• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Voice Chat

Do you prefer to keep Voice Chat on or off usually?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
    Years
    I've seen some people request that Voice Chat be turned off when trading or battling.

Why is Voice Chat so bad? I think it's a great function. You can talk to someone far away without jacking up your phone bill with it. It's also very useful when trading, for last minute negotiations and such.

For this thread, not only would I like an explanation of why Voice Chat is so bad, but I'd also like those who post why they prefer Voice Chat to be on or off, so that this doesn't become a "yay or nay" thread.

Darkblade

The Ultimate Espeon Fanatic
    Years
    I keep it off. The feature was a great idea in theory. It doesn't work that well, you can barely understand the person on the other end, and it greatly affects the speed, something like 10 times slower

Ichikool

D/P Lover
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    Don't you need to buy something for that? I think you do, and if I had it, I'd probably use it.

Ichikool

D/P Lover
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    Oh. I didn't know that. For some reason, I thought you needed a headset or something. [seen in pics...]
    Maybe I'll try them.

dtex9002

Once-Retired Trainer
    Years
    I agree with previous posters; sometimes a wifi battle can be ruined by the immaturity of the person on the other side. Voice chat, IMO, is best utilized between people who already know one another (i.e. regular battlers, traders), ensuring neither party becomes subject to whining or complaining.

Super Duder

Super Badass
    Years
    It all depends on the type of person or the type of trading/battling we doing
    If i know the dude, ill probably talk to him.
    and if we're trading with complicating stuff, then ill talk to them.

Other then that, its normally off.
    Its kind of hard to understand what they're saying.
    :[

Kime-Ko

Little Monster Trainer
    Years
    I like it on because you can talk to other people and discuss trades and stuff.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2022
    Voice chat

I like it on.its kinda cool ta talk to some1 youve never herd from!

SHP133

is the Original Gator Hater
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    i like the feature. it's cool to talk to people you see on the forums. slows down battles though. now for trades it works wonders(last minute negotiations and whatnot)

Years
    I usually have it turned off, though I used it the first few times I got Diamond, but I am generally a shy person and probably wouldn't know what to say anyway.

MegaMushroom07

Animal Crossing Most-Wanted
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    I keep it off since people whine when I KO their Pokes. Curse them.

I'm very suprised that stupid parents of kid gamers aren't complaining about the feature, saying that it contributes to Paedophilia, or something.

Years
    I keep it off since people whine when I KO their Pokes. Curse them.

I'm very suprised that stupid parents of kid gamers aren't complaining about the feature, saying that it contributes to Paedophilia, or something.

Agreed. Just about a week ago on our national news channel (BBC, Im from the UK) was voicing parents displeasure about the PS3 and Xbox voice feature on their online games, eg Gears of War, and about the verbal abuse some kids hear.

I think it might be slightly different though with Diamond/Pearl, maybe because we have to add 'so and so's' friend code before speaking to them. At least you have some sort of idea what they are like I guess. I'm 19 so my parents aren't really too bothered, they know I'm sensible. But yeah with the amount of young children on this forum alone, you can imagine them hurling abuse at each other via voice chat. 'My pokemon owns yours' and such.

Years
    Yeah, I remember watching it and my parents (who say I play a lot of games as it is, which I do, but hey =P) were like, hey doesn't your little white thing let you talk to people? Shows their lack of gaming knowledge calling my DS a little white thing xD

MegaMushroom07

Animal Crossing Most-Wanted
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    Ha, my Mum does exactly the same thing. My Dad, on the other hand, it highly unspecific. He entitles all forms of gaming as 'Tapping'.

XD.

Years
    Haha completely clueless eh? =P

But like I said, I guess the reason why Diamond/Pearls voicechat function hasn't been pick up on is because you have to the add the person before you speak to them, while the console games are more of a random occurance meeting people etc I think.

Back