• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird Breeding Mates

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    First off, My Ditto thread came first...
    Second, How can Celebi leave eggs...
    Thrid... If Celebi does leave eggs then were does It get them from...
    Fourth and last, Who comes up with the breeding groups...

Celebi can travel through time. Eggs are spontaneously generated by Arceus or Mew (the Pokemon who have the capacity to create other Pokemon out of nothing). When two Pokemon that show good potential to be parents are in proximity, that Celebi Teleports to Arceus/Mew, who would probably already have an egg waiting for the couple. Celebi exists on multiple time-planes at once, and as such, there can be an infinite number of Celebi present at any given time (if the Celebi image from last year, the year before, and the year before all decide to visit the present, we would see three Celebi). This is made even more interesting when one considers that there may be more than one Celebi! Allow me to call to your attention the ending scene of the fouth Pokemon movie...

And for your last question, the answer could either be Game Freak or the Egg distributor, depending on what sense you meant it in.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    They do, but the Celebi thing is another way for populate the Pokémon world.

Anyways, I made my female Wailord and my male Poochyena together a while ago.

I wonder if they're done yet..... [turn around] [/shot]

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    They do, but the Celebi thing is another way for populate the Pokémon world.

The games make a firm point that no one has ever seen a Pokemon having sex or laying an egg. I would think that after thousands of years of observation, at least one single Breeder would actually see his Pokemon doing the deed, but...

If you're going to relate Pokemon to real animals (by insisting that they reproduce sexually), you may as well include the rest of the science that goes along with reproduction. Inter-special breeding would be impossible due to chromosome incongruency. Closely related Pokemon, like Persian + Delcatty, or Staraptor + Swellow may work and create sterile hybrid offspring, but anything outside of these circles [e.g., your beloved HWOSA] would be physically impossible.

The fact that interspecial "breeding" works in the game should be proof enough that there is no sex involved.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Mawile and Jigglypuff is rather disturbing
    Ditto is a little frustrated.

also, i think that the person who comments how "an egg appeared. No one knows how it got there", is in the wrong buisiness; even if it isnt actual breeding

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Ditto, just simply Ditto. It upsets me that he has all of these kids and does not pay child support XP
    Wailord and Rattata its creepy, how can something that big produce with something that small 0.o

:t354:TG

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    If you're going to relate Pokemon to real animals (by insisting that they reproduce sexually), you may as well include the rest of the science that goes along with reproduction.

Note: Pokémon only very loosely obeys any laws of science. If we're going to go with "inter-special breeding is impossible the way they put it," we might as well also address the fact that in this world, a foot-tall rodent can unleash several hundred volts of electricity, that instantaneous (painless) transformation from a five-foot-long serpent (Dratini) to a thirteen-foot-long one (Dragonair) is completely possible, that matter can be converted into energy and then into data that can be stored on an ordinary computer, and that time/space travel is also possible not only by the magic of the pokémon themselves but also that world's technology (i.e., Time Capsule).

Point is, I think Pokémon fully acknowledges that for the sake of the enjoyability of the game, it suspends a lot of laws of science and realism. That and it's for the sake of simplicity. The reason why a hatchling is the same species as the mother is because game cartridges probably can't handle the hundreds upon hundreds of different possible combinations. The reason why breeding groups are so wide, meanwhile, is so that breeding is made easier for the players. (That is, the player isn't restricted to having to catch more than one member of a species. So long as the player has one member of the same egg group, they don't have to tear their hair out over trying to get a child with the moves and nature they want.)

That being said, the Celebi thing's really just another way of looking at it. It hasn't actually been explicitly proven in canon (yes, 'dex entries considered). Neither is actual sexual reproduction. As I've said in another thread, the game designers deliberately make it ambiguous. In terms of logic, the breeders probably don't tell the hero avatar about the birds and the bees because the kid's ten years old. Sure, we probably knew about it at that age, but try imagining being told how things work by people old enough to be your grandparents. "We didn't see it happen" is probably simply an excuse. In terms of design, it's mostly so we can come up with our own conclusions.

(As a side note, while it's unlikely that a breeder would actually not know how breeding goes down, I think it'd be hard to explain not noticing Celebi hanging around one's pokémon, especially given that -- in the movies, at least -- it emits a song right before or right after it makes a jump through time. So, one could think they're deliberately not telling the hero something, but this concept could apply to really any argument one could offer as to why no one seems to know how pokémon breed.

However, it should also be noted that Elm didn't know that the mystery egg was actually a pokémon egg at the start of the GSC games. Remember, his biggest discovery was that pokémon lay eggs in the first place. This is a well-established, regional researcher, no less.)

In other words, there's really no right or wrong answer. Celebi's one way of looking at it, but please don't say anything else is impossible. Especially if you want to call it a violation of the laws of science (considering how much else in canon is).

Sorry if this sounds like derailing the topic too much. I'm also in part justifying the WTFery when it comes to breeding groups here. As in, it partly makes things easier for the players, and it's probably also because the games just don't make scientific sense. Hence hilarity like Wailord x anything, really.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2021
    What about Joltik and Scolipede?
    Joltik: 0'4" (0.1m), 1.3 lbs (0.6kg)
    Scolipede: 8'02" (2.5m) 442.0 lbs (200.5kg)

Scolipede is around 25 times bigger than Joltik, and almost 400x as heavy. They're both in the Bug egg group, sooo...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    What about Joltik and Scolipede?
    Joltik: 0'4" (0.1m), 1.3 lbs (0.6kg)
    Scolipede: 8'02" (2.5m) 442.0 lbs (200.5kg)

Scolipede is around 25 times bigger than Joltik, and almost 400x as heavy. They're both in the Bug egg group, sooo...
    This thread is several years old and therefore considered dead. If you'd like to start a fresh discussion, feel free to create a new thread!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back