• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weekly Music Mince 3 [Dish #14]

Years
  • [css-div="background-color: #FFF380; padding: 25px; border: double; border-color: #0000; border-width: 17px; text-align: left; width: 635px;"]
    Weekly Music Mince

Hello guys, it's the end of the week again and that means it is once again time for the Music Mince. In this weekly section I serve you up with ten delectable songs that I have particularly enjoyed during the week since the previous music mince.

This weeks selection is something of a smorgasbord covering a really wide range of genres, themes and emotions. Dig in!

Number One
    Song: I Bet My Life
    Artist: Imagine Dragons

Info: I've been a fan of Imagine Dragons since I first heard It's Time on Channel[v] (a channel that primarily plays music videos). This song continues the trend of me liking practically everything they put out. As far as genre goes this song seems to be somewhat folk inspired combining those elements with the typical Imagine Dragons sound. This song celebrates the writer's relationships with his parents.

Number Two
    Song: Pray to God
    Artist: Calvin Harris ft, Haim

Info: As a general rule, I don't like EDM artists. However there is something of a trend right now that seemed to have originated back with Avicii's infusion of country music (and later other genres) into his work in which EDM artists are combining artists and genres I love with music I usually hate to what I feel are positive results. In this song Calvin Harris works with Haim who have a very unique and interesting sound. I have liked everything I have heard from Haim and this is no exception, it's catchy with good lyrics and a powerful vocal whilst still retaining that very Haim feel.

Number Three
    Song: Something Like Avalanches
    Artist: sleepmakeswaves

Info: sleepmakeswaves are an instrumental post-rock band from Australia. I am always impressed with how they can alternate so easily between very chill music like this track and then rock the house with their next. This song, which incorporates a few synth elements, is primarily quite chill but eventually builds to an abrupt, high-energy crescendo before petering into the relaxing, slightly erie outro of the song. Also, you should see them live.

Number Four
    Song: Slice of Heaven
    Artist: Dave Dobbyn and Herbs

Info: This 80's song from NZ artist Dave Dobbyn is one of the catchiest, happiest and most relaxed songs I have ever heard. The vocals and harmonies have an interesting casual quality to them whilst still being very pleasant to listen to. There's not much to say about this song, it's impossible not to be happy listening to it.

Number Five
    Song: Sister Sin
    Artist: Nickelback

Intro: Ever since listening to the No Fixed Address Album prior to writing my first Rant Risotto, I have had this song stuck in my head. Not only is it extremely catchy, it expertly combines Nickelback's typical rock sound with the country. The song's lyrics are very good too and so is its construction. The song also touches on a lot of things many of us can relate to - "I lay besides you every night and dread the day you might be gone" from the chorus being just one example.

Number Six
    Song: Wait in Line
    Artist: James Bay

Intro: This song features a strong vocal from Bay over very simple guitar music. It is the simplicity of this song, combined with the fantastic lyrics and James Bay's top-notch vocals, that give it a very raw feel that I love. There's something very familiar in James Bay's performance here that reminds of an older artist, but I can't place who. Regardless at my annoyance at not being able to think of this person, this is probably my favourite of his songs - but they're all very good so I can't say for sure.

Number Seven
    Song: Energy
    Artist: Superheavy

Info: This supergroup consisting of Mick Jagger, Damian Marley, Joss Stone, A.R. Ramone and Dave Stewart are an interesting selection of artists to have in one song but they pull of amazing things. This song combines elements of reggae, rock, R&B and I'd say mowtown to create a very up-tempo and exhilarating song that is certainly worthy of its name and a great listen.

Number Eight
    Song: Take Me to Church
    Artist: Hozier

Info: At the moment I am hearing nothing but good things about Hozier, and after sitting down and really giving his stuff a listen to I can safely say I am impressed. This is an intense song that seems to be a mix of soul and blues. It is inspired by the artists anger at the Catholic church's stance of same-sex marriage and I must say is not only performed brilliantly but is lyrically brilliant as well.

Number Nine
    Song: Flower on the Water
    Artist: John Williamson

Info: Not many people on here will know this Australian country icon, in fact not too many young people in Australia recognise his name and that is disappointing since he still actively releases music. This is a very sad song about the passing of a dear friend. It's a very subdued and emotional performance that explores feelings practically everyone can relate to. John Williamson is probably better known for his more comical songs, but it's the emotion-filled ones like this that make him one of my favourite artists of all time.

Number Ten
    Song: Beautiful
    Artist: Eminem

Info: When people think of Eminem they tend not to give him enough credit for the emotion in so many of his songs. This song explores the struggles that have come with Eminem's fame (and infamy) but also touches on a more universal issue - a lack of empathy in the world and a need for us all to take a step back and try to see the world through each others' eyes. This song is a masterpiece of rap.

Well, there you have it! This week you've got everything from country, to rock, to soul to rap and across these genres all kinds of emotions and issues explored. I'd love to hear what you guys think of some of these songs so please feel free to share in the comments below.
    -Gimmepie

[/css-div]​

Back