• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What are the odds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
    Years
    I was Ralts hunting today, and when I finally ran into one, I got the surprise of the century! It was shiny, but even that wasn't the most unbelievable part of it. After I caught it (breathing a sigh of relief), I went to heal at a Poke center, and they told me I had contracted Pokerus. The little thing had Pokerus too! OMG! Anyway, I was wondering... does anyone know what the odds are of this? Is it really as rare as I think, or am I getting all excited over nothing?

Btw, Ralts is so cute! ^_^ I love his little blue trim! :droolz

Electabuzz_Girl

100% Americian gurl
    Years
    Congratz shuko ^_^
    Tell me if I'm like wrong or not but is pokerus like a virus type thing?? If so what does it do to your game??
    Sorry I never paid attention to that stuff

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    pokerus supposedly increases the growth rate of your pokemon

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    4% of getting a Ralts in the first place. About 1 in 8000 of getting PKRS... so, you're pretty lucky to get one of those ^_^

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    OMFG!!!!!!!! Thats the rarest thing I've ever heard! I havent even caught a regular shiny.

Years
    WOW!!!There are people who use great amounts of their time and never even encounter a shiny, let alone PKRS.The is an extremely rare appearance!Suck up all the excitement, cause it's very very slim it'll happen again lol.

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
    Years
    Wow...

Well, I knew that the shiny pogey appearance rate was higher in Ru/Sa/Em/Fr/Lg... -_-; But I never knew what the rate was for Pokerus. And I forgot about how rare Ralts was too... Man, I hope I don't blow this. I'm going to have to keep Ralts in the PC to cool until I can figure out how I'm going to EV train him. As I understand it, Pokerus' effects only last for 3 days while they're out of the PC, and it'd be wicked cool if I can finish all his EV training in double the time... Maybe I should wait until I get the macho brace too, lol.

I don't normally worry about EVs... but since this is such a rare opportunity, I'd better not waste it. Lessee here... Ralts has a "modest" personality... [goes to check a personality stat table, lol]...

Ok. Modest types have a higher Sp. Attack gain, and a lower Attack gain. So I think I want to focus on building his Special Attack. Anyone have any good ideas on a moveset for him? "Psychic" is a must, but I think it comes built in. I'm open for the other three slots. :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2005
    Holy macaroni! (and cheese! XD) You are so darn lucky to even find a Ralts in the first place (haven't found one yet >_<), yet again it being shiny and having Pokerus. Take good care of it! I bet it's gonna turn out to be a pretty powerful Gardevoir. :)

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
    Years
    Gardevoir, huh?

I haven't even thought that far yet. You know, either it's due to a high level of luck, or an inordinate amount of time spent playing (I believe it's the latter), but this actually isn't the first Shiny I've ever caught. My first one was a Swablu, and that was in Sapphire. Then, I caught a Tentacool in Ruby (And accidentally deleted the game before I transferred it.. x_x). The third was a spearow, and that was in Fire Red. I got a yellow Eggsecute (sp?) in the Safari Zone in the same game of Fire Red (I yelled so loud my parents thought I'd found a wasp in my room or something, lol). And now Ralts makes five. Five shinies in all, and most have been fairly usable in battle. Except the tentacool. I tried and tried with him, but never was able to make him a satisfactory battle pogey. I wish I hadn't lost him, tho. Blue's my favorite color, and he was all blue, lol.

I know it sounds like I'm bragging, but that's not how I intend it. I just want to give you an idea as to how much time I've spent playing these games. I love playing them through, and then after a month or so, my interest comes back and I start over. I'm just now restarting Ruby. I guess I'm off to a good start. ^_~

Shining Mew

A Mew??!? WHERE
    Years
    Whoa thats really really rare O.O Thats very lucky, you should be very happy XD Ive never seen a shiny but I have Pokerus. You must be so excited xP And it has a Modest nature? :O! Very lucky! Its like.. the perfect Pokemon O.O

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    its a virus that spreads between pokemon and doubles the EXP. points they earn in battle so it that much easier to train.but it wears off in 2 weeks in g/s/c and in 300 fights in fr/lg.

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
    Years
    Pokerus

Aaron5367 said:
    Wow, I havent heard of Pok?rus, Can someone explain?

Okay, here's what I know about Pokerus:

It's a virus, but it's a good one (Think of what happened to John Travolta in "Phenomenon," but without the death thing at the end, lol). When your Pokemon has Pokerus, it will gain double the EVs (effort values) every time you battle. The effects only last for three days, however, so you have to be fast.

Pokerus can be held in a suspended animation of sorts by putting the affected Pokemon in the PC. It won't lose it until it's spent three days outside. So the smartest thing to do if you ever catch it is to infect a bunch of pokemon and put some of them in your PC for safekeeping. That way you can infect others later on.

Oh, and I forgot. You can spread the virus to your other teammates. If the "afflicted" pokemon is in your team, and you battle, there's a chance that the pokemon on either side of him/her will catch Pokerus, whether they or he battles or not. So ideally, you can inflict Pokerus on the Pokemon you want to EV train, and they'll train faster.

EV training is actually very good, especially if you ever want to battle your pokemon against live opponents like your friends. Having a super-fast Pokemon, or one with Super-attack can be really helpful in certain situations. I recommend it if you're a real hardcore trainer, but it can make progressing through the game a real pain. Anyway, that's Pokerus in a nutshell. Let me know if any of my info was bogus. It all came from memory, and I've learned not to trust my memory 100%, lol. ^_^

[Edit]: I almost forgot! You can tell if your pokemon has pokerus by its status area (the little area below its picture on the stats page). Although I don't know if it appears there before or after you're diagnosed at the Poke center. Oh yeah, and Nurse Joy will let you know if one of your Pokemon has Pokerus, but only once. She won't tell you again after that.

And finally, to catch pokerus, you can do one of two things. A: you catch a pokemon that has it. B: you battle a wild pokemon that has it, and it infects you. I'm pretty sure that you only have a certain percentage chance of catching it via B, but I may be wrong. Anyway, it's so hard to get that I wouldn't recommend catching every Pokemon you find to try to get it. It's like the Shinies. Just go about your business and forget about it. It may show up when you least expect it!

Last edited:

Lord Jaws

The Lovable Tramp
    Years
    I have a few Pokes with the PokeRus, I dont think its all that rare. One poke that has it is my Espeon so I think Ill b EV training that pretty soon. Does Nurse Joy tell you once for every poke with it or once in the entire game because I havent heard her mention it at all.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Oh, it was SHINY!!! O_O I must have missed off that part. Err... odds of shiny are 1 in 8250 I think. ^_^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back