.

Back