• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What are your feelings on the new attack system

Do you like the new change

• Yes

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I have to play the game to be sure of an opinion

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • pancakes

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    Ichapokemr said:
    Since when does it make contact?? Overheat in the anime is clearly a special attack like Hyper Beam...and I doubt there can be that much of a difference in the games.
    ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

In the games, Overheat activates trait effects like Rough Skin and Static, therefore making it a contact move. Besides, the anime is in its own little world, it shouldn't be used to judge things in the game (Pikachu vs. Rhydon anyone?).

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    aragornbird said:

In the games, Overheat activates trait effects like Rough Skin and Static, therefore making it a contact move. Besides, the anime is in its own little world, it shouldn't be used to judge things in the game (Pikachu vs. Rhydon anyone?).

Well, that's really odd...and while, yes, the show's battle mechanics ARE seriously messed up (except it's a special super-powered Pikachu), the attacks are usually perfectly matched with their game counterparts...

hamir

Embrace yourselves
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    I know one way that Sceptile won't be screwed up by the new attack system.

All game freak has to do is make Sceptile's attack stat higher and sp attack stat Lower.

Sceptile always seems to look like a physical attacking pokemon then a sp-attacking pokemon, by the way it looks.

That would make sense, leafblade, crunch, Aerial ace, brick break, etc

I'm sure they will do it, Because Sceptile is a starter and it has to be strong.

If game freak doesn't do this, then I'm sure they will give Sceptile a couple of new moves to help it out.

what?

an 815 survivor :P
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    wouldn't this make fighting pokemon incredibly powerful?

With 3 elemental punches powered by physical strength, a fire or thunder puncher with low special attack will kill a skarmory,- take advantage of many weaknesses.

Slaking won't be effective with hyper beam.

hyper beam may become an important part of special movesets.

banette will be absolutely obsolete ( shadow ball ).

dragons have always had higher physical strength (dragon claw is going to be deadly)

Things are not looking good for specials... still, i like this change. Though sooooooo many movesets will have to change.

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
    Years
    I'm all for it. IMO, it really shoulda been like this from the beginning, and i like it better. I'm a competitive battler, but in-game, I just use the pokemon I like... I don't think it'll get too long to get used to tho. I'm really excited about it.

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    In my opinion, while this is a much needed change, it's happening too late and at a point in time where certain Pokemon would grow FAR too powerful. Medicham, for example, has the highest base attack outside Deoxys, and it learns the elemental punches naturally. It doesn't even care that it lost Shadow Ball as it has so many more elements to take advantage of. And several Pokemon are losing out. Yes, we're happy that Kingler and Crawdaunt can finally see use, but what about Typhlosion and Sceptile? Typhlosion has gotten the shaft in EVERY game since its conception, and it doesn't seem to be stopping. While Feraligatr finds new life in Ice Punch, Typhlosion loses Thunderpunch. It seems those two Pokemon, Typhlosion and Sceptile, will be losing out. That's something I dislike as those two are the evolved forms of some of my favorite Pokemon.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Let's not forget that D/P will probably add about a 100 new moves, and if these changes do occur, than a couple of those new moves will probably be designed to benefit the special attackers of old.

enyce

banned
    Years
    Bliksem said:
    Medicham, for example, has the highest base attack outside Deoxys

Medicham has the higest Max attack outside of Deoxys and TC Marowak. Not base, I can name nine pokemon that have a base attack higher than Medicham.

Slaking (160)
    Absol (130)
    Breloom (same as above)
    Armaldo (125)
    Dragonite (134)
    Flareon (130)
    Salamence (135)
    Metagross (same as above)
    Tyranitar (same as dragonite)

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2006
    I had the idea of the new attack system about one year ago and i posted it in SerebiiForums
    and most people were against and did NOT think it was going to happen, And they were laughing at me....

And Now I proved them wrong, Look who's laughing now!!

Anyways, I really like the the new attack system it make Pkmn more realistic. But it is going to screw lots of Pkmn, But fix lots of crappy Pkmn...

Back