• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What do you think of the GTS in gen VI?

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
    That's a good idea but it also complicates the process of trying to get those event legendary's. Due to not many people have the OR you don't have a friend who does have it. I just think they should either redo all the past events so that things like Darkrai, Arceus, Shaymin, Jirachi, Celebi etc. aren't so hard to get, OR make them available as in game legends. Ive given up all hope on the GTS ever being as good as it could be. But also its about time they implement something new and improved. Heres to hoping Pokemon Z or Gen VII will have a better way of getting Pokemon.

I agree with you. They should make event legendaries catchable ingame like they did with deoxys.

Gen 4 screwed this up. While their were many ingame legendaries they were not available because you needed special event items, a lot of the items to get them were never released and people just either hacked the pokémon in their games or hacked the items. Either way some of the ingame legends were not legit.

They could fix that making every legendary catchable ingame without event items. One way would be by filling the dex and catch a certain amount of pokémon. The GTS might be a lot better than now. Like if gen 4 remakes ever come out to catch Arceus you would need to catch almost all pokémon in the national dex before you get an ingame item to challenge him. I also wouldn't mind making it like the eon ticket. Only a few get released, but by spotpassing it you can receive it or after a while it becomes a wifi downloadable item.

Event-exclusive pokémon ruin the trading of pokémon because of the limited number of them. I hate how you can't catch many of the latest legendaries because they were code/movie downloads. And you don't even catch them you just get them and the fun of searching for them and cathing them is gone.

Years
    GTS should include filters for everything (IVs, Nature, Ability, etc.) Should also allow event Pokemon and any item to be traded. You're telling me a Mega Stone is so special, it can't be traded from Y? But I can find the exact one in AS? You're telling me I can't trade an event Pokemon through GTS, but yet I can BUY PokeBank and send it no problem? Really? I mean, c'mon GameFreak, why? That doesn't make sense. Will changing the coding to allow that suck me into the game like Tron? If so, THEN PLEASE DO IT!

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
    Yes, the GTS is terrible, and there are plenty of ways to fix it that aren't being implemented and possible never will. I'll go into that in a bit.

What you want to remember when you're using it is "Is this a fair trade?" I know that a lot of people on the GTS don't ask themselves that before putting up their Pokemon. Do they really think everyone is that nice, that they will just give them a level 1 Arceus (which doesn't exist) for their level 3 Zigzagoon? What about their level 64 Rhyperior? That must be fair, Rhyperior is pretty rare! Still no. As you can see, if you have good intentions, there is no point in searching for a Pokemon you want. You will never find a suitable offer. There are several people who are asking for non-legendary Pokemon, yes, but they are buried so deeply underneath all of these other greedy requests that you might not be able to find them.
    Thankfully gen VI allows you to input the name of the Pokemon you want, even if you haven't seen it. This way, if you put up a fair Pokemon, you will most likely end up with a successful trade.

When you're offering one, think about whether it's fair. Are you offering a level 12 Totodile for any Snivy? You'll probably get a trade quickly. Or are you offering that same level 12 Totodile for any Golem? Your trade will probably get passed up. (You might get lucky, but I don't reccomend trying) You need to have similar offers. Like a starter for a starter, a Machoke for another Machoke, or a Minun for a Plusle. However, if you're looking for a Pokemon but you don't have an equal offer, go get one. That's right. Go evolve your Dragonair so you can trade your Dragonite for a Tyranitar. Don't be lazy and expect people to do the work for you.

But it's not even a problem contained within the GTS either, it's everywhere there are Pokemon. I'm sure you've turned on the internet, ready to do some trading or something, and you pass by a whole bunch of people, as you typically do. At least one (more like hundreds) of people you've passed by have messages set to "shiny volcanion plz" or something absurd like that. Even if you haven't, it exists. Personally, I've noticed it since Gen IV, where the GTS was clogged with requests like you're mentioning. They'd be asking for Pokemon I'd never had before, and you have to wonder how they managed to ask for it, since you have to see the Pokemon before you could request it back then. You'd have thought such children would have matured since then, but it appears they've multiplied and left even more greedy ones in their wake.

Here's a really old post from Tumblr where I mentioned a system that would actually improve the GTS but will never happen!
    Spoiler:

(BTW this isn't directed at anyone in specific. Unless you happen to be one of the people asking for Volcanion.)

EDIT: Also, I have to mention, that I believe the reason they don't allow you to trade events on the GTS is so people don't lose them easily. Because if you put one up for anything other than an event, then you're screwed because you can't get it back or even capture it. It's probably a cautionary measure, not put in place to irritate people.

Another thing, I don't think they should make Pokemon so easily to catch in the games. The reason they have version exclusives is not only to encourage people to buy both games, but to get them to communicate. Sure, they want money. But they also think it's important to connect to people. Why do you think they had the Union Room and the Wi-fi Plaza? That's right, to meet people. You couldn't really talk to them, but they were real people on the other side of that sprite. I digress.
    Anyway, including all Pokemon in the game also makes it reallly easy and if they do that, it makes it really easy to complete everything. Completing the Pokedex is a huge achievement. I didn't complete it until Gen VI, and for good reason. They don't expect 6 year olds to be able to do it. They already made it too easy in my opinion with the DexNav, what more do you want? AND there are like 15 legendaries available in OR/AS. AND you don't need events to complete the Pokedex. They know not everyone can get them. They're just special extras. Almost like DLC. Cool, but not necessary.

Last edited:

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
    Yes, the GTS is terrible, and there are plenty of ways to fix it that aren't being implemented and possible never will. I'll go into that in a bit.

What you want to remember when you're using it is "Is this a fair trade?" I know that a lot of people on the GTS don't ask themselves that before putting up their Pokemon. Do they really think everyone is that nice, that they will just give them a level 1 Arceus (which doesn't exist) for their level 3 Zigzagoon? What about their level 64 Rhyperior? That must be fair, Rhyperior is pretty rare! Still no. As you can see, if you have good intentions, there is no point in searching for a Pokemon you want. You will never find a suitable offer. There are several people who are asking for non-legendary Pokemon, yes, but they are buried so deeply underneath all of these other greedy requests that you might not be able to find them.
    Thankfully gen VI allows you to input the name of the Pokemon you want, even if you haven't seen it. This way, if you put up a fair Pokemon, you will most likely end up with a successful trade.

When you're offering one, think about whether it's fair. Are you offering a level 12 Totodile for any Snivy? You'll probably get a trade quickly. Or are you offering that same level 12 Totodile for any Golem? Your trade will probably get passed up. (You might get lucky, but I don't reccomend trying) You need to have similar offers. Like a starter for a starter, a Machoke for another Machoke, or a Minun for a Plusle. However, if you're looking for a Pokemon but you don't have an equal offer, go get one. That's right. Go evolve your Dragonair so you can trade your Dragonite for a Tyranitar. Don't be lazy and expect people to do the work for you.

But it's not even a problem contained within the GTS either, it's everywhere there are Pokemon. I'm sure you've turned on the internet, ready to do some trading or something, and you pass by a whole bunch of people, as you typically do. At least one (more like hundreds) of people you've passed by have messages set to "shiny volcanion plz" or something absurd like that. Even if you haven't, it exists. Personally, I've noticed it since Gen IV, where the GTS was clogged with requests like you're mentioning. They'd be asking for Pokemon I'd never had before, and you have to wonder how they managed to ask for it, since you have to see the Pokemon before you could request it back then. You'd have thought such children would have matured since then, but it appears they've multiplied and left even more greedy ones in their wake.

Here's a really old post from Tumblr where I mentioned a system that would actually improve the GTS but will never happen!
    Spoiler:

(BTW this isn't directed at anyone in specific. Unless you happen to be one of the people asking for Volcanion.)

EDIT: Also, I have to mention, that I believe the reason they don't allow you to trade events on the GTS is so people don't lose them easily. Because if you put one up for anything other than an event, then you're screwed because you can't get it back or even capture it. It's probably a cautionary measure, not put in place to irritate people.

Another thing, I don't think they should make Pokemon so easily to catch in the games. The reason they have version exclusives is not only to encourage people to buy both games, but to get them to communicate. Sure, they want money. But they also think it's important to connect to people. Why do you think they had the Union Room and the Wi-fi Plaza? That's right, to meet people. You couldn't really talk to them, but they were real people on the other side of that sprite. I digress.
    Anyway, including all Pokemon in the game also makes it reallly easy and if they do that, it makes it really easy to complete everything. Completing the Pokedex is a huge achievement. I didn't complete it until Gen VI, and for good reason. They don't expect 6 year olds to be able to do it. They already made it too easy in my opinion with the DexNav, what more do you want? AND there are like 15 legendaries available in OR/AS. AND you don't need events to complete the Pokedex. They know not everyone can get them. They're just special extras. Almost like DLC. Cool, but not necessary.

Yeah, I do fair trades such as : a omanyte for a kabuto or a smoochum for an igglybuff, or Dialga for Palkia ect. And I do seem to get them fairly quick.

Back