• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues

Which party are you voting for? (If you could vote...) Foreigners are welcomed.

• Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 98 63.2%
  • Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Third Party (Green, Liberatarian...etc.)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote...

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Obama has the best policies by far...

Mccain is Bush II
    If you have looked at McCain's record during the Bush Administration, he was more of a hindrance then a helper.

The next debate is on Tuesday and it is in town hall style format. That means that the audience, not the moderator, ask the questions. If you could ask any question to either candidate what would you ask?

I would ask:

• Senator McCain, would you include light pollution control in your energy plan?
    • Senator Obama, in February you stated that the Washington, D.C. handgun ban was constitutional yet in June the Supreme Court ruled that it was unconstitutional. After the ruling, you stated that the court made the right decision. How do you reconcile your February position to your June position and what type of gun laws will you support as president?

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • Senator Obama: Considering the immense deficit that the country has in terms of revenue, do you still plan on putting 18 billion dollars into Global warming research and stem cell research?

Chairzard

Professor oak finished chair
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2008
    Wow awful lot of democratic votes, aw well it makes sense considering most of the people here are under 18.

Too bad you guys cant vote, Mccain 08

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    At this point, I'd like to ask the question. Forget the policies on abortion, guns, healthcare, and everything else.

I'd like you guys to answer how you think EITHER of them can solve the economy, which is rapidly falling back to the depression age. Because, though I still support McCain, I seriously think neither one can do anything to stop the inevitable, and we'll just have to let history repeat itself, and recover naturally.

Mooshykris

Chairzard

Professor oak finished chair
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2008
    At this point, I'd like to ask the question. Forget the policies on abortion, guns, healthcare, and everything else.

I'd like you guys to answer how you think EITHER of them can solve the economy, which is rapidly falling back to the depression age. Because, though I still support McCain, I seriously think neither one can do anything to stop the inevitable, and we'll just have to let history repeat itself, and recover naturally.

Mooshykris
    Someone believes media hype to much, we are in no way shape or form going to fall back to the depression age, we still have the highest Gross Domestic Profit of any country and it is still increasing.The value of the dollar always increases and decreases at certain intervals in history and there is no reason to suspect it won't recover.

Sure our economy Isn't in its prime right now, but that whole depression talk is ********.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Someone believes media hype to much, we are in no way shape or form going to fall back to the depression age, we still have the highest Gross Domestic Profit of any country and it is still increasing.The value of the dollar always increases and decreases at certain intervals in history and there is no reason to suspect it won't recover.

Sure our economy Isn't in its prime right now, but that whole depression talk is ********.

THANK YOU! I couldn't agree more, although the economy is not doing incredible, we've had a positive GDP for the past two quarters. Last time I checked, that's not a recession.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Actually, my worry is not with the big business. My worry is with the effects of this on the lower middle class people like my family. I don't see this all powerful bill stabilizing anything for us.

I used to be quite optimistic about the economy, but I don't see anything changing. I'm just concerned for people like my family who struggle already.

Mooshykris

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Actually, my worry is not with the big business. My worry is with the effects of this on the lower middle class people like my family. I don't see this all powerful bill stabilizing anything for us.

I used to be quite optimistic about the economy, but I don't see anything changing. I'm just concerned for people like my family who struggle already.

Mooshykris

Hopefully those trillion+ dollars will be put to good use. It hasn't really had enough time to have an effect, but economies are complicated business, and it could be a while before things start to get better.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Yes, I agree.

But yeah, that's why I'm worried. I'm worried for our own sake, not for the big businesses.

Mooshykris

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Yes, I agree.

But yeah, that's why I'm worried. I'm worried for our own sake, not for the big businesses.

Mooshykris

Indeed. I'd be disappointed if that money was used to bail out companies that were dishonest and reckless, instead of helping people that actually need aid.

Years
  • Ok I agree that the Middle Class must be protected....That's why I support the Democrats....But you have to admit, just because were under 18 doesn't mean we don't know what were voting for...

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Ok I agree that the Middle Class must be protected....That's why I support the Democrats....But you have to admit, just because were under 18 doesn't mean we don't know what were voting for...

Just to clarify...The Republicans don't hate the middle class. They just go about supporting them in a different way then Democrats, and each policy is up for debate. At times, certain policies work better than others...that's all I have to say =P

Sounds

Attrapez les tous!
    Years
  • Just to clarify...The Republicans don't hate the middle class. They just go about supporting them in a different way then Democrats, and each policy is up for debate. At times, certain policies work better than others...that's all I have to say =P

thats exactly what i would have said

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I want to know what the frell they're going to do about these ridiculous gas prices. It's an imminent problem for me. Are they going to let us rot until newer energy technologies come out, or what?

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I want to know what the frell they're going to do about these ridiculous gas prices. It's an imminent problem for me.

In all actuality, the market determines the price of oil, which determines the price of gas. Since supply is relatively low, obviously the price must rise. I mean...people are quick to blame the oil companies for the high prices, but if they don't charge what the market requires they won't make any money, then no one will have gas =X

We could start drilling for oil in the humungotastic reserves we have right here on American soil, but Congress obviously thinks that's a bad idea -_-

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
  • The oil companies have gotten too used to 100+ dollar a barrel oil. I heard on the news that some oil-producing nations were going to cut supply because of falling oil prices. =_= Never mind the fact that it's still higher than it was just a few years ago. At any rate, there's very little the government can do to cut oil prices without going all communist and demanding that the oil companies lower their prices, because it's all decided by supply, demand, and the situation in the Middle East. Any kind of oil speculation, whether in the Gulf of Mexico or in the suspected gigantic reserves or Alaska wouldn't have any effects for many years, so there's really nothing they can do to lower gas prices in the immediate future.

Years
  • Wow...Were in the Last month of the US Campaigns...This is the Home-Stretch folks...
    I thought that this was going to be "New", non-partisan, and "Positive" politics. Both candidates have "stretched-the-truth" (Eh...I'll stop it with the euphemisms BOTH OF THEM ARE LYING IN THEIR ADS) Seriously...The Up-to-date American People are tired of this negative mud-slinging. It just pushes a lot of people away from listening to your "Official" campaign platforms. Essentially "Stupid campaign distractions" whatever happened to the Issues? The economy is in a crash. Europe is now in a panic like us a couple of weeks ago...Seriously both candidates should get their acts together.

What I'll ask the candidates if I could in the Town Hall Debate: (HealthCare)

Sen. McCain: The Obama campaign has accused your $5000 tax-break healthcare plan (Buy-insurance) as being funded by massive tax increases, Please extrapolate on how it would truly be funded and work to benefit Americans.

Sen. Obama: The Healthcare plan you are proposing provides base-line coverage to all Americans. Now with the $850 Billion Federal Bail-out Plan has passed, How are you going to fund this massive Government Healthcare insurance plan?
    (Not the Universal Healthcare I wanted, but it's a start and we could always expand)

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
  • Meanwhile, we have the "W" movie about George W. Bush coming out on October 17. :P

Anyways, any kinda of talk about having a mud-free, higher-level campaign is just that: Talk. All the politicians end up just throwing stuff at each other and hoping something will stick. People might say they hate negative ads, but the fact is: They work.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I want to know what the frell they're going to do about these ridiculous gas prices. It's an imminent problem for me. Are they going to let us rot until newer energy technologies come out, or what?

Honestly, what could anyone do? Oil is a limited resource, prices are going up, and politicians can't just magically poof it back to $2 a gallon. We'll probably just have to stick it out until electric cars are economical.

In the mean time, I'll just take the bus... although bus tickets are starting to go up too. :(

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I actually like T. Boone Pickens' plan a lot. But neither candidate seems to support it in full.

As the campaign goes on...I've come to the conclusion that I dislike both candidates. XD I liked McCain eight years ago and he should've gained his party's nomination then. But, he's just not the same now and I dislike Palin. With Obama...Hillary would've been a much better choice. And I just don't see him as having the experience. He said so himself before he started running and Biden (although he won't admit it now) and Carter say the same.

Last edited:
    Back