• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

User Ranks??

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    I don't know if this has been suggested before but I think the forums would be a bit cooler if each user had a user rank picture under his/her name reflecting his/her post count or staff position. Just my opinion but I'm sure that there are some graphic savvy people here whom would be eager to make one and maybe even a competition could be held. And btw I know staff already have them :P

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Don't think so because:

1. The staff is lazy
    2. Serebii stole this first
    3. Members are not unique until they donate *cash cash*
    4. *
    5. 4 is null

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Well, if you don't change your user title, and you post a lot, your user title will change depending on how many posts you have.
    I forgot the list, but it's in the FAQ.

Also, the userbars are there to separate staff and supporters from the regular members. Regular members don't and shouldn't have supporter benefits.
    If regular members had one, that'd be one hell of a page loading time.
    You don't realize how long it takes for a dial-up user (not saying I have it, but I've had it, so I know how it is) to load an image like that.
    More images means more loading times and server hiccups due to more requests for the images via the member's browser.

See why?

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    Yayyyy. Support plox? I think this would bring alot more members to the site

Years
    Well, if you don't change your user title, and you post a lot, your user title will change depending on how many posts you have.
    I forgot the list, but it's in the FAQ.

Also, the userbars are there to separate staff and supporters from the regular members. Regular members don't and shouldn't have supporter benefits.

See why?

Beginning Trainer 0
    Trainer 120
    Advanced Trainer 500
    Gym Leader 800
    Elite Four 1500
    Pokémon Master 3000
    Pokémon-de-Superb 5000
    Poké-perfecto 8000
    OMG - I Have too Much Time on my Hands! 12000
    Nobody will ever have this title. 2147483647

Also, I am against the idea of post-based rank images for the reason in the above quote and that there may be an influx of spammy, not well thought out posts due to this being an incentive to get the highest post count possible.

BTW, I don't see how this would bring in more members. "OOHHH!!! PRETTY IMAGES FOR POSTING! I JOIN NOW!" I just don't see that happening.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I like the idea as long as it's not too similar to Sppf's system. Who knows? Maybe some people will stop asking for more things to be added such as colored usernames and such.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    I like the idea as long as it's not too similar to Sppf's system. Who knows? Maybe some people will stop asking for more things to be added such as colored usernames and such.
    Maybe they'll just want more supporter-only benefits because we'd be giving them one and they'll think "Oh Sweet! We got userbars! Maybe they'll give us colored usernames and more PM space too!".
    Just saying.

Maybe they won't, but think about it.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Well, seeing as hardly anyone uses the text-based ranks due to custom usertitles, I think this would be a fine idea. Definitely something that would make PC that much better. =P

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Well if you were to implement something like this couldn't you at least make it optional?
    I don't like ranks myself so i wouldn't use it but i think it's a nice idea for other members. But like i say ranks don't matter that much to me. At least when it's optional it's not trapping members into using the ranks.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Maybe they'll just want more supporter-only benefits because we'd be giving them one and they'll think "Oh Sweet! We got userbars! Maybe they'll give us colored usernames and more PM space too!".
    Just saying.

Maybe they won't, but think about it.

I did. The thing is that images under usernames depicting postcounts aren't benefits for supporters; it doesn't exist on this site. If regular members want supporter benefits then say no but if they want to have something new for all members then there's no reason why it shouldn't be considered for the reason you stated.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    I did. The thing is that images under usernames depicting postcounts aren't benefits for supporters; it doesn't exist on this site. If regular members want supporter benefits then say no but if they want to have something new for all members then there's no reason why it shouldn't be considered for the reason you stated.
    Hmm, I could've sworn that the userbar images were for supporters and staff only.
    Must've just been my imagination.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    Here are my thoughts, No. Here's my reasoning, I've been at forums that gave every user a specific badge or iamge under their names based upon post count, etc.. and they all had one thing in common. The staff was very hard to pick out. In my opinion the way things are set up now where Staff/ Supporters have a badge/ image is great because it allows users to easily pick out the staff. I know there have been a few instances already where just the supporters have been confused for staff, I even get a PM now and then from a new member, but that is a small amount of error. Taking that into consideration, can you imagine the amount of confusion there would be is everyone were given a badge?

My answer on this is no, We have a good system that allows us to find and distinguish staff members quickly and easily, this idea has the potential to throw new members into a huge state of confusion and that's not how we operate around here.
    This is my take on the matter, thanks for reading.
    Gerri

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    *sigh* I'm neutral and I didn't think that staff would like but oh well.

I would only like it if the post differences are at an adequate semi-parabolic difference. And if it makes SPPF go "ZOMFG WtF?!" XD

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Here are my thoughts, No. Here's my reasoning, I've been at forums that gave every user a specific badge or iamge under their names based upon post count, etc.. and they all had one thing in common. The staff was very hard to pick out. In my opinion the way things are set up now where Staff/ Supporters have a badge/ image is great because it allows users to easily pick out the staff. I know there have been a few instances already where just the supporters have been confused for staff, I even get a PM now and then from a new member, but that is a small amount of error. Taking that into consideration, can you imagine the amount of confusion there would be is everyone were given a badge?

My answer on this is no, We have a good system that allows us to find and distinguish staff members quickly and easily, this idea has the potential to throw new members into a huge state of confusion and that's not how we operate around here.
    Gerri

I have a feeling, if this were indeed to happen, that the staff would make sure that the images were clear in their purpose. Perhaps they could be smaller than the staff and supporter badges we have now?

But I know where you're coming from. I've gotten the occasional PM from someone who thinks I'm on staff =/

Kyle Black

Banned
    Years
    well this is what i think,
    i think members who has
    at least 1,000 post or
    atleast 5 reputation points
    should get a badge, because
    i guss making a new staff
    member depends on the quilaty
    of posts and the number of posts,
    and if im not mistaken, i
    think people gets reputation
    by their posts, so if
    a member gets 1,000 posts or
    5 reputation points they should
    get a badge because when picking
    out a new staff it will be
    really easy to find, and
    i hope you people understand
    what i am trying to say...

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Hmm, I could've sworn that the userbar images were for supporters and staff only.
    Must've just been my imagination.

I thought I said "images under usernames depicting postcount". We're both imagining things I guess since this idea hasn't been brought up in a while. Of course it was going to be given to supporters to address what tier they were. What would you give members? A tag stating "Member".

Of course, images under a person's username isn't as big as perk when compared to more Private Message space, larger avatars, blogs, etc. This idea might not go through but there isn't a valid enough reason to not let it receive a fair appeal by the staff.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    i think members who has
    at least 1,000 post or
    by their posts, so if
    really easy to find, and

I'll try, but I'll have to uncolumnize that block of text first @~@

well this is what i think, i think members who has at least 1,000 post or atleast 5 reputation points should get a badge, because i guss making a new staff member depends on the quilaty of posts and the number of posts, and if im not mistaken, i think people gets reputation by their posts, so if a member gets 1,000 posts or 5 reputation points they should get a badge because when picking out a new staff it will be really easy to find, and i hope you people understand what i am trying to say...

Ahh, better.

First of all. 1,000 posts is no hard task. Also... 5 Rep points? Every single new member would be capable then o.0' I think you mean to say Rep Pips. 5 of those green things I presume?

Also, this is about ranks on the number of posts, not on certain criteria. For example, you get userbar X when you reach Y Posts.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    I thought I said "images under usernames depicting postcount". We're both imagining things I guess since this idea hasn't been brought up in a while. Of course it was going to be given to supporters to address what tier they were. What would you give members? A tag stating "Member".

Of course, images under a person's username isn't as big as perk when compared to more Private Message space, larger avatars, blogs, etc. This idea might not go through but there isn't a valid enough reason to not let it receive a fair appeal by the staff.
    I understand you said "images under usernames depicting postcount", but it's basically the same exact thing as a userbar/badge, which is an "image under a username". Just because you'd get it by post count doesn't mean it's a completely different thing.

Staff have them because they got a staff position, Supporters have them because they donated. They aren't different.

Of course it's "not as big a perk", but that's just it, It's STILL a perk.
    Gerri Shin posted a pretty valid reason if you ask me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Don't think so because:

1. The staff is lazy
    2. Serebii stole this first
    3. Members are not unique until they donate *cash cash*
    Shortened to my version.

Beginning Trainer 0
    Trainer 120
    Advanced Trainer 500
    Gym Leader 800
    Elite Four 1500
    Pokémon Master 3000
    Pokémon-de-Superb 5000
    Poké-perfecto 8000
    OMG - I Have too Much Time on my Hands! 12000
    Nobody will ever have this title. 2147483647

This actually isn't that wonderful of a thing at all...
    I could easily change my user title to those manually, which would make this whole thing pointless.
    The exception to this is "OMG - I Have too Much Time on my Hands!", because that exceeds the character limit of the user title.

BTW, I don't see how this would bring in more members. "OOHHH!!! PRETTY IMAGES FOR POSTING! I JOIN NOW!" I just don't see that happening.

Well, not everything being done in this forum needs to have something to do with pouring in new members to this forum. Sometimes, you can just make something to satisfy current members, and just so that it looks more pretty.

Gerri

After what I said earlier, it might sound like I support this idea of having user ranks of some sort;
    But in reality, I actually agree with Gerri Shin instead.

i think members who has
    at least 1,000 post or
    by their posts, so if
    really easy to find, and

I'll use K9's idea to answer this one...

well this is what i think, i think members who has at least 1,000 post or at least 5 reputation points should get a badge, because i guss making a new staff member depends on the quilaty of posts and the number of posts, and if im not mistaken, i think people gets reputation by their posts, so if a member gets 1,000 posts or 5 reputation points they should get a badge because when picking out a new staff it will be really easy to find, and i hope you people understand what i am trying to say...

The number of posts don't judge a new staff - the quality of the posts do normally.
    Anyone could easily achieve 1000 posts by posting short, unreadable spam around the community to increase their post count.

And as for reputation, don't even get me started. Reputation is given by normal members too, and is not a deciding factor for anything at all, not even respect or something stupid along the line.
    They can be, and they already are given for no real reason at all most of the times, and it'll take most members years to understand that reputation is to judge the quality of a post, not whether you like it or not, so this is not needed either.
    Besides, there is already a mechanism for viewing reputation on the upper right side of any person's post.
    And besides, 5 reputation points are way to less. I think you even start out with such rep in the first place... 150 rep would be considered noticeable.

Kyle Black

Banned
    Years
    I'll try, but I'll have to uncolumnize that block of text first @~@

Ahh, better.

First of all. 1,000 posts is no hard task. Also... 5 Rep points? Every single new member would be capable then o.0' I think you mean to say Rep Pips. 5 of those green things I presume?

Also, this is about ranks on the number of posts, not on certain criteria. For example, you get userbar X when you reach Y Posts.

yeah... but that
    was my opinion about the
    1,000 posts and 5 rep pips
    but lets turn it into
    2,500 posts and atleast
    8 rep pips? it also
    would be a hard task..​

Back