• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What gave Pokemon its bad reputation.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    Haha just like everyone else has said, it's pretty much the anime. Some of my friends, even the ones as much as 25-30 years old will every once in a while pull out their gameboys and play Pokemon.

And in case you're wondering, YES these are fully functional adults. LOL. They have jobs and some are married with kids.

However, a single mention of the Pokemon anime causes people to cringe, kids and adults alike.

Tidbit - - I found these Pokemon magnets while digging through old stuff in my room a few weeks ago. I decided to stick them on the back of my car. Every once in a while I'll be filling up with gas and someone will walk by and be like, "Wow, Pokemon! Awesome!" or some other random exclamation. I've had males, females, young and old comment on them. Pokemon really does stick around. XD

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Everything is mocked at one point or another. If you can't handle being mocked then don't be interested in anything, in fact, don't even exist.

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years

Actually, there are 2 main reasons, depending on what type of person whom you were mocket at.
    The first reason is mainly due to the avid religious people who hate pokemon for the so called evil in the concept of pokemon battles. They equate pokemon battles to **** fighting, that's why they misunderstand the concept of pokemon battles and start creating prejudical remarks on those who play pokemon and the franchise itself.
    The second reason is that those who think they are "mature" by playing other games, feel that pokemon is childish because it is played in childhood. They wrongly identify pokemon is this sense.

loucas

100% hot
    Years
    the point is..

they made it have some twists like the EVs, IVS and base stat etc, which were hard to understand at first, the item, move combinations, the characteristics and nature. i cant believe they do it like that,, and still....

they make it looks like a children's game

oh come on? will a two year old understand that stuff! sheessh

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Bidoof gave it it's bad rep.
    Wow. I really never thought of that! XD

Seriously people, pokemon just got its bad rep somehow. It may or may not be the reasons mentioned above by others but I really don't know which reason is more valid. Maybe because of childish anime, Games' graphics not like something that runs on Xbox 360 or PS3, Maybe because of the childish promotion of the games/anime etc. There are really many reasons which can be taken into account for the bad rep that pokemon has obtained through the years.

I really feel a little bad that games who have such a gargantuan potential of gaining popularity(It already is very popular,I know!) are not able to reach out to many people. Many people just hate the word 'Pokemon'. I really can't understand why.....

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    It's probably the cartoon series, but I think that if Nintendo took the cartoon series away, Pokemon wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is.

derozio

Years
    It's probably the cartoon series, but I think that if Nintendo took the cartoon series away, Pokemon wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is.
    I really don't think so. I think that the anime will dissappear(if it continues to decline) before the games. I really don't want the games to end. And I think that you know that the anime is based on the games and not vice versa!

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
    It doesn't have a bad reputation at all.
    It's seen by many people to be a children's game and a lot of teasing and nastiness towards you or your friends if you like it and you're a bit on in years, say teenager onwards(I'm 18 myself).
    But the games are so diverse and there's many challenges within the games that I just can't see a child under 10 even capable of completing without the childish frustrations of throwing her/his game system against a wall(I actually find it frustrating sometimes myself).
    The games are quite a difficult challenge for the younger generation, just because it's aimed toward a lower age group, that is to say, it's age limit is on the box, that doesn't mean it's wrong for older people to play it. Some people just don't get this.

Some people were against the anime for a while because of their dislike for the replacement of the old voice actors(I can agree with this, I was so used to hearing the old voice actors that hearing the new voices put me off alot), but I continued watching anyway.

If anyone makes fun of me over liking Pokemon, I just turn away and could care less about what they think or say on it.
    It doesn't have a bad reputation at all. It's merely misunderstood by some people to be a children's thing, when it's clearly not.
    If this show/game was a children's thing, then we would not have such a massive community of both young and mature age groups here at Pokecommunity.

I'm just guessing here, but the Pokemon fanbase is so large, it can't possibly be seen to have a bad rep, half the world probably likes Pokemon whilst the other half does not.
    Also, all the scandals from religious citations does not help. It's a completely misunderstood thing really.
    Everyone should give Pokemon a chance and if you don't like it at first, then that's okay, but it's definitely worth giving it a second chance too.

I can still see both the anime and games being around, even when I reach my 30's(Remember, that's only another 11 and half years for me, since I'm almost 19).
    I bet you now, my soul, that it will still be here when I'm 30. If it's not, I'll give away everything I own to some strangers.

Last edited:

derozio

Years
    Its not entirely true. I agree that it hasn't got bad rep but it has got something that makes people utter 'Oh! You like pokemon. You're so childish.' or something like that.
    And I think that your last sentence also makes complete sense.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I blame Pikachu. |:<

Personally, I don't know. I remember when my mom mocked me for playing it, which was rather irritating. :\ I guess it's probably some of the Pokemon designs (especially the baby Pokemon) and the anime.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
    You are mocked because it's a cartoon-ish styled thing. It looks childish, but that does not by any reason, mean it's childish.
    It definitely has a lot of life lessons included within to teach younger children.
    Also, Parents Against Pokemon, really need to sort out their priorities, let people have their childhood.
    Even if it was a children's thing, you're basically entitled to that until you turn 18 or 21.
    But it's not a children's thing. People judge things far too easily.

I could tell you, if you got a adult or someone who either never watched nor liked Pokemon just because of the look of it, and parked them down on a chair and told them to watch the Pokemon anime from the beginning and continue watching or handed them a Gameboy Advance or a DS with any of the released Pokemon games or the spin-off games on other consoles and had them play through from beginning to end, they would change both their thoughts and heart on the subject and decide that it is quite an interesting anime/game and so on.

Some parents mock their older children for it because of fear that they would be bullied or made fun of. That's just them being parents.
    People looking to do you over because you made a choice to like something they don't only goes to show they have issues.
    It's our choice to like or dislike something, even if they don't, and they should learn to live with and accept the fact we have made this choice, and not try interfere with it.

derozio

Years
    You are mocked because it's a cartoon-ish styled thing. It looks childish, but that does not by any reason, mean it's childish.
    It definitely has a lot of life lessons included within to teach younger children.
    Also, Parents Against Pokemon, really need to sort out their priorities, let people have their childhood.
    Even if it was a children's thing, you're basically entitled to that until you turn 18 or 21.
    But it's not a children's thing. People judge things far too easily.

I could tell you, if you got a adult or someone who either never watched nor liked Pokemon just because of the look of it, and parked them down on a chair and told them to watch the Pokemon anime from the beginning and continue watching or handed them a Gameboy Advance or a DS with any of the released Pokemon games or the spin-off games on other consoles and had them play through from beginning to end, they would change both their thoughts and heart on the subject and decide that it is quite an interesting anime/game and so on.

Some parents mock their older children for it because of fear that they would be bullied or made fun of. That's just them being parents.
    People looking to do you over because you made a choice to like something they don't only goes to show they have issues.
    It's our choice to like or dislike something, even if they don't, and they should learn to live with and accept the fact we have made this choice, and not try interfere with it.
    That's something that explains the answers for this thread. I completely agree with you. But can you explain why our own friends mock us? Its maybe because they don't know what pokemon is all about.

BJ088

It's been so long!
    Years
    But can you explain why our own friends mock us? Its maybe because they don't know what pokemon is all about.

It's the sole fact that it's deemed as "childish" to them.
    I mean I have friends that still watch cartoons on TV and that's not childish to them, but the minute you tell someone you have a passion for collection Pokemon cards or anything like that, they look at you and think "are you kidding me?".

I for one am a big party animal, love going out, love socializing, love hitting nightclubs and doing the so called "cool" things. That's not to say that it's cool to do those things, but that's what is looked at in society as the "cool" things to do. The minute you tell your friends or anyone that you meet when they ask you "what hobbies do you have" or "what do you do other than your job", and you tell them you collect Pokemon cards or ANYTHING of the sort...they will look at you as either immature, a child or a loser. FACT!

Why am I so sure that it's fact? Because 9 times out 10 that is the case and it's a really sad thing to judge someone that way but it's something that happens all the time which is out of our power and stuck in the common human mind.

That will never change. I know 30 year olds that still collect Pokemon card and play the game...does that make them losers? childish? In my opinion, no. It just means they have a hobby and interest outside getting on the alcohol every week, going for coffee to pass time and spending money on other things that may give THEM pleasure and satisfaction.

It's an arguement or topic of conversation that could go for days on end, pages on end, or even YEARS on end. Fact of the matter is, we like it, and that's it.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    A vast majority of people exposed to Pokemon have only seen that awful TV show, so I don't blame them at all for calling it childish.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Is any one listening?
    Everything that we know is mocked by someone in the world. It's not the anime's fault that some people can't deal with being bullied or mock.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    It's the sole fact that it's deemed as "childish" to them.
    I mean I have friends that still watch cartoons on TV and that's not childish to them, but the minute you tell someone you have a passion for collection Pokemon cards or anything like that, they look at you and think "are you kidding me?".

I for one am a big party animal, love going out, love socializing, love hitting nightclubs and doing the so called "cool" things. That's not to say that it's cool to do those things, but that's what is looked at in society as the "cool" things to do. The minute you tell your friends or anyone that you meet when they ask you "what hobbies do you have" or "what do you do other than your job", and you tell them you collect Pokemon cards or ANYTHING of the sort...they will look at you as either immature, a child or a loser. FACT!

Why am I so sure that it's fact? Because 9 times out 10 that is the case and it's a really sad thing to judge someone that way but it's something that happens all the time which is out of our power and stuck in the common human mind.

That will never change. I know 30 year olds that still collect Pokemon card and play the game...does that make them losers? childish? In my opinion, no. It just means they have a hobby and interest outside getting on the alcohol every week, going for coffee to pass time and spending money on other things that may give THEM pleasure and satisfaction.

It's an arguement or topic of conversation that could go for days on end, pages on end, or even YEARS on end. Fact of the matter is, we like it, and that's it.

You officially win life.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Personally, I think a lot of the people (teenagers) that mock Pokémon used to be fans when they were younger. They are embarrassed by this since it's 'childish', and take out their insecurities on others. I haven't been 'mocked' for liking Pokémon since high school and, really what isn't mocked in high school.

Back