• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vegetarianism

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    I HATE vegetarians and vegans for one reason... that reason is:

What the hell is the point in you rambling about how vegetarian you are and how awesome you are because of it.. then you go sit on your leather couch, put on your leather shoes and use whatever other animal product stuff you have!!

Just shut up and eat the damn meat, you not eating meat isn't going to stop the animals from being slaughtered to make meat AND clothes AND Furniture etc.

anyway, thats my rant ;)

I<3U meat

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I eat meat, but only because it's there whether I eat it or not. Thrown into the wild, I would never be able to kill and eat an animal. Come to think of it, my stomach would probably not take kindly to that. I believe I read somewhere that our bodies unfortunately don't handle raw meat very well anymore.

If I were in the wild, not being handed meat ready to eat, I would definitely be a vegetarian. That's completely ignoring the fact I might very well die. Never claimed I was ready for the wild now did I >.>

Kaylenn

Slow Yet Powerful Idiot
    Years
    oh my!

i love being a vegitarian....
    i had to give up on meat because it made me sick.
    and when my family eats it i can't be near them..
    like you can eat poultry and drink milk...
    but thats kind of the bare minimum of being one.. do you ever run into sterio type people who say your not when they see you eatting something thats not exactly meat or what ever?

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    I always considered organic food to be one of the biggest, most successful scams in history. I mean, why pay more for food that hasn't been treated to deter insects, bacteria and the like from munching on it?

Because some people don't want to eat chemicals and prefer the natural way. Pretty obvious.

Years

but thats kind of the bare minimum of being one..
    I wouldn't exactly consider Poultry being vegetarian, but excluding Dairy is generally Vegan rather than Vegetarian in my opinion.
    do you ever run into sterio type people who say your not when they see you eatting something thats not exactly meat or what ever?

I have plenty of times come across people like that, it's just silly sometimes.

Katie_Q

Years
    I HATE vegetarians and vegans for one reason... that reason is:

What the hell is the point in you rambling about how vegetarian you are and how awesome you are because of it.. then you go sit on your leather couch, put on your leather shoes and use whatever other animal product stuff you have!!

Just shut up and eat the damn meat, you not eating meat isn't going to stop the animals from being slaughtered to make meat AND clothes AND Furniture etc.

anyway, thats my rant ;)

I<3U meat

I don't think you should put ALL vegs. in that steriotype. i agree a lot are like that, but plenty of them won't use anything from and animal, including leather. Also they don't all shove their beleifs down your throats. But I see how you could come to that conclusion, so many of them are like this

Years
    Organic is not a scam. In fact, I'd rather a a grasshopper that ingest pesticides.

I think pesticides are scams. Sure I understand locust, but seriously how come in other countries they use no pesticides and are still living, breathing and possibly better than us?

Besides, even if they used pesticides that had no side effects, I'd trust nature, because it's helped me a lot. And it came before us.

Peach Fresca

Underrated Pokémon Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2010
    I've only recently become a vegetarian. When I was little, I had to eat chicken and turkey because everyone else did. We never ate mammals.

Personally, I just get sick at the thought of eating something that once had a face. :| Although I don't care if someone else eats meat. Just don't talk about how delicious it is and I'm fine with it.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    especially eggs (UNBORN CHICKENS! YOU MONSTERS!)

You're aware that farmers specifically sell eggs that are unfertilized, as in, there's no baby chickens in them, right? ._.

Also. I'm just going to throw the definition for Vegan out there. Seems like there may be a bit of confusion as to what one is.

Google said:
    Vegan: a strict vegetarian; someone who eats no animal or dairy products at all

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Because some people don't want to eat chemicals and prefer the natural way. Pretty obvious.

But why pay more, more for food that has not been treated with chemicals that the farmers pay for in the first place. The chemicals don't hurt you any way and bioaccumilation can be averted, so I see no reason to pay more for it.

i love being a vegitarian....
    But... that isn't vegetarianism. Poultry is meat. Vegetarians are people who don't eat meat. It's just like people who claim to be vegetarians but eat fish. Fish is a meat. It is the flesh of an animal, therefore it is meat.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    But why pay more, more for food that has not been treated with chemicals that the farmers pay for in the first place. The chemicals don't hurt you any way and bioaccumilation can be averted, so I see no reason to pay more for it.

But... that isn't vegetarianism. Poultry is meat. Vegetarians are people who don't eat meat. It's just like people who claim to be vegetarians but eat fish. Fish is a meat. It is the flesh of an animal, therefore it is meat.

Organic food is a limited supply, that is why its more expensive than conventional food, not to mention loads of variables that need to be taken into consideration about growing organic food, which inevitably means its going to be expensive. And yes, pesticides do actually cause harm. pesticide poisoning, not only to us the consumers, but to the actual farmers harvesting your food. But to tie this back in to the topic...errr nevermind.

There are many different kinds of vegetarianism as well. Yes, chicken is a meat, but its a WHITE meat. therefore, it would be called semi-vegetarian and so forth. And that's acceptable too as well, its a person's choice.

Years
    Not quite, actually... In terms of production methods, yes, being vegetarian IS indeed more Eco friendly... but at the same time it is not. And there is also a reason why the meat "normal omnivorous humans" DO consume largely is from herbivorous/omnivorous animals, and it's not just because of the extra nutrients obtained through it. (even if we only receive 10% of what they received, thus only 1% of the photosynthetic energy the plants received from the sun.)

It's, ulteriorly, a way to keep a type of check/balance. If we suddenly stopped consuming meat, even if we could still obtain a healthy amount of nutrients from such a lifestyle, it would be a terrible decision when you look at the ecosystem developmentally. We are now what keeps a lot of herbivorous species in check... Livestock more specifically. (even if we are also the reason they're on the verge of ballooning out of control in the first place...) If we suddenly stopped killing them for food, and let them produce at will, even if another animal started to pick them off, it wouldn't be at as rapid a pace, thus the population of these creatures would swell out of control... and thus an overconsumption of plants would occur, causing their lifespans and growth patterns to shift dramatically.

If I need to back up this argument, allow me to go off topic with my basis. Wolves. In Yellowstone more specifically.

Spoiler:

Basically, If humanity all decided to go vegetarian due to just being more Eco friendly with production methods, we would be essentially exhausting the world's resources faster than nature could recover from. It would bring about mass conflict over who controls the more rapidly dwindling resources and how to portion it "fairly" (though the past has shown that is never the case...) which would, of course, spiral further out of control.

So, I think what I'm trying to say here is, as good of an idea as it is, we are currently in a spot where the omnivore population has to considerably outnumber the herbivore/vegetarian population of humanity to keep a type of check or balance in order.

Believe it or not, I actually agree to an extent, Live. It's just AP Bio has taught me to really nitpick these types of things. I just couldn't keep the "flaws"/missed details I spotted to myself.

Though I may just be looking too far into it again... I always find an argument at 1 AM.

No no im not saying everybody should go vegetarian, or vice-versa because its easier on the environment. Production wise, its less costly, that what i was getting at. Its hard on the environment to support either of them really. like you said, that balance is so thin any change can have disastrous consequences. Not many people realize how much money it takes to produce the meat we buy from the grocery store, or the fruits and vegetables we buy.

Interesting tidbit:

it takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce a pound of processed beef, from birth to slaughterhouse.

Organic foods can cost 50-100% more than their counterparts at the store

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    Each to their own I suppose. If you're a vegetarian, then be one - just don't get your hopes up that it'll stop animals being slaughtered.

I myself am not a vegetarian. I think it's perfectly natural and harmless to eat other animals. And, let's face it, meat is gooood... o_o

Rich Boy Rob

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    There are many different kinds of vegetarianism as well. Yes, chicken is a meat, but its a WHITE meat. therefore, it would be called semi-vegetarian and so forth. And that's acceptable too as well, its a person's choice.

veg·e·tar·i·an (vj-târ-n)
    n.
    1. One who practices vegetarianism.
    2. A herbivore.
    adj.
    1. Of or relating to vegetarianism or vegetarians.
    2. Consisting wholly of vegetables and vegetable products: a vegetarian diet.

Noun: pescatarian ,pes-ku'teh-ree-un
    A person who eats fish and shellfish but not meat
    - pescetarian

Pollotarianism (also called pollo-vegetarianism) is a neologism to denote a dietary choice, in which a person does not consume mammalian meat such as beef, pork, and lamb, but does consume chicken. As with lacto-ovo vegetarianism, there are usually no restrictions on non-flesh animal products such as dairy and eggs.

Annoyingly I couldn't find a site with all 3 definitions, so enjoy the mish-mash.

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
    Years
    I'm not a Vegetarian. I do, however, support Vegetarians fully. I just couldn't live without chicken. But if I go to my Vegetarian friends house I'll eat whatever she cooks me, I don't expect her to cook any meat for me.

Years
    I'm not a Vegetarian. I do, however, support Vegetarians fully. I just couldn't live without chicken. But if I go to my Vegetarian friends house I'll eat whatever she cooks me, I don't expect her to cook any meat for me.

See of my friends down the street from me and his family are practicing Hindus, so they don't eat meat, and i absolutely love eating dinner with them. The food his mom makes is simply amazing. ^__^ granted its so spicy it can singe your eyebrows haha

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    No no im not saying everybody should go vegetarian, or vice-versa because its easier on the environment. Production wise, its less costly, that what i was getting at. Its hard on the environment to support either of them really. like you said, that balance is so thin any change can have disastrous consequences. Not many people realize how much money it takes to produce the meat we buy from the grocery store, or the fruits and vegetables we buy.

Interesting tidbit:

it takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce a pound of processed beef, from birth to slaughterhouse.

Organic foods can cost 50-100% more than their counterparts at the store

Yeah. I think I just got carried away.
    But as true as it would be that it would be less costly to let the meat die of natural causes, it wouldn't be as healthy that way, in any sense of the word.

Basically, we're in a hole where we have to expend the resources we do in order to keep balance. If switching diet was all it took (and oh man I wish it were...) I would do it gladly.

And I THINK Organic foods cost more because there might be some issues still without the use of chemicals which could be worse than side affects when they are used. I believe they are being cautious in case of a problem like that outbreaking in their particular crop(s).

Katie_Q

Years
    A bit off topic, but to do with the organic thing. I've seen pesticide being sprayed on crops. The sprayers were wearing protective clothing and head gear, which means that it's dangerous. So yeah it's a bit stupid. And because of organic being more expensive (I think it's because they aren't using the chemicals to kill off the bugs, so theres not enough crop all the time. But I'm not sure...) not everyone can afford it. My family prefers organic, but we have so many loans to pay off and just can't afford it. Which is annoying.

Rich Boy Rob

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    A bit off topic, but to do with the organic thing. I've seen pesticide being sprayed on crops. The sprayers were wearing protective clothing and head gear, which means that it's dangerous. So yeah it's a bit stupid.

That's because breathing in gallons upon gallons of insecticide would be lethal. However the tiny percentage that remains on the individual harvested crops is by far and away no where near a lethal dosage and that's before the harvested crops are cleaned. That is unless you ate something like an entire fields worth of crops without them being cleaned, as the poison would accumulate.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    I'm one of those in-betweeners.

see, I'll gladly take some Chicken or Turkey or whatever. But if it's not a bird, I Will. NOT Eat it. The ONLY exception I'm making are the Chillidogs from Sonic. Those things are AMAZING. (I MAY on occasion eat a small bit of Grandma's Meatloaf. I dunno how she does it, but whatever she does, it's REALLY good!)

Oh, and as for eggs and milk...
    Milk, for whatever reason, makes me get a stomach ache if I get too much at one time. So I don't really drink much of that stuff now. I'll just take Silk if I can.
    and Eggs? I don't ever remember being particularly fond of them for some reason-They always had to have at least 2 other ingredients with them, Cheese, Ketchup, on a sandwich with Turkey and Lettuce, ANYTHING, JUST NOT PLAIN.

It's really just a diet thing... not so much the eggs/milk thing though. (then again I never particularly liked Red Meats to begin with... Uhg, I hate Sausage. (though, I really loved pepperoni)

and as often as meats and now EGGS are getting recalled... yeah.
    But, I'm still growing, I really should have SOME sort of meat, and for whatever reason, Chickens seem to be like Superman. XD (not to say that Chickens haven't been recalled before... I just can't remember it happening in a long while)

yeah. Either I suddenly became VERY picky, or I'm overly paranoid. I dunno.

EDIT: my dad is vegetarian, so that kinda influenced me.

Last edited:
    Back