• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Various Poryscript Issues

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    Ahoy o/

Decided to attempt working on a decomp project, but for the time being I'm just trying to get things set up so I can test it out. In getting things set up, I've run into a few issues with Poryscript, which hopefully is just me being dumb and is easily fixed.

I've set up poryscript the way that Hulerdem mentions in his readme file, making the appropriate edits in the MakeFile and Make_Tools.mk files, but then I'm not sure how things are meant to proceed from there? I attempted following a tutorial on using it that I'd found on youtube (tutorials on poryscript seem rather... thin on the ground), but this chap made a new script file for a new map. For testing purposes, I was attempting to edit a script that already existed (LittlerootTown), but there's only the scripts.inc file, and no scripts.pory that I could even edit using poryscript.

The readme file for poryscript doesn't really give any indication for editing existing scripts, and when I tried a longshot attempt at converting it using poryscript, it just threw up errors. If anyone has any insight on how to proceed, or knows of a tutorial that I may have missed which explains exactly all of this, that'd be very helpful.

There's also the issue with actually using poryscript commands in the terminal, which again may just be me being dumb. In his readme file, Huderlem brings up the poryscript help text with:
    Code:
    > ./poryscript -h
    When I try to do this, I just get "bash: ./poryscript: No such file or directory" as a response. Only way I was able to get up the help text was changing it to:
    Code:
    ./tools/poryscript/poryscript.exe -h
    This seems a little much to have to type out each time, so was wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue as well?

I'm hoping that this is all easily resolved and that I'm just an idiot. Fingers crossed you can make me be not-an-idiot!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
    The readme file for poryscript doesn't really give any indication for editing existing scripts, and when I tried a longshot attempt at converting it using poryscript, it just threw up errors. If anyone has any insight on how to proceed, or knows of a tutorial that I may have missed which explains exactly all of this, that'd be very helpful.
    https://github.com/huderlem/poryscript#usage

You make scripts.pory files in the different maps' folders, and write your scripts using Poryscript's syntax. That's basically it.
    You can rewrite the vanilla game's scripts using Poryscript's syntax too, but it's a huge ordeal and there isn't much of a reason to do it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    https://github.com/huderlem/poryscript#usage

You make scripts.pory files in the different maps' folders, and write your scripts using Poryscript's syntax. That's basically it.
    You can rewrite the vanilla game's scripts using Poryscript's syntax too, but it's a huge ordeal and there isn't much of a reason to do it.
    The issue is that this is exactly what I tried to do, but when I compiled, it deleted the entirety of what was already in scripts.inc and replaced it with what was in scripts.pory, which was obviously not what I was trying to achieve. I mean I could always just write the scripts in Huderlem's online tool, translate them there and put them in manually, but that kinda defeats the purpose of setting it up to automatically compile them during the make process

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
    The issue is that this is exactly what I tried to do, but when I compiled, it deleted the entirety of what was already in scripts.inc and replaced it with what was in scripts.pory, which was obviously not what I was trying to achieve. I mean I could always just write the scripts in Huderlem's online tool, translate them there and put them in manually, but that kinda defeats the purpose of setting it up to automatically compile them during the make process
    Well yeah, the point of Poryscript is to process the overworld scripts with its own syntax, so naturally, anything inside a scripts.inc file is built off a scripts.pory file if there is one.

For the vanilla game's scripts you can copy the contents of a scripts.inc file, paste them inside a scripts.pory file and enclose everything with a raw ` tag and then add a ` at the end.
    For example, like this: https://pastebin.com/jgUDP29F

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    Well yeah, the point of Poryscript is to process the overworld scripts with its own syntax, so naturally, anything inside a scripts.inc file is built off a scripts.pory file if there is one.
    I mean I understand why I suppose, it just seems... inconvenient? Guess I've got to bear in mind that this is a little more in depth than the binary hacking I've done before :P
    For the vanilla game's scripts you can copy the contents of a scripts.inc file, paste them inside a scripts.pory file and enclose everything with a raw ` tag and then add a ` at the end.
    For example, like this: https://pastebin.com/jgUDP29F
    Thanks for this suggestion! I've given this a shot and it works perfectly. This was definitely the suggestion I needed.

Have to say, I'm not sure if Poryscript's worth the hassle so far. I suppose it'd be more handy if I was writing new scripts for new maps, just seems a bit convoluted for editing what's already there.

Either way, I greatly appreciate your help with that particular issue, at least I now know what I can do to handle it going forward!

Back