• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Using gif sprites, and automatically scaling them

Years
  • I had many problem when importing sprites.
    I know we using Sprites Png, but is there a way to uses gif pictures instead? When I tried to put Gif pictures, it don't display, and I don't want to uses png.
    And one more problem: how can I automatic scale sprites if them bigger than the main screen?
    Please help me!

Years
  • Unless you are using Luka's animated sprite script, which is included in both the Gen VI Pack and the Elite Battle System (so if you have either of those, yes you are using it), then GIF pictures should work within Essentials.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Unless you are using Luka's animated sprite script, which is included in both the Gen VI Pack and the Elite Battle System (so if you have either of those, yes you are using it), then GIF pictures should work within Essentials.

Aaaaactually, while I never ever recommend using GIFs, EBS stealthily supports the usage of GIF sprites. (This also depends on the version of EBS you may be using).

Itachi, RMXP has problems dealing with GIFs: transparencies not drawn correctly, frames getting corrupted, much higher loading times, rare crashes...all in all it's pretty bad. RMXP actually doesn't support the usage of GIFs by default. That is another addition offered by Essentials (which is why you have that gif.dll in your root folder). Any instance of Essentials that uses AnimatedBitmaps will support plug and play GIFs. Other instances, where the sprites offer more basic bitmaps, you may need to adjust the type of sprite it is using to be able to use GIFs.

Last edited:
    Years
  • If that so, how can I make png animation? My png animation work in battle, but when using on intro, or show in starter selection and when using on contest, it just showing a lot of picture. I wonder where that script.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Neither Essentials, nor my add-on are magic. There is nothing in it that would automatically know that at one instance you want to use this type of sprite, and at another a different type - unless you tell it to. Now the significant drawback is, that since RMXP itself was designed to be using static images, the built in event editor's Show Picture command, will not be displaying the sprites formatted for my system as animated sprites (and I don't think it animates gifs either). This should hopefully be logical. If you wish to use my sprite system, you'd have to draw your sprites through script to display them properly.

Back