• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was the game too easy?

Have the games gotten too easy?

• Too easy

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • A little easier

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Stayed the same..

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Harder

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
    The first few times I played through I just lucky egg/audino trained but that made it too easy because my Pokemon were well over level 50 by the time I got to the 7th gym. Without doing any of that though, the game can actually be really challenging at some points.

Blazer561

»★BLAZΣR★«
    Years
    To me it wasn't that hard. My Pokemon were relatively strong and I already had 4 legendary Pokemon before getting to N, which were Victini, Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion. Plus catching Zekrom with an ultra ball with one try. However, I haven't completely passed the game, even though my Pokemon are strong enough to defeat the second battle with the elite 4. I train my Pokemon at the big stadium and small court (plus some other trainers you can re-battle), but I'm still too lazy to defeat the elite 4. x)

geeklord98765

geeklord98765
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    I think it was the easiest......I trained a level 2 lillpup....evolved it into stoutland.....now its level 73....finished the main story in a week.....and the remaining part in the next 3 days......elite 4 was too easy to defeat.....only trainer i found challenging was ghetsis.....probably due to his hydreigon.....easiest of all the previous games.....it had taken me months to complete diamond.

Years
    It seems much easier than Ruby and Sapphire did.
    But I thought it might just be because I'm older now.
    So, a couple of weeks ago, I started Ruby again, and got to the E4.

And I still haven't beat them.

-totodile42

Tyranee

Can't read my Poke'-face!
    Years
    I don't think they've gotten easier, just more playable. I remember it being incredibly annoying in Gen1 to catch legendaries because Pokeballs could miss. Zapdos would be there at 1HP and sleeping and Pokeballs could still miss him. Gold-GenIV were pretty easy but Gen 5 I think they upped difficulty on trainers and made the legendaries easier to catch (maybe because there are so many available). It goes up and down per game.

Xena

I have many skills.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2012
    I don't think it was any easier than the previous games. I think it was a lot more fun. :3

ichuesther

The girl with the Charizard.
    Years
    Am I the only one that felt that Black and White was hard?
    I guess it's just me. I was getting pissed at the fact that there weren't many Pokemon that I was pleased with at the time, and it was hard for me to level up my party (well, I guess it's like that for me for every game).
    I honestly thought the lower levels for the E4 was necessary because the game didn't give you much time to level up your pokemon as high anyway. Or it's just me.

Dammit...I wasted too much time looking for the perfect pokemon and moveset.
    I loved the storyline..

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    It was a bit too easy, but it was extremely short. The only challenging battles was N and Ghestis.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    it gets relatively easier the more restarts you do.. I've done 5 restarts now, 1 being accidental cause of my nephews.. Its quite easy.. Difficulty rises when you pick Snivy as a starter..

Years
    I think the difficulty is, to some extent, up to you. Keep your Pokémon in low level, and you're up to a challenge. Grind and make then high, and you better get ready to eat cake.

On the other hand, we have got the tools to grind and make it easy for us this time around, as opposed to earlier games, where you didn't have that many options for grinding, and were left with a big challenge.

In other words, I think GameFreak, imo, made it easier to grind and thus easier for us to eliminate the challenge. If you want a challenge, then you actually have to make decisions and be aware of the difficulty thing, while earlier you didn't have to be that aware of it, since it kinda was hard on default.

I found the game to be challenging and enjoyable, maybe because I tried to make my team have the same levels, as opposed to having one with high level and the rest still around lv 20 XD

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I found the game before the Pokemon League to be a bit easier then other games. The only real trouble I had was from the 3rd gym but that was mainly because of those stupid Emolga and the fact that I had a Water, a Flying and a Grass type at that point. Post Pokemon League however was challenging. I was lucky that my Pokemon were a lot over-levelled otherwise I might have struggled a lot more.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Well, I'll say the difficulty remained the same. It was moderately difficult. Thanks to lots of grinding plus easily available lucky egg, I was able to defeat every gym leader pretty easily. The E4 were the same as any E4 in terms of difficulty, though they had no real level progression.. which kind of disappointed me. Ghetsis, for me, was easily one of the toughest battles in the game (thank you hydreigon).

After the main storyline, the areas uncovered after it.. had wild pokemon which surpassed my whole team. So that was a little difficult too. So, I'll say the difficulty remained the same-ish.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    It was a little difficult. Did you not see the battle with Ghetsis? His Hydreigon swept my whole team in one move. Even after I trained them all to the same level as it. -_-

Also, Post E-4 was pretty hard. Considering all those high leveled Pokemon and trainers.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    To me, the game gave an okay challenge. Though everything went by pretty quickly, and the cities/towns didn't have too much to offer while going through the game. It seemed too short in my opinion, and by the time I reached the Elite Four I pretty much swept through them (and N/Ghetsis). :x I guess that's only because I train to be over the levels they are at though, so it's to be expected.

digitairu

Gym Leader
    Years
    Pokemon from Black/White weak?

Is it me or does going through trainers not as easy as it use to be. I used to be able to go through trainers way easier in older games but for some reason it seems way harder. Are the pokemon weaker then older generations ? I have only got my 4th Badge so far.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
    Dont see it as weak! Play after your favorite pokemons, no matter weak or strong. Pokemon is for fun.

digitairu

Gym Leader
    Years
    No the game is great !! Its my third favorite !! I meant the Pokemon in the game seem weaker then older generations. It creates a challenge but I was wondering are they weaker? There seem to be a whole lot of Normal Types.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Maybe you just picked Pokemon with bad base stat totals. Most of the NFEs this gen don't get very good. After they evolve, then hey, piece of cake. Really.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Maybe you have some unknown type disadvantages It took me while to realise that Rocgenrola wasnt ground and rock, and Gollitelle/prevos went dark so i was fighting witht hte wrong types at first. Gollitelle really should have been dark or at least dark and physic that would have been kool.

Back