• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues

Which party are you voting for? (If you could vote...) Foreigners are welcomed.

• Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 98 63.2%
  • Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Third Party (Green, Liberatarian...etc.)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote...

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atomic Reactor

same here!
    lol i like fox news :)
    Oreily FTW!
    and Hannity :P

Atomic Reactor

I love watching that! They get so pissed it makes me laugh XD

did you know that he's like... 73?
    i guess he gets a lot of botox.

Atomic Reactor

Oh, lol. He said he was 73, but now that I recall, he did sound a bit sarcastic lol

Atomic Reactor

lol, wikipedia is like, against the rules for references XD (not here, other places)
    But yeah, I think we should cease this conversation, it has nothing to do with the '08 elections lol

XD

Years
    Heh...

Kinda true....lol. Sorry tommy =X

Scary...you guys actually listen to what they're saying...O_O...Eh doesn't really matter...

But anyways more depressing economic news:

Global Market Turmoils continue: https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7617976.stm
    (The Lehman Bros. collapsing and Merryl-Lynch merger is old news =P)

AIG Teeters as Markets face more trouble: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94660752

How can I help but be pessimistic right now...I know your going to oppose what I'm going to say but you have to realize that as the Economy falters people need Social Services even more...But at the same time we're cutting Social Services for our grandiose buyouts of Wall St.

https://www.salon.com/comics/tomo/2008/07/29/tomo/

Eh..At least the Federal government has draw the line on the Lehman.Bros and actually started to discipline Wall St...Also Global Diversification has cushioned the blow...

Also I watched the PBS special "American education in the 21st Century" and is NCLB really not working? I mean they did also point out hat we don't have a National Standard and have unequal distribution of funding...But accountability has to count for something...

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Are we going to Bail out everyone??? We already have a large budget deficit!!!
    https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26787984?GT1=43001

Thoughts?

I don't particularly enjoy debating economic issues because I'm not very educated about the economy. It's harder for me to take a stance because you can't really inject morals into your argument...and that's probably my strong point =P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    So what do the McCain supporters here think of Palin? I think she's an insultingly poor VP choice, even for the Republicans, but it doesn't seem to bother them too much. Is it just begrudging acceptance?

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    So what do the McCain supporters here think of Palin? I think she's an insultingly poor VP choice, even for the Republicans, but it doesn't seem to bother them too much. Is it just begrudging acceptance?

In an election like this, I think the republicans needed to do something out of the ordinary to stand out from the pack. Whether you like her or not, Sarah Palin is definitely getting the republicans some attention (granted, some of this is negative). I was really quite surprised to hear that she was elected, but I gave her a closer and found she has strong conservative values. I also agree with many of her policies. It'll actually give republicans something to be enthusiastic about this election year. So all in all, I think it was the choice that needed to be made to give the GOP a chance in November. The only problem I see is, obviously, lack of experience, which the Democrats will (and should) play on during the debates. Should be fun to watch =P

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    I'm not a McCain supporter but I can not stand Palin. She's just such a-- well I think you know what word I would put here >.>
    I think McCain picked her as his VP as a pathetic attempt to win over "fence sitting" Hilary supporters.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I'm not a McCain supporter but I can not stand Palin. She's just such a-- well I think you know what word I would put here >.>
    I think McCain picked her as his VP as a pathetic attempt to win over "fence sitting" Hilary supporters.

I'd put the same word on Hillary.....

And why do Democrats get so mad about Palin being picked to win over Hillary voters? Do people actually think that women swing voters are going to say "Well, I'm a Democrat, and even though I disagree with every one of Palin's beliefs, I'll still vote for her because she's a woman"?

No, Sarah Palin was picked for her strong conservative policies. Yes, she's a woman, but with McCain being the "Maverick" that he is, they needed a true republican on the ticket to win back moderates that might have been leaning the other way.

Really, that argument is quite silly when you think about it. Everyone knows she won't win that many Hillary voters. And if that's the case, why complain about it? It's a win for the Democrats, right? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if Democrats think that choosing Palin was a horrible move for Republicans, why must they keep bashing away at her as though she was some type of political criminal? Because they see her as a threat. Someone who will actually help the Republicans in November. That's the reason for these ruthless attacks on her and her family. It's fine if you don't like her, but really, don't mistake her for someone who was chosen to win Hillary voters. That's obviously not the case. And don't pretend like she's a horrible VP choice...because she is absolutely not.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    if Democrats think that choosing Palin was a horrible move for Republicans, why must they keep bashing away at her as though she was some type of political criminal?

She wasn't a horrible move for the Republicans. She was a horrible move for America. If McCain croaks, this lady is going to be president of the United States. And she is absolutely NOT a good VP choice. She has demonstrated an incredible amount of ignorance regarding how our country works. She had no idea what the Bush Doctrine was, she has condemned abortion under any circumstance unless the woman happens to be her own daughter, she has admitted multiple times to not even knowing what a vice president does. Her executive experience includes being the governor of a state with no people in it. She is applauded for all this and yet a state senator/community organizer/harvard law graduate is considered 'inexperienced' or 'untested'. Give me a break.

Also, I wouldn't consider McCain a 'maverick' after he's reversed practically every one of his somewhat-less-than-conservative political positions to the point of becoming a hollow puppet-man for the Republican party.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    She wasn't a horrible move for the Republicans. She was a horrible move for America. If McCain croaks, this lady is going to be president of the United States. And she is absolutely NOT a good VP choice. She has demonstrated an incredible amount of ignorance regarding how our country works. She had no idea what the Bush Doctrine was, she has condemned abortion under any circumstance unless the woman happens to be her own daughter, she has admitted multiple times to not even knowing what a vice president does. Her executive experience includes being the governor of a state with no people in it. She is applauded for all this and yet a state senator/community organizer/harvard law graduate is considered 'inexperienced' or 'untested'. Give me a break.

Also, I wouldn't consider McCain a 'maverick' after he's reversed practically every one of his somewhat-less-than-conservative political positions to the point of becoming a hollow puppet-man for the Republican party.

I respect your opinion that Palin is not a good VP choice, and in some ways she isn't, but you absolutely cannot use the experience argument to its full potential while you have Obama running for president with one Senate term under his belt. He has a little more if not the same amount of experience as Palin. That's just the way I see it, and you see it the other way. Really, if you think about it, the experience arguments cancel each other out and we should just be concentrating on actually policies. And besides: Obama is running for president. Palin is running for vice president. They simply cannot be compared equally. The difference is Palin might get into office if the Republicans win, but Obama WILL get into office if the Democrats win.

And I'm sorry if you think liberal smear sites are "reliable" sources of information, but I happen to prefer getting my news from somewhere that isn't totally biased and actually has cited sources...

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I'm not saying that Palin isn't experienced and Obama is (even though I personally believe that to be the case), I'm saying that it's hypocritical of McCain to criticize Obama's lack of experience when he himself chose a VP with even less experience.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I'm not saying that Palin isn't experienced and Obama is (even though I personally believe that to be the case), I'm saying that it's hypocritical of McCain to criticize Obama's lack of experience when he himself chose a VP with even less experience.

Just as Democrats are hypocrites when they criticize Palin's lack of experience when they have someone running for president who also lacks experience. Our definitions of experience obviously differ, but I see the point of your argument, just as you hopefully see the point of mine.

Back