• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you want to see in a Hack?

Short Range

Chargin' mah Solarbeam!
    Years
    I'm just trying to get ideas here so I can add things to my hack. Pokemon Sugilite. Top secret to I won't be making a topic about it in the display. I might once I make a beta.

So what do you guys want to see in a Hack these days? Give me some ideas.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    This belongs at the ROM Hacking section, so I'm going to move it there.

-moved-

Jack of Blades

Bringer of pain...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2007
    I'd like to see a hack that you could be evil in alot like the Pokemon Rockets Revenge (that's in development) and there was Pokemon light and darkness which was one that oyu could choose your side in (development was stopped). Being evil and having a differant storyline would be great because I'm getting sick of the typical storyline collect 8 badges and fight the elite 4 all hacks are based around it almost.

Just my opinion though.

♠εx

Working on my hack, busy also.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2008
    I'm trying to do this myself, but a completely new region, completely new layouts, ive' been trying to make towns that connect to two different places, for instance in Pallet town it goes down and up, mine goes down and then right and left.

If anyone could understand that :P

Jack of Blades

Bringer of pain...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2007
    I could lol, i'm also starting a hack soon i'm just reading up and learning the basics first.

Years
    I think what people try to find in hacks are originality and new regions, with new maps, and new characters. Just something original i guess would be enough to satisfy people.

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
    Years
    What I guess would be good in a hack is more sidequests...you know, so that it doesn't feel stale? I mean, sidequests do make up about 20% of almost any Pokemon Game. Stuff like, find the rare item, or perhaps revealing the location to a new legendary Pokemon? And Day & Night would be good, if someone could figure out a script for that. >< And new sprites (Like Revamps for instance) in place of the old Pokemon sprites. Improved graphics on Maps, Pokemon, Trainers, and OW's also help a game/hack feel newer, in my opinion.

BlackDragonite

Austrian Pokémon Expert
    Years
    Hmmm, I would say:
    NO JOHTO STARTERS PLEASE!!!
    In almost every hack with a new story you have to take one of the Johto starters.

Short Range

Chargin' mah Solarbeam!
    Years
    OK then. I'm officially going to start two Hacks and each has it's differences. Pokemon: Depths of Darkness and Pokemon: Skies of Terror. Nobody steal the names please. :P

Pokemon: Depths of Darkness and Pokemon: Skies of Terror (C) Tom, 2007.

Thanks. :D

Edit: What starters would you preffer?

BlackDragonite

Austrian Pokémon Expert
    Years
    I would like to have new starters.
    My first example: Fakemon
    My second example: Normal Pokémon, like Abra (with changed attacks), Eeve, Dratini, or smth like that. (or baby Pokémon)

от_Ian

Original Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2007
    I'd like to see one that used completely original content (I.E. your own sprites for bulbasaur, your own songs, your own characters [other than pokemon obviously], your own geography) and the ability to trick this rom into thinking it's apart of the diamond/pearl or r/s/e series so it can linkup with them. If that's not possible then Why not just make your own game, where instead of 'catching pokemon' it's you and a couple of friends who go around battling people one on one or two on two.

Short Range

Chargin' mah Solarbeam!
    Years
    Well I figured that what's the point of making two games when you could just make one with all Pokemon catchable? I'll merge the two games and make Pokemon: Age of Darkness. Copyright to me. :P

And A question. How do I make more Event Pokemon in the game without erasing others like Zapdos? Can anyone tell me?

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Well I figured that what's the point of making two games when you could just make one with all Pokemon catchable? I'll merge the two games and make Pokemon: Age of Darkness. Copyright to me. :P

And A question. How do I make more Event Pokemon in the game without erasing others like Zapdos? Can anyone tell me?

Scripts.

Scripts are also what I like to see in hacks.

ShadowLucario

Shadow Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2008
    id like to see maybe like a storyline of how pokemon were just being created, and you could catch some but not all, and unlock different places to get different pokemon. Idk, somethin like that.:)

Pokemon Hacking Overlord
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2013
    Original Plot

Yeah, I was just thinking that a hack with a more original plot (and more side quests) is badly needed. The "Earn eight badges, beat Elite Four, become champion" plot line is getting pretty darn old by now...

Also, some innovative and interesting scripting would be cool.

Finally, some choice in the plot line. Where you make decisions, which affect all your game play throughout the game. Maybe choose between options occasionally, and what you do affects what happen later. (I don't know, maybe your rival dies or something).

Plot, plot, plot is the key.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2015
    a hack with something other than the same old missions and maybe some new pkmn, but u should change like the entire map

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2014
    I'd like to see one where events happen, like in Zelda Ocarina of Time, Kakariko Village gets caught on fire, which would be cool to see in Pokemon. Another cool thing to see would be a battle change, instead of that same battle screen from the very first Pokemon version, maybe it'd be like it is when you're traveling around. Basically, watching a battle. xD

Short Range

Chargin' mah Solarbeam!
    Years
    What version should I hack? Ruby, Sapphire, Leafgreen or Firered. If I'm going to do LeafGreen or FireRed I'll need a list of Pokemon and Item Values for PokeScript. Does anyone know where to get that?

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2014
    Gold/Silver, they're like the funnest to hack :D

Back