• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WARNING: This website is spreading misinformation.

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Years
  • https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...charmander-squirtle-bulbasaur-you-name-it.htm
    For those who are unaware, allow me to explain.

In Sun/Moon, there is a feature known as QR scanning. You can scan QR codes with the 3DS camera. Scanning codes will allow you to unlock encounter data for Alola Pokemon you haven't seen yet: This includes shiny forms. Once you scan 10 QR codes, you can perform Island Scan: A feature that allows you to find and capture Pokemon that aren't normally obtainable.

Now, according to Tech Times, you can get the Kanto starters with this method, as well as basically any Pokemon that isn't already in the Alola dex, as long as you get lucky. This is straight-up false. First of all, there are only around 28 Pokemon that you can catch with Island Scan. And while it IS true that you can get two sets of starters this way, the Kanto starters aren't one of them. The two sets, in case you were wondering, are the Johto starters and the Unova starters. Second of all, the Pokemon you encounter aren't random. It actually depends on two factors: The day of the week and the island you perform Island Scan on. You can find the full encounter chart here:
    https://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/qrscanner.shtml

If any of you just so happen to frequent Tech Times as your main source of gaming news, I would advise you to be skeptical if they make any more Sun and Moon-related articles.

Also, one more thing: This article was published on November 26, 3 days after the European release. So no, this isn't datamine-based speculation. This is a lie: simple as that.

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Years
  • At any rate, this is good to know for those who have stumbled upon it, although I'm not sure how many did or have even heard of Tech Times. They don't sound like the first place you would go for Pokemon news and shouldn't be.

This was the first thing that came up when I searched "Pokemon island scan". The Serebii article didn't show up until I scrolled a tiny bit. You still gave great advice though, so I really can't complain.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    This was the first thing that came up when I searched "Pokemon island scan". The Serebii article didn't show up until I scrolled a tiny bit. You still gave great advice though, so I really can't complain.

I stumbled across an article that said this (not sure if it was this one, or a different one) before I got my game, and got all excited about Kanto starters for a few minutes. Being a relatively savvy Pokemon player, I cross-checked it against Serebii, and was sad (though not surprised) to discover that I really couldn't get a Squirtle until I transferred one in January, but I could see how a lot of newer players (and especially the Pokemon GO ones who haven't played since RBY) could end up wasting time on something like this. My guess is that most players on this site are better informed, but still, not a bad thing to point out, especially to potential lurkers.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • I wouldn't really call it a "lie" as you did, someone might have just assumed that the regular QR scanning spawned them in:/

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I thought you were going to talk about Pokecommunity for second there xD

But thanks for the info... I dont know too much about the game (still on second island), so I would be susceptible to believing that info.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Dun matter, in my opinion. If these people claim to be a real news outlet, they should fact-check these things.

But instead of speaking and reaching out to them directly you're complaining about them here because "you don't care", really?

Back