• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you like in ROM Hacks?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    Mainly, creativity and playability. I don't care if there's new tiles, new Pokemon, new moves, or anything like that. I do, however, want a good storyline, a new region, new scripts (at least change up what people are saying - writing a simple message script or editing the strings in existing scripts is so easy..) and a game that you can play without having to grind for hours.

I like it if the attacks and stuff are decapitalized too, although it's not a necessity IMO.

Years
    -I think it has to be a challenge. All of the official pokemon games are way too easy.
    -Games that find the balance between the original pokemon and the fakemon. Usually people can create a few really good fakemon, and the others aren't all that great. So yeah, replace the less popular pokemon with new ones that look awesome. But don't ruin the games with low quality fakemon!
    -A training area where you can go fight trainers limitless without using the VS seeker. It also needs to have a goal, like an item for finishing the training area or so. After that it needs to be reset instead of becoming a useless area you finished.
    -Either start with the national dex or have 2 area's of the same size. Don't have all extra pokemon of the national dex sit crammed in a small new area.
    -No weaklings and no ubers. Being able to train the pokemon you like best, without becomming cursed by it, is awesome. It's unfair that a lvl 100 butterfree would get annihallated by a ton of pokemon that are 20 lvls behind!

That's all i can think of atm.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
    I like a hack where it's all new!
    I don't want to replay old scripts or explore old maps.
    I like it when the tiles are nice and crisp.
    I also like it when there are new overworlds.

Isn't much to ask is it?

School days again...
    Years
    I like the hack wherein first, the concept is different, like being the bad one, just an example. Second, something new to hackers' eyes, things like bus change to train, something like that... Third, (optional) new tiles and overworlds... Last, nice story, extravagant scripts!!!! I mostly like those in anime... that's for my likes in a hack...

Back