• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Voice acting, maybe?

What do you think about voice actung in the 5th Gen?

• Total voters

chillj

Not active anymore.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2022
    Wouldn't it be cool if Pokemon Black and White had voice acting? It would be pretty cool to hear actual pokemon cries like in the anime? And maybe when you start a new game, you'd be asked to record something like "Go! Pikachu!" using the DSi microphone and when you sent out a certain Pokemon, what you recorded for sending it out, it would play back. You could record "Go!" and then record the name of every Pokemon... all 600 or so... and when you sent it out, it'd play back go and the name. Cool, right?

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    I like the idea however i wouldn't record all of the pokemon names. On wifi it could be risky bcuz ppl could say watevr they want and other people'd hear it.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    That is interesting. Although, it should be like a seal. You put it on a Pokemon and record what you want to say. The Pokemon might have a nickname. For example, if I were to put it on a Clefable, I would want to say, 'Go! Clefable!' I'd rather say 'Go! Pixy!'.

And it could have some. If there were pre-rendered cut-scenes or something like that. o3o

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I'd like to see some usage of the Mic, but not voice acting.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    It's definitely not a bad idea or anything...I'd just get horrible, horrible Hey You Pikachu flashbacks.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
    it'd be cool if all the voice acting was monitored for wifi and i wouldnt record for all the pokemon, that would take forever!

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2014
    Thats good for the Adventure part but it should be deactivated during Multiplayer because Stupid people will say stuff XD

chillj

Not active anymore.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2022
    Maybe you don't record voices in the beginning, but you could record "Go, (insert Pokemon name here)!" after you catch it so you wouldn't be waiting so long for actual gameplay.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    I'd rather not have it, especially with Pokemon cries, since that would change a whole lot about the old Pokemon (from the games, not anime) I know and love. I don't want this game to have a lot of ties to the anime, since I'm not a fan of it. I might be fine with the microphone stuff, though, if it's optional.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I think these games might just be the only ones I like without some sort of voice acting.

Years
    I wouldn't like it if my game started talking to me. I don't see how it adds anything. It's gimmicky. Put me firmly in the no voice acting category.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I'm pretty sure all that would happen if there was voice acting is the many people who would complain about how the voices are good or anything. I like voices in games, but I think Pokemon is just fine without it. Maybe if there was an option in the options menu to have voice acting or not that I'll fine but otherwise, no thanks.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I'd love voice acting for the Pokemon, but recording our voices for the battle calls.. not so much. xD;

Seems like it would be a hassle.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I think these games might just be the only ones I like without some sort of voice acting.
    Yeah, Pokémon is just one of those games that doesn't need voice acting to be put into it. They actually did it with Chatot and its move Chatter. You could record your voice and say what you like, so when it came out to battle it would play that recording. Honestly, the quality of it wasn't really put out well, and that's to be expected with the DS/DSi mic. So, I'd probably prefer for this to be one of those features not added - at least not now.

If Pokémon could say their actual names when called out instead of their cry, then that's something I wouldn't mind.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    In games like Pokemon, in-game VA only really works during fully rendered cutscenes. It'll be way to much effort to have every single NPC have an audible voice...and I don't foresee fully rendered cutscenes unless the story takes a huge turn towards a darker tone. :P

Also, I've always preferred the pokemon's game cries to their anime cries...just sounds more traditional.

As for recording your voice for the player character's battle lines, it could be fun to play with, and make better use of the mic than Chatter does. But imagine those of us that will play as the opposite-gender player character...I for one have a masculine baritone voice that would be hilarious to hear coming from the new playable female trainer. XD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years

Yeah, Pokémon is just one of those games that doesn't need voice acting to be put into it. They actually did it with Chatot and its move Chatter. You could record your voice and say what you like, so when it came out to battle it would play that recording. Honestly, the quality of it wasn't really put out well, and that's to be expected with the DS/DSi mic. So, I'd probably prefer for this to be one of those features not added - at least not now.

If Pokémon could say their actual names when called out instead of their cry, then that's something I wouldn't mind.
    This fits my viewpoint exactly. :/

Voice acting would be weird in Pokémon. Notice how the protagonist never says anything? Yeah. That's because they want YOU to be the protagonist. It's harder to project yourself onto a character that has a voice that isn't yours. Some series do this okay by having everyone else talk but I always find that awkward and to be honest, I just can't see Pokémon (the main series) having voice acting. I don't think I'd like it much.

But I would adore if we could have Pokémon saying their actual names rather than the current cries.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    No. it wouldn't fit, and would probably contrast with the basic visual style. Doubt the quality would be good as well. And the voices would take up a HUGE amount of space considering how much pointless dialogue there is.

And I'm not a fan of having the "real" voices either. The GB noises are more interesting.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I voted ehh. Voice acting would be cool, but I've played games where the voice acting was atrocious. The things that annoy me:
    --the character has some annoying voice
    --the speech isn't in-sync with how the lips of the person moves or the situation around.
    --voices that take too long to get through.

The positivies to them:
    --IF done right they can really make a game seem more realistic and fun
    --Sometimes the voices are cool (my fav. voice acting was done in Xenosaga trilogy and Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner...halo's was pretty good too)

voice acting in pokemon would be totally different. some people may prefer it and some may be against it (as seen from 13 people voting no) so it's really not that easy to tell if it makes a game better or worse. I can see Nintendo experimenting with this sometime in the future though. But for the time being and for the distant future we won't have it. Idk but despite liking voice acting at times the mysterious aura that revolves around the trainer you plan is kind of interesting.

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
    Years
    Voice acting would require Game Freak being able to have full CGI videos within the game or have full 3D models for their NPC's which would require more space then an actual DS game can handle. Now Voice Recording/Mic usage can be done since technically its already available for all Gen IV games. But a major NO to voice acting just due to the logic required to make it usable.

Back