• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wait, Hypno, where'd you get that pendulum?

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    I was just looking through Hypno strategies, when I noticed he's holding a pendulum! Ok, that's not the strange thing: the strange thing is that he's never seen without it, and it spontaneously generates upon evolution. Why does this happen? And is it attached to him, so Hypno could never be without a pendulum? Who knows?

What other odd objects do there seem to be? I know Slowking has that little ruffle-thingy around his neck, but none others come to mind. And where do these things come from?

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Kadabra gets a piece of silverware, 'Kazam manages to snag another one ... hmm, so far it's looking like psychic powers play a part. :P

Though when nude little Machop evolves it does score some, for lack of a better word, underpants.

Primeape has metal bands on its wrists.
    Marowak trades that little sharp-ended bone splinter for a, uh, femur?

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    I would have to say Blastoise gaining metal cannons is a bit odd. And with the Hypno always having a pendulum thing, you could say Farfetch'd always having his stick.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I would have to say Blastoise gaining metal cannons is a bit odd. And with the Hypno always having a pendulum thing, you could say Farfetch'd always having his stick.

Farfetch'd having a stick isn't all that odd though considering he doesn't have a pre-evo...but then again he does have it when he hatches from an egg. o_0

Hitmonchan also comes to mind as a fully-clothed pokemon that evolves from a generic bestial pokemon. :P

Years
    Hypno probably just finds some random rock. Farfetch'd and Kadabra are understandable; they aren't going to make sprites with Pokemon lacking their tools just for when eggs hatch, that's ridiculous. The Blastoise thing is rather strange, and I don't even want to think about Jynx.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    lol i think that hypno found his pendelum inside of a cheerio's box and never looked back
    (come to think of it i wouldn't look back either)

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    The same reason why Kangaskan hatches with a baby in it's pouch. Sprite limitations!

Where the objects in question come from, I am uncertain. Many items that would seem to be part of a Pokemon's physiology (such as Cacturne's hat), are implied in Mystery Dungeon to be actual articles of clothing rather then part of their body, but whether they get the objects from somewhere, or whether they just generate with the Pokémon upon evolution is unknown.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2010
    According to something I read somewhere Kadabra and Alakazam's spoons are made of pure psychic energy. Or, that is the theory.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    The thing eats people's dreams and can be stuffed inside a tiny metal ball for storage, and you're worrying about where the pendulum comes from?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Moving to Pokemon General since it's not game specific. As for the topic, I don't even have a witty come back to it. Sorry to disappoint you, babes.

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
    Shedinjas Halo is pretty odd, but that's most likly made form ghost energy that's generated after reanimation.

And on a more interesting note, what of the little rock that spiritomb seems to be coming out of. I mean I know the original Spiritomb was in prisioned in it, but what about when you breed it?

Oh and is that a pair of pants Lucario has on?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Shedinjas Halo is pretty odd, but that's most likly made form ghost energy that's generated after reanimation.

And on a more interesting note, what of the little rock that spiritomb seems to be coming out of. I mean I know the original Spiritomb was in prisioned in it, but what about when you breed it?

D=< It's not pants! grargharblfgsfdsetc. Actually, in Brawl it's clearly shown as fur.

Gameplay and Story Segregation comes in here. in-universe, I'd assume that actual clothing for humanoids is just a public decency issue, Hypno and Kadabra have psychic tools, and... I've got nothing for Spiritomb. Perhaps there's only supposed to be one? Or... Ah! Pokemon with psychic powers form their tools from the nearest suitable substance. So, a bred Spiritomb would just inhabit dirt which compresses into a rock upon birth.

dragontamerandrea

i love my scalies. :3
    Years
    Farfetch'd thing is like a little vegetable that could just be growing everywhere though, Hypno's thing could be spawned from its own powers

When a Spiritomb hatches it might just attach to any random rock lying around, like the spiritomb doesnt actually breed it summons more spirits to come or something?? lol and for Lucarios shorts, could just be flaps of hide?

dragontamerandrea

i love my scalies. :3
    Years

When a Spiritomb hatches it might just attach to any random rock lying around, like the spiritomb doesnt actually breed it summons more spirits to come or something?? lol and for Lucarios shorts, could just be flaps of hide?

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2010
    Farfetch'd having a stick isn't all that odd though considering he doesn't have a pre-evo...but then again he does have it when he hatches from an egg. o_0

Actually, it's a Leek, not a stick, and Farfetch'd, contrary to how it may seem in the Video Games, is not always with a leek immediately after it is born.

The same thing applies to other pokemon, as well. Kanga is not born with another baby Kanga, Marowak / Cubone's bones are taken from its deceased mother (I do believe -- at least Cubone's helmet is). Dugtrio is not one Diglet + two spontaneously generated diglet, but three Diglet who come together to form a group (same as Magnemite + Magneton).

The simple answer is that the game, as has already been stated, has sprite limitations. And, really, I highly doubt everyone would want to go through the realism of a Farfetch'd searching the woods for a usable leek. I'm pretty sure Hypno can use its psychic powers without the use of an instrument but prefers one to enhance itself, much as Kadabra and Alakazam.

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
    And, really, I highly doubt everyone would want to go through the realism of a Farfetch'd searching the woods for a usable leek.

I think you may have just come up with a new minigame. I want to help Farfetch'd search for a leek D:< And Hypno for an amulet... It would be fun!

I guess the psychic pokemon just make their things, and who knows, maybe in the pokemon regions, leeks grow all over the place, or perhaps you can only find Farfetch'd in areas with lots of leeks.

There is clearly a logical explanation for this.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Also not odd considering it's a plant you can find most anywhere (sort of; garden vegetables were once normal plants, and probably still are from where they originate; see this image, naturally occurring tomatos). You don't just find Hypno pendulums lying around... well, I'd hope not. But hey, that's why Hypno are much rarer, maybe.

Last edited:
    Back