• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Welcome to the Cable Club!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    What are your favorite memories from the Cable Club in RBY? Any crazy trades? Amazing battles? Link cable-related glitches? And what are your thoughts on the shift from link cables to local wireless trading in the upcoming re-releases of the games that started it all?

Nothing was better than trading with myself! :D And borrowing a friend's GBC to do so. Otherwise I've traded a few times with friends for the fun of it but since it was so simple to cheat through completing the dex I never put much effort into actual link cable trading.

Glad we have wireless trading now. Technology has adapted quite a lot and local just isn't as feasible anymore if you want to make your games as enjoyable as possible.. getting together with a GBC and link cable are days long gone, lol.

Years
    • Seen today
    So I never got to use the Cable Club in these games - but I traded a lot between myself in Pokemon Stadium 2 once - and once, the game made an odd 13th box appear on Blue...

...And I got a Level 2 Alakazam, haha. I still see her as one of my most special Pokemon, since she could use Bite and Hi Jump Kick.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    So I never got to use the Cable Club in these games...
    Yeah same here, unfortunately. Main reason being, I never had a link cable, haha. Such a shame considering it would have been a prime opportunity to play with my sister. But that's not a problem now considering we have a wonderful thing called wi-fi now.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    So I never got to use the Cable Club in these games - but I traded a lot between myself in Pokemon Stadium 2 once - and once, the game made an odd 13th box appear on Blue...

...And I got a Level 2 Alakazam, haha. I still see her as one of my most special Pokemon, since she could use Bite and Hi Jump Kick.

Was the level 2 Alakazam related to the other oddities (the 13th box, etc.)? Or was it from one of those level 7 or below encounter glitches (like the Mew glitch), or something else? Interesting moveset--I wonder where the game pulled that from? Off-hand, I can't think of any Pokemon who learn that combination of moves, but what seems more likely to me is that the games pulled the moves out of some other non-Pokemon data (like with Missingno--I think I read something at some point that its moveset comes from trainer data for a battle on Cycling Road or something, hence the two Water Gun slots).

And did the 13th box stick around, or did it disappear later on?

I suppose I did more of my trading on actual systems, rather than Stadium or Stadium 2. I only had one transfer pak, and the limitations on withdrawing Pokemon from the N64 boxes in Stadium 2 turned me off (I think your Pokedex had to be at least a certain amount, though maybe that was just for GSC).

Guest123_x1

I only was able to use the Cable Club a handful of times, usually between my cousin who got me into Pokémon in the first place. Many of the trades I did were "round-trip", where I would trade one Pokémon for another only to trade it back (usually with Pokémon that evolve via trade, such as Graveler and Kadabra.) I also used my cousin's Game Boy Color to trade between two of my own games.
    Having to rely on him to trade between Generation I games with the Cable Club became mostly a moot point when I got Pokémon Stadium and two transfer paks.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Yeah same here, unfortunately. Main reason being, I never had a link cable, haha.
    You poor dear. ]: That link cable pretty much summed up my childhood friendships.

I have way too many schoolyard memories of trading and battling with the ol' link cables. They were always such a mess to deal with too. More than likely due to the fact that we drug them out everywhere and they weren't particularly durable. But hey, it created a few funny stories and actually led to a few of us figuring out the cloning glitch for ourselves.

I really do wish they would have added Wi-Fi for the ports though. :\

Back