• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What came first, the Arceus or the Mew? (Theory discussion)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Its believed that Mew is the descendant of all Pokémon, as scientists believe it has the genetic composition of all the Pokémon (in fact, it is believed that Mew is the ancestor of life), but Arceus is said to have created the world and to be the Original One. Did Arceus create Mew, or did Mew already exist when Arceus came around? What do you think came first, the Arceus or the Mew?

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Mew is the ancestor of Pokemon, yes, so I put that as Mew being the 1st Pokemon created by another lifeform, and since Arceus is God, and it species is the Alpha Pokemon, I think Arceus gave birth to Mew first, and then the rest of the Pokemon.

Years
  • I always saw Mew as the ancestor of all non-legendary Pokemon, with Arceus being the first Pokemon in existence. After Arceus created Pokemon like the Weather and Creation trios to help form the Earth in its early stages, then I assume that Mew was created, to begin populating the planet with the numerous species of wild Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Mew has the genetic code for all the other pokémon as all the other pokémon descended from it. Maybe in the beginning, Arceus created the demigods who helped shaping the world and dimensions, and then he created Mew to populate the world.

Over time, Mew evolved into the countless races of pokémon we see today. If you want to believe that pokémon and animals exist alongside each other, then you could believe that pokémon are one single species with hundreds of variations and races, just like some incarnation of the pokémon universe says (I believe a manga?). That's why they can mate with other races than their own, because they are races and not species.

skitty on wailord, anyone?

So even though I don't like the idea of Arceus being a thing at all, I believe he came first and created Mew.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Mmm, tough one, yeah? I am an R-KEE-US believer, so I say Arceus came first. My theorie is this:

Arceus created all Pokémon and created Mew as well. As of then, Mew was just youngling, and didn't have any power. But then Arceus had to leave his world and not interfere with it, for reasons same as why God doesn't rule the earth, so he appointed Mew as his predecessor because he was the only free one. All others were content with this part or that, so he chose Mew to guard our ethereal PokéEarth. Thus, Arceus is the first.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Mmm, tough one, yeah? I am an R-KEE-US believer, so I say Arceus came first. My theorie is this:

Arceus created all Pokémon and created Mew as well. As of then, Mew was just youngling, and didn't have any power. But then Arceus had to leave his world and not interfere with it, for reasons same as why God doesn't rule the earth, so he appointed Mew as his predecessor because he was the only free one. All others were content with this part or that, so he chose Mew to guard our ethereal PokéEarth. Thus, Arceus is the first.
    So you pretty much think that Mew is a unique legendary? I mean, like Lugia or something, as opposed to Rattata or Kangashkan or any normal pokémon that exist in wide amounts.

I think I used to think that too... But some things have gotten me thinking that Mew probably used to live in abundance as just any pokémon species. There are different theories, clearly. I wonder if the pokémon game makers thought about this and have a definite answer, even.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I believe that Arceus came first and Mew was sort of like the horcrux Arceus never meant to create; Arceus gave life to the world and Mew was born from the booming life of nature. Every non-legendary must have come from Mew because there are no mentions of Arceus creating any other Pokémon apart from legendaries. This would explain why Mew has every DNA of every known Pokémon.

I wouldn't delve into the topic deeper though. I'm pretty sure we'll know the answer to this question sometime soon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm pretty sure we'll know the answer to this question sometime soon.
    You think the anime or games will touch on the subject more closely in the future? Oh, come to think about it, Pokémon X and Y sounds like they'll have awfully much to do with evolution and genetics. And older gen pokémon are included in the new games. So let's hope they'll somehow incorporate Mew and explain things :3

I don't believe in Arceus, so Mew came first, bub.
    That's a funny thing to say, imo :D Arceus quite definitely exists in the canon pokémon world. But there are probably people in the pokémon world who don't believe in Arceus. It's a pretty Sinnoh-ish thing maybe? Still, doesn't affect the facts :>

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2013
    I've always looked at mew as the one who created pokemon. I guess it's either- 1.AR-see-us (that's how I say it) created the earth\planet\universe\whatever and out of it, Mew was created via evolution (not pokemon evolution, darwin evolution), and Mew then created all the other pokemon.
    2. Arceus created the planet and Mew (maybe the other legendaries along with Mew, I'm not very familiar with Arceus's story) and Mew's job was to populate the world- create the pokemon.

Also I read someone's comment in this thread stating that pokemon are just one race within the animal kingdom, that contains hundredrs of types, and NOT hundreds of races, and I really like that concept. But that's a little harder to explain- did Arceus create ALL life? Only pokemon? Humans too? why haven't we seen any animal\reference to one throughout the games/anime?

anyway that's my take on things

Years
  • Well, I personally believe in the Mew theory of evolution rather than the legend of Arceus creating everything. Arceus is simply a very powerful Pokemon, and its strength coupled with it being somewhat benevolent is the cause of the legend that it created everything. Legends aren't fact, humans were not there at the world's creation, and it's very hard to either prove or disprove that Arceus made everything out of nothing because there's no evidence to go by.

Scientifically speaking, Mew being a still living forefather of all Pokemon is much more plausible. Mew has the ability to adapt and transform to conform to its environment to ensure its survival. So to me, Mew evolved into other, now mainly prehistoric Pokemon much the way real life prehistoric animals did to create the vast amount of Pokemon roaming about that lost their ability to transform. The reason there are still pure Mews about is that there are a few clusters that didn't need to evolve further since transform is adequate to their survival, indicating that they lived in an area of abundance and stable weather conditions.

EDIT:

haven't we seen any animal\reference to one throughout the games/anime?

Animals are in the Pokemon word. If mice didn't exist in the Pokemon world, then Pikachu wouldn't be the Mouse Pokemon. ;)

Then there's this pic here.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Haha, you all are far too literal. I despise Arceus, and its supposed religious/divine significance in the Pokeverse. It's like....once you make a Pokemon that supposedly created the Universe, then what is the point? That's why I "don''t believe in Arceus," because the whole idea of a Pokemon of that magnitude existing pretty much destroys my suspension of disbelief towards Pokemon. It is one of the most absurd plot developments I have ever seen. Pokemon is not Shin Megami Tensei, it shouldn't introduce a God character only to have you beat it and catch it. Ridiculous......

It's all conjecture, anyway.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Haha, you all are far too literal. I despise Arceus, and its supposed religious/divine significance in the Pokeverse. It's like....once you make a Pokemon that supposedly created the Universe, then what is the point? That's why I "don''t believe in Arceus," because the whole idea of a Pokemon of that magnitude existing pretty much destroys my suspension of disbelief towards Pokemon. It is one of the most absurd plot developments I have ever seen. Pokemon is not Shin Megami Tensei, it shouldn't introduce a God character only to have you beat it and catch it. Ridiculous......

It's all conjecture, anyway.

The thing is, Arceus didn't create the whole universe, just the Pokémon world. Arceus is not a "God" character so much as it is a Pokémon. And technically, the player can't capture Arceus yet legally since the item required to trigger Arceus' event cannot be obtained legally yet (and I doubt that they would ever release it).

EDIT: I guess I got my legends mixed up. Turns out, the legend says that Arceus created the Pokémon universe. Still, Arceus is no "God" character so much as it is just a very powerful Pokémon.

You think the anime or games will touch on the subject more closely in the future? Oh, come to think about it, Pokémon X and Y sounds like they'll have awfully much to do with evolution and genetics. And older gen pokémon are included in the new games. So let's hope they'll somehow incorporate Mew and explain things :3
    I would assume they'd at least give a hint in the next generation at least. The fact that they named the next games X and Y (i assume it's some sort of biology reference) makes it plausible for things such as evolution to be clarified to the least.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2013
    The thing is, Arceus didn't create the whole universe, just the Pokémon world. Arceus is not a "God" character so much as it is a Pokémon. And technically, the player can't capture Arceus yet legally since the item required to trigger Arceus' event cannot be obtained legally yet (and I doubt that they would ever release it).
    But you can get Arceus (well, could have gotten) through many events.
    Why don't you think they'll ever release the azure flute?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    But you can get Arceus (well, could have gotten) through many events.
    Why don't you think they'll ever release the azure flute?

Events doesn't count as a capture, they are more like promotional Pokémon meant to make it possible for those who aim to complete their Pokédex (and to an extent, online battling, I suppose).

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Arceus because he made the Pokemon world it's not to Hard figure out mew is 2nd to come in the world then all life came in to play life if you get what I'm saying

Years
  • Arceus because he made the Pokemon world it's not to Hard figure out mew is 2nd to come in the world then all life came in to play life if you get what I'm saying

But it's only a legend that states he made the Pokemon world. Legends can be wrong and are merely exaggerated stories to make sense of the things not understood. Remember how the ancient Greeks thought a bunch of immortal super beings lived on the top of Mount Olympus and insisted that the world was being held up by another one. Then there were the stories about how the world was connected to the root of a living creating tree. We know all of those to be false in our world, so why do you believe that in the Pokemon world, a cyborg goat created the world "with 1000 arms" just because there are old wives tales stating such?

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Ha, as I stated, it is all conjecture anyway. But the mere idea of it disgusts me.

My sweet Mew, you will serve as the Mitochondrial Eve. That, I can accept~

Back