• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What attracted you to pokemon?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    what attracted you to pokemon? was it the games, the show, or the TCG?

or did your daycare force you to watch the entire 1st season of pokemon on VHS

for me it was the show, cause what I said above had me hooked on it for life.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I was watching "Diggit" one Saturday Morning (does anyone in the UK remember that?), having never heard of Pokemon, and it just came on. I was thinking "Hey, what's this weird thing? Huh, that mouse sure can fight. Wow, that fire-breathing salamander's pretty cool. I don't know what's going on, but I like it." I was 8 at the time, and it was the episode where Ash caught Charmander. Mentioning it to a friend later, he told me about the games and lent me his copy of Pokemon Red. I loved, and about a year later bought Gold. I loved that there were so many of the little things, and I could catch and use any of them. I "grew out" of Pokemon about age 13, but then I properly grew up about age 16 and got back into it. I'd caught a few old episodes on the TV, which sparked my nostalgia, so I downloaded a ROM of Pokemon Blue. Then I decided to try out the third and fourth generation games. This was when I started appreciating the intricacies of the series, but still enjoying the fun of it, collecting and battling with my favourites. I went on ShoddyBattle a little, but didn't enjoy it so much, getting bored with fighting the same Blissey and Scizor over and over again, my Arcanine and Pidgeot failing epically. I'm starting to become interested in competitive battling again, and looking at putting together a UU team.

So basically, come for the show, stay for the games, looking forward to battling.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    The game, the anime, and the TCG, if that all can count together. xD I honestly don't know how I'm still hooked today. It's just an overall fun game for me, because it's something I'm good at and am knowledgeable about.

Anyway, the cards were awesome, the show was interesting, and the games...I could go on for hours. How could I not be lured by all that bait?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    TCG. In my school (this was when I was about 9) only a couple of people had gameboys and the games, and we didn't care much for it.

EVERYBODY had the cards though. And I mean everybody. We traded, we battled, we played... At some point after I had transferred to another school, I heard they banned pokémon cards there, because kids were ripping each other off with stupid trades with cards they had paid for XD

So yeah, it was the TCG. And we watched the anime too, of course. I didn't play the game until much later, when the GBA came out. And then I wanted the Yellow game, to get Pikachu, even though Gold and Silver were out.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    The games, mostly. When I was nothing but a kid, about 7 years old, me and my family moved away to an island, where one of the first things that happened was... Pokemon Yellow. Me and my best friend would sit there and play together for hours... to top it off, I was brought up by parents that went like "NO, POKEMON IS NOT SOMETHING KIDS SHOULD PARTICIPATE IN", so it was only natural that I wanted to cross them somehow. And where almost everyone fell off the wagon around me, the small critters 've never ceased to amaze me. ^^

Ayselipera

The show. Somehow I stumbled upon the first episode when I was little.

It was fate.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    The show was my first contact with pokemon, but I only truly fell in love with the frachise after getting my first game, pokemon ruby version =3

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I think it was the show and the TCG at about the same time for me. I started watching the anime back when it was just starting out and everyone at my school was into the cards.

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Since Ima a hispanic, I spent like the first 2 years of my life in Central America. There we didnt have satellite like DirecTV or anything like that, we had basic cable. There was this channel dedicated to cartoons (and no none of those cartoons like those that looks like they were of a horrible quality, they actually aired anime and cartoons from the U.S. and what not), and I saw an episode of pokemon. At that time I think they were just ending the Kanto saga. I can remember my 4 favorite pokemon in the show: Pikachu, Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle (weird thing is that now I absolutely despise that mouse XD). So when I came back to the U.S. at about 3 years I cannot remember those details as well, but I didnt know the channel for Cartoon Network (where they used to air the old series), so I never got to watch it again, but (again I cannot remember the details well) I cannot actually remember buying the games, but I can remember having the box for pokemon blue in my hands (I know because the only thing I can remember from the box is blastoise, which was mascot for it.). I can't remember much after that, but a few years later (or maybe months later, horrible memory XD) I had this deck of cards from this promotion from burger king, and I had gotten a few of the cards of the TCG from this card vending machine in my local publix. I never learnt how to play the TCG game (and I still dont know how) but I played this game with my mother, whoever had the larger number in order of the pokedex, would win. Afterwards I had gotten meself pokemon silver. I can even remember the pogomonz I had in my party: Espeon, Drowzee, Ampharos, Feraligatr, Togetic, and Girafarig. I had tried to beat the game, but I was for some reason stuck at the eucratic gym (for some reason, they wouldnt let me battle in it for having a normal pokemon in my party, which could be due to some glitch or something) and since I didnt have surf, I was roaming lake rage just training in it. So afterwards I kinda gave away my gameboy color and got a new gameboy advance... which years later I gave away along with all my other games, except pokemon silver, which I put away and uptil this day I cannot find where I hid the little rascal. So since I could never find it, my pokemon fever kinda died, uptil a few years later when a friend lent me his pokemon sapphire, and afterwards let me keep it. Near that time my lust for collecting TCG cards (again I collected, not played) had returned, so started collecting again adding to my already existant deck. I had built up a deck (mind it was a horrible deck) and I challenged someone to a match... only to lose my Deoxis as the wager )':. Anyways, I had lost my DS so I couldnt play my gameboy games anymore.... to which I had lost my Sapphire... AGAIN! :'( So again my pokemon fever died down again even when Diamond and Pearl came out. But I discovered bulbapedia and I started reading all about the new pokes and since Platinum had just come out AGAIN I had gotten my fever back, even dreaming about capturing a buizel XD. And since I didnt have money for a DS and Platinum, and I was hearing stories about HG and SS it became like an obsession I had over it now. Then I discovered about emulators so I downloaded Emerald and Crystal, now my obsesion has subsided a bit... except I cannot find a working ROM for Platinum. Anyways I just bought a new GBASP and now have emerald itself... but I really wish I could find a platinum ROM.

Anyways so the order of my life has been: Anime, Game, TCG, Anime (I eventually discovered what channel CN was on and started watching the Battle Frontier series), Game, TCG, and now Game.

So yeah my pokemon life has been pretty complicated

dancingonlandmines

Hanging on a moment with you.
    Years
    The show =3
    I remember getting up early on saturday mornings to watch it. I was obsessed and, then that started to die down I got Pokemon: Gold for my birthday and that just fueled the fire of obsession even more.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    The games (Blue/Red) which in turn were introduced to me by the Pokemon features in my brother's old Nintendo Power magazines. Back then, the idea of traveling with a crew of creatures with the goal of annihilating all who stand in my way was quite appealing. Plus they had this little kitty cat Pokemon called Meowth...

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Whe I was 7 or so I played a pokemon game for the first time and I loved the endless possibilities of teams you could make, that's still the reason I like pokemon. :)

CrazyCarretta

It works!
    Years
    I would have to say it was the show, the cards, and the game. I remember back in grade school trading the cards because we couldn't game in school. I did get a mew in detention once though, good times good times

MechaTrickster

Another person in the world
    Years
    The show: I thought it was kinda gay....and still do.... :\
    TCG:I had a ton of them but if im not trading them I was staring at them imagining one pokemon agaisnt another
    The game (Gold): Its a was a video game, and I loved it :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'm like trying to think how I got introduced to Pokemon first o_o

Think it was definitely the cards~ Back when I used to live somewhat in a neighborhood the kids would all get together and TRADE DEM TINGS.

Years
    As a kid me and my brother saved up our money for a whole year to buy this little 8x8 inch T.V. to watch pokemon in our room on, we were so excited to bring it home even if it was just a tiny T.V., I can't remember a single Pokemon show we missed... I also remember saving up money for all those cards, and making our own pokemon and cards on notecards lol. My first pokemon game was Crystal, and I had a Totodile named Spikey!!!! with all those !'s. Pokemon will probably never leave me even when I am older.. its kind of embarrasing now, so I will hide all of my sprites, and stuff I make in a folder in a folder in a folder, haha.

But probably the thing that REALLY brought me to pokemon was when I was in kindergarten and my reading buddy gave me this present of pokemon cards and the top card was a Rattata (actually a water energy was the top but the second was rattata =P), so that is one of my favorite pokemon even now

Back