• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[US] House of Representative Republicans Suing President Obama

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The Republicans in the House of Representatives have voted to sue President Obama for presidential overreach, arguing that changes he made to the Affordable Healthcare Act as executives powers should have gone through Congress.

The suit is expected to claim that Obama, a Democrat, exceeded his executive authority in making unilateral changes to the Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare.

Republicans argue that by delaying some healthcare coverage mandates and granting various waivers, he bypassed Congress in violation of the U.S. Constitution.

Republicans have complained about other unilateral actions that Obama has taken to advance his agenda, from executive orders on immigration policy to same-sex partner benefits.

But they have narrowly focused the suit on the healthcare law because "it is the option most likely to clear the legal hurdles necessary to succeed," said Republican Representative Pete Sessions of Texas, who chairs the House Rules Committee.

"This administration has effectively rewritten the law without following the constitutional process," Sessions added.

Once again, Congress wasting time on political squabbling instead of getting things done. Whoo, democracy!

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but he did say "sue me" at some point, although it was probably sarcastic. I guess the republicans took him literally. They would be better served going for impeachment on the grounds that he's taken to using executive orders to replace legislation, in blatant disregard of separation of powers. And he flaunts that fact, just going around saying he's got a pen and a phone, and can therefore do what he wants if Congress doesn't do what he wants.

And frankly, it's better that Congress isn't doing anything, because lately whenever they have done anything, they've been passing laws and using them to jam an increasingly long bureaucratic rod up a certain somewhere.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I think Obama has more grounds to sue the House than the House has to sue Obama at this point. Congress is utterly useless right now.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • A friend of mine showed me this news a few days ago, and I was planning to create a thread about this after forming my thoughts on this situation until I was beaten. This is nothing but a waste of time for the government, as there are other issues they have to deal with other than lawsuit.

Silais

That useless reptile
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    I'm not exactly surprised about this. House Republicans have been quite candid when it comes to the fact that, regardless of what Obama and the Democrats are promoting, they will do as much as they possibly can to prevent it from being passed into law. Suing the president is just another act of defiance, which is quite childish in itself.

Back