• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was the musical a good idea??

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Awful the worst thing threw out pokemon games i loved the one in gen HG,SS and gen 4 and 3 but this one SUCKS the ones in soulsiver were the best though

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
    Years
  • The musicals............I totally forget about it. I wish it will some reward such as a special ribbon so that I can have the feeling that I want to do it.
    Agree with all of these posts above, it is so pointless T_T

Years
  • I have to say that whilst they are mildly entertaining, there's so little interaction, and there's no way ingame other than by eye to judge what items would be best (and some of them are outright odd- square glasses are... elegant? what *looking at Serebii lists* Beret is unique, not cute? Fluffy beard is elegant?)
    They're something to do to pass the time but...
    Couldn't they at least have, for instance, made it similar to the DPP dancing? Couldn't pokemon interact with items even without arms (like... with their tails or wings?)?
    Bah.
    The potential was there, but as near as I can tell, it's overall wasted.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • No rewards, and you don't really do much during the event itself - you just watch your Pokemon do their thing. Not really my cup of tea, and a totally forgettable feature of these games. I might have participated in one. That's it.

Nephilim

Resounding Sounds.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Honestly? No.

The Pokeathlon in HG/SS far outclasses anything contest-wise that B/W has. Heck, the Pokeathlon just about tie neck-and-neck to the contests in R/S/E! There's honestly not much to do, except, as many posters have already stated here, you'd have to dress up your Pokemon and make them dance and whatnot, and...yeah. :( Too much effort in that, to really be honest.

It's fitting depending on your tastes, but it's just not for me. D:

mrcroconaw

That Croconaw
    Years
  • I found them entertaining, only when I was extremely bored though. The musicals could've been a great part of the game, but no: you dress up your Pokemon and watch its sprite be manipulated. :D

I believe the musical was a good idea. I don't believe it was a good feature of the game.

However, the musical is always fun to do when you're extremely bored. With the right mindset, I guess that the musicals could look somewhat interesting. You'd need to be really into it though.

Major Tom

♖♞♝♚ ♛♝♞♖
    Years
  • I found it pretty pointless and boring so I have not wasted much of my time with them.

So basicly I think they where a pretty bad idea overall.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The musical is fundamentally an interesting concept - it's clearly been a decision by the team since HG/SS to retire the Contest formula after two games in a row using it, and I prefer systems that go alongside the battling side of the game, not compete with it like Contests do.

However, the main problem right now with the musical is that they're heavily restricted by technical limitations. You can see how horrible those janky sprites look being tossed around the stage like paper dolls and I'm sure Game Freak knows this too, but they had no choice but to do it this way to actually get it in the game. The Pokéthlon's benefit was that it could re-use the overworld graphics used in the follower system (which probably inspired the design of the Pokéathlon) while the Musicals are much more limited just using the battle sprite sets.

I'm confident that in a game with 3D rendered graphics the Musical has the potential to be a much more engaging and hands-on experience for the player than the Contests ever were.

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    I'm either playing it wrong or it's VERY bad indeed. The contests were great, IMHO, and I liked the Pokeathlon because it was so interactive! But the Musical, it seems to me, is just putting a Pokemon in a dress and watching a twenty second scene of it being thrown around like a paper ragdoll.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • The idea was applied horribly. Great idea, but awful translation.

The Contests were a lovely competitive alternative to battling.
    The Pokeathlon was a wonderful collection of minigames that you could play to get prizes that would help you with raising your pokemon.

The Musical could've had taken both their good points and mixted them together into a unique and fun experience.

But no, all we do is spin canes and throw hats in the crowd to appease little audience of graphics and get more stuff to go back in a do it again.

....but it's sometimes fun to play if you really don't feel like training, though. X3;

ebiltun

Shiny and Event Collector
    Years
  • It wasn't a good idea. I like obtaining ribbons for some of my Pokemon in the older games. In Unova, you can't get any ribbons.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    No rewards, and you don't really do much during the event itself - you just watch your Pokemon do their thing. Not really my cup of tea, and a totally forgettable feature of these games. I might have participated in one. That's it.
    There are rewards though, at the end of the musical, you appear at the reception again, and the people that are standing there will tell you how great you did and give you a prop, but they don't have much use to them outside of the musical, so it doesn't really make a difference.

I enjoyed the contests in Hoenn WAY more, they were exciting and far more interactive. I think those were the best, since it still involved beating other Pokémon with attacks, just in a different manner, and the Musical is just siting and watching which is extremely boring imo. There isn't even a clear winner.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • the idea of the musical never appealed to me in 5th gen. while its good that the creators/designer of the game want to add new features i think that contests were WAY better than the musicals. plus the fact that you could earn ribbons made it even more fun =)

Back