• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script✓] Weird stuff happens when I add another event

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2022
    I'm working on an emerald rom hack. I've come across a bug where it's hard to wrap my head around:

I was walking in Roxannes gym. Then I checked my pokemon and as soon as I closed the menu, the protagonist got a different hair colour and I was controlling an other trainer instead. I was able to walk around and even interact with other NPCs and my team was still the same, but the overworld was now broken. (In the sense that it can soft lock you.) The protagonist is in the way of the exit.) When I leave the building everything gets back to normal.

I've been able to figure out since, that it has something to do with events: If I removed that trainer-event from the map, everything is normal. Also whenever I hide that trainer outside the sight of the player, (Technically it needs to be about 2 steps further away than that.) I don't get the problem either. On the other hand, if I add an event to another map, the protagonist gets weird hair again.

In this case I could find a work around. But I suspect that this problem will resurface at some point in the future. (So far I've not added any events and I'm not sure whether I'll do that in the future.) And I've got no idea where it comes from or how to solve it: While I changed several things compared to the vanilla game, everything worked fine up until this point. Therefore I can't trace it back to anything. Moreover in this gym I haven't done much as of writing this. I only gave that trainer a different pokemon. So no idea why this problem surfaced at this point in time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    @Holalimole

This is a well-known problem. The second "look down" NPC movement type in the list in AdvanceMap is bugged. Instead of that one, use the other "look down" movement type or the "no movement" movement type. If any NPC within the range of the protagonist has this movement type, this will occur when the protagonist returns to the overworld.

It's probably a good idea to replace movement types in the ini of AdvanceMap with the list from this thread: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=306481

Back