• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

weirdly gendered words/things

Years
    Gotta go with the phrase 'man up'. It feels awkward as heck saying this, especially to a woman.
    Apparently making an effort to deal with something tough is considered male. Why though? I see no need for it to be male specific.

Also the blonde/blond and brunette/brunet thing is something I didn't even know lol

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I've only ever heard "man up" used towards other men & it's a horrible phrase rooted in toxic masculinity. Wish it would just go away entirely

I also have never seen/heard blonde or brunette without the e, or if I have have dismissed it as some weird American spelling lol

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Some people still have gendered stereotypes about dog breeds. For example, the poodle. A lot of people assume that poodles are spoiled dogs that don't get dirty or won't be active just because of the cut they see in the shows and the way media portrays them. So instead, they'll get a "big strong manly" dog that they can't handle just because of looks.

also why are boats called "she"?/considered female
    It's the same with cars. Cars tend to be called "she" by pretty much everyone I've dealt with. Which amuses me with my car in particular--because if you want to continue with the stereotypes--I drive a blue car. (Whose name is Dirk, so...)

Back