• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What age are the main cast?

Animehero

Elite PKMN Trainer
    Years
    This is what I think:
    Ash: 15
    Misty: 17
    May: 11
    Dawn: 10
    Brock: 23
    Max: 6-7
    Jessie: 25
    James: 25

Years
    I think your estimates are pretty good, except for Team Rocket. I highly doubt they were 20 when they first started fighting Ash, so if Ash has aged 5 years since the beginning then I guess that they're 30, or even 35.

Years
    According to the Birth of Myuutsu CD, it started either 18 or 20 years prior the beginning of the anime (I forget which). Miyamato commented later in the CD chapters (after she died, and well after Mewtwo's creation) on what a hag Musashi turned out to be. Translators view that as the younger Rocket being in her mid-20's at the time, which was well into Myuutsu's training. So, interpret that in any way you want. She could be 30 soon.

I'll dig for the link on Serebii.net, as it has the official ish translation.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    I still say Ash is 20. Team Rocket clearly stated they had been after Pikachu since Dawn was born, and knowing they know that new trainers get their pokemon at age 10, that tells me they acknowledged it's been 10 years. =P

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    On other boards, where this question gets posted a lot, the common accepted answer is that they don't age. The Japanese website for the Pokemon anime said that at the start of Advanced Generation, Ash is the same age as May.

This is the answer that I live with as a Pokemon fan. While the characters have matured, it doesn't seem like they have aged physically. As Myzou said, Ash should be 20, but he doesn't look the part, and sometimes doesn't act the part.

It is stil fun to imagine that they do age. And your estimates, Animehero, seem to be around what others have said.

And to add this because it was rather funny: When Pokemon first came to the United States, the official dub website said that Jessie and James were 12-years-old. I laughed then, and still laugh now.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Technically, Ash is suppose to be around 15, and Misty was 12 when he was 10.. so wow.. that WOULD make her 17. o_o Time flies.

Going off their ages, you can pretty much figure everyone else out.
    Of course when May first entered she was 10, and same with Hikari/Dawn.

As for Shinji.. he looks and acts alot older than a 10-year-old.. oO I figure he's around, or older than Ash.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I'll answer you question with another question: how old is Bart Simpson?

The answer is, they haven't aged since the beginning of the show. At least, for our intents and purposes, anyway.

Animehero

Elite PKMN Trainer
    Years
    I see your point, for people that say Ash is 20, but come on, there's no way. I know that a fifteen year old hitting on a 10 year-old is wrong, but being 20 makes it even wronger.

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
    Years
    I see your point, for people that say Ash is 20, but come on, there's no way. I know that a fifteen year old hitting on a 10 year-old is wrong, but being 20 makes it even wronger.

I haven't noticed our "20 year old in a 10 year old's body" hit on any girl. He's as clueless as ever...

I say Ash is around 14-15, and Brock is at least 18. May, probably 12 and Max possibly 9 or even 10. Misty's either 16 or 17, and Dawn's 10.

Psi Yamaneko

Lunatic Pandora
    Years
    The fun thing to consider here: Somewhere in the Johto Arc they said it was two years ago that Ash left Palette. So. The passage of time IS acknowledged.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    In one of the Kanto episodes, when Jessie was filling out the form for the Pokemon test to win a badge. She said out loud that she was 17. And Ash at the time was ten.

In the current episodes, Ash and Dawn are the same height and look about the same age. Dawn said on the first Diamond and Pearl episode that she was ten. So it doesn't really seem like they have aged at all, regardless of the acknowledgment of time in the Johto series.

Psi Yamaneko

Lunatic Pandora
    Years
    In one of the Kanto episodes, when Jessie was filling out the form for the Pokemon test to win a badge. She said out loud that she was 17. And Ash at the time was ten.

In the current episodes, Ash and Dawn are the same height and look about the same age. Dawn said on the first Diamond and Pearl episode that she was ten. So it doesn't really seem like they have aged at all, regardless of the acknowledgment of time in the Johto series.

I think they've aged in a weird way. Physically no, they haven't.

Animehero

Elite PKMN Trainer
    Years
    Phisically they have. Ash has gotten taller, I've noticed a growth in the size of May, and Misty's breasts as well.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009

Yeah, but that's Jessie you're talking about. Of course she'd lie about her age.

As I recall, the full line was "Age, 17. Occupation, Diva." So, yeah, don't take that for granted.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Here's my thoughts
    Ash - 10
    Misty - 10-12
    Brock - 14
    May - 10
    Max - 8 (I heard from somewhere that the Japanese site said he was six thoug)
    Hikari - 10
    Shinji - 14 (just so I don't feel like a total pedophile)
    Jessie - 14-18 (don't laugh)
    James - 14-18 (")

and Prof Rowan - 66 (it was confirmed several times in the game)

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I remember on the episode where they took the official Pokemon Test (Can't remember the name), in the dub, Jessie clearly states she's seventeen while filling out her application for the test. Now, she could have been lying, but that wouldn't be very sensible to lie about, would it?

The exact line was "Age: Seventeen, profession: diva." I remember because I didn't understand it when I watched it, so I rewound the tape and watched it back.

EDIT: My mistake, a couple others have already stated this... Sorry I wasted your time.

Last edited:
    Back