• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Using "cute" pokemon...

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    its been assumed by most; that most "cute" pokemon are good for nothing. but i can't help to deny such a statement. most such as Minccino and the like i found rather useful at times, i only wished it was possible to raise one into a powerhouse or to take a hit.

how about everyone else, do you have such a pokemon like in your party? planning to? not even daring to try?

kirbyking1234

The Destroyer
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Apr 7, 2012
    Well I use Eevee in my LC battles... It's a trickery team. Bronzor, Porygon, Slowpoke, Cubone, Eevee and Duskull.

Nateon

Pokemon Will Be Real One Day!
    Years
  • I use pokemon for looks not stats, my little Kibago wiped out the eigth gym and random other things, as did my eeveeloutions and random 'cutes' like clefable, they've proven their worth and i'm happy to keep using them =]

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Using "cute" pokemon...

Hello, I'm Petilil. Aren't I the cutest thing ever? ^-^ Now I'm going to kick your ass. xoxo

In other words, cuties can kick booties. ;)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    This looks like a discussion more suitable for the Gaming Central board as it relates to most of the Pokémon in each generation.

As for the statement of cute Pokémon being known weak, I disagree with such judgement. Just take a look at Blissey and Whimsicott. Both are at an agreement of cute in appearance, but can be very annoying when it comes to competitive battling. The defense contained for Blissey gives a challenge for most people (even outside of the competitive battling field) and the speed and moveset given to Whimsicott annoys many, including me. XD To add on to it all, I'm one that doesn't really judge on the appearance of a Pokémon to consider strong or weak, but rather what it does for me when used outside of the competitive battling field and inside of it.

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    hah, i see your point, now if only i could get a minccino/Cinccino like that...

Years
  • As Kaori said, appearance doesn't define a Pokemon's battling ability. While they may be legendary, Victini, Manaphy and Jirachi are all "cute", are they not? They're also all threats in the metagame I've seen 1st stage evolutions blow through Gym Leaders and Elite Four members. I mean, if you level a Pokemon enough, I'm sure it can be on par with the in-game opponents. Also, I find Reuniclus cute, and it's one of the deadliest sweepers in the metagame.

Last edited:

Nameless.

most such as Minccino and the like i found rather useful at times, i only wished it was possible to raise one into a powerhouse or to take a hit.
    Actually, if you want to get really technical about Minccino and Cinccino [especially Cinccino], they can be amazing powerhouses. Get a Minccino with the ability Technician, level it until it learns Tail Slap. Evolve it, then go to a move tutor with Heart Scales on hand and teach it Rock Blast and Bullet Seed.
    Technician : Moves with a base power of 60 or less raise to 1.5 times.
    All three moves are a base power of 25, but they hit 2-5 times. Due to Technician's boost, all three moves get a rough base power boost to 62. To add on, Tail Slap gets a STAB boost for the Normal typing. The other two moves are elemental, but hit just as hard thanks to Technician. Imagine hitting up to 5 times in one turn with a move that has 62 base power. Yeahhh, thing is deadly. :D Oh yeah, Echoed Voice gets a pleasant boost from Technician too with a base power of 40, as well as STAB damage.

As for the stereotype, yeah I disagree with cute Pokemon being useless. Take a glance at my pal Victini here. V-Generate is a Victini-only move and it's one of the most powerful moves of all time, and is the most powerful fire move. Base 100 Attack power and a STAB boost to an already base 180 power move. They are not as frail as they appear to be, and most of them will wipe the floor with you if used correctly. Don't be silly. :x

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    that's some neat info, i've always taken the normal type for granted due to having no type advantages, but with that math makes me want to experiment a bit, i think i was a bit hollow in my original post, thanks for clarifying

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Benny the Audino and Tricky the Victini are two of the most awesome Pokemon on my Black team. Benny can take hits really well, can also deal damage very well, and can be just plain annoying at times. Tricky is also a powerhouse.

I think cute Pokemon can kill stuff just as well as everything else. (Though I have yet to see a trainer besides me who uses an Audino. Does no one like Audino?)

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    i used Audino once, but became too weak for my liking, which was one of the reasons that led me to make this thread, go figure!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Most of my favourites have usually been pretty lame in terms of battling. :( I also sometimes (but not often) leave Pokémon unevolved because I adore their original forms but don't really like their evolutions (like Houndour).

But I'm not one to pay attention to stats and whatnot. I barely even look at natures when I train something. I just attribute any suckage to my ability as a trainer rather than "weak" Pokémon or whatever. :p But it makes some playthroughs really difficult when I insist on using my weak favourites. (Or too many favourites of one type, haha.)

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Who says you have to use them for battle? :P I think there are a lot of cute pokemon that kick butt like my Quagsire >:]

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Musharna is cute and gives me nightmares at the same time. Double the fun, and it has potential in the metagame.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Like Kaori said, Pokemon shouldn't be judged for battle based on their looks, with the Blissey and Whimsicott examples. I'm also adding Dragonite to this.

As for me, I sometimes put cuteness as a factor when I choose my starter Pokemon (sometimes, the cute Pokemon may turn more fierce when they evolve, like Piplup into Empoleon).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I choose my Pokemon based on looks, but I make it a point not to use Pokemon in an unevolved state.

And this might be a good place to mentioned that I was DESTROYED by an Azumarill in a tourney battle at an anime convention. The other guy Baton Passed Swords Dance to it, and it just used Aqua Jet and its Huge Power ability to kill me off:/

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Every Pokemon will kick ass if it's raised to a high enough Level - looks have nothing to do with anything.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    The way I see it, cute Pokemon can be just as powerful as any other Pokemon if you train them right. During my play-through of Platinum, my Piplup helped me through a lot and I beat the game with him.

I choose my Pokemon based on looks, but I make it a point not to use Pokemon in an unevolved state.
    Same here. What really matters the most (aside from the EV training) is how I conduct the battle. Even a Ratatta can beat down an Arceus with the right moveset and strategy (F.E.A.R. anyone?).

Back