• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Weirdly popular HGSS pokemon

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I only used Mareep since it's the first Electric-type you find in the game. Personally, I'd prefer my Electric-type to be faster, but...

I've never used Heracross, and I never will. It simply doesn't appeal to me.

Lapras seems to be the go-to Water type for everyone who didn't start with Totodile. I decided to go with Starmie instead :P

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Really? My water-type was Suicune, lol.

I would've thought Lapras would be the water-type for FireRed/LeafGreen, and Slowking/bro and Poliwrath/toed for HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Although I am now considering Poliwrath, as Chuck and a couple of other fighting-type-trainers using him all are/look awesome in their sprites. And pokemon's tadpoles are cool.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    My favorite water type in HGSS is Kingdra.

Good stats and it's easy to get.

GreenLanturn

Interior Crocodile Fraligatr
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012
    i use Poliwrath for the first time ever, and heracross. although i dont know why

8U

I'm random. What about you?
    Years
    I use Ampharos simply because I can catch it early, and it's decent. As for Heracross, I don't use it. Ever. It's just not my style.

Years
    I only used Mareep since it's the first Electric-type you find in the game. Personally, I'd prefer my Electric-type to be faster, but...

I've never used Heracross, and I never will. It simply doesn't appeal to me.

Lapras seems to be the go-to Water type for everyone who didn't start with Totodile. I decided to go with Starmie instead :P

I just started to use hera in HGSS, mostly because it finally got a good sprite. Im very particular on sprites for some reason. if the poke looks dumb i mostly wont use it, and vice versa, when i poke looks appealing, people are more likely to use it i think.

As for water's, i used my Seadra/kingdra as my water type in the E4, but i upgraded to Lapras, Poliwrath, and Vaporeon when i migrated all my competitive pokemon over from Plat.

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
    Ampharos is used on a lot of teams because it is extremely versatile. It has great stats and a great moveset. He can learn the typical electric moves, but he also learns moves like Signal Beam, which is a great move for some of the very resistant types like Dragon, Psychic, and Dark.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I just so happen to be one of those people who cares about what Pokemon he is using and how overused they are, so I tend to stay away from Mareep's sometimes, however, I am also the type of person who follows what they believe.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    -Can someone tell me when did those 2 get so popular or why you love them enough to be on your team?

Probably to make them more well known

-Also what pokemon do you think is getting oddly popular in HGSS?

I'm not to sure...

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    I think people use the Mareep family often in HG/SS because it's really one of the only Electric types you can get up until around the 4th gym. I have an Ampharos in my game, but I mainly use Magnezone..

Heracross is not as common as you would think.. a lot of people don't even bother headbutting trees... I got a Heracross and it has very good stats at early levels, and has a nice diverse moveset.. I can see why someone would Headbutt until they got one in HG/SS.

RNG Abuser

RNG Abuser
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2010
    i think heracross is awesome ^^
    but mareep.. :/
    never had a mareep :P

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    I like Ampharos, it's good, except for it's relatively low speed.
    However, Raikou has the same base special attack and much higher speed.
    The Mareep family is a good poke to go with until then though, maybe even after, if you prefer high special defense over speed.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Anybody else use Fearow? I never normally would on LeafGreen, but when you get a gift that only needs levelled once to become Fearow, I find myself running it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    I used Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos for a long time because it was the only electric 'mon I found. Now I have a Volteon, but there's a serious dearth of electric in the "early" game.

FerretFox41

OOH... SHINY...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    You know, you're right. Everyone uses Heracross and Ampharos. It's mainly because of the nostalgia factor, like most others have said.

I try to stay away from using those cliche Pokemon like that, because using Pokemon that aren't common is more fun for me. In my first runthrough, I used Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Yanmega, and Golduck.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
    I like Ampharos, but not to be on my team. Good pokemon though. Heracross, never crossed my mind (silly pun :P ) to put it in my team, I like Scyzor better. :)

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    i knew i was forgetting something!
    i recently restarted my SS cause i virtually beat the game. Black trainer card, every pokemon, ect.
    and i wanted to find a certain pokemon but couldn't remember.
    it was heracross!

Back