• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeG

Pokemon Awakening-Coming Soon!
Years
  • Gah stop complaining its being like over 15 years of creating and now around 600 or more Pokemon, I would like to see you guys do better at this time.

Some new Pokemon are actually really cool and to be honest I think they done an alright job with the starters/legends for how long it has being.

Chatot Lover

happy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    I don't know, but some people always have something to complain about isn't it?
    I mean, of course the new Pokémon look different compared to the earlier generations and I also like the 1st and 2nd gens best but I'm really wondering if you guys could do better.
    At first I couldn't stand the Pokémon of the 4th generation but as I played Diamond I started to like more and more Pokémon and now I even find it better than the 3rd gen. As you may guess my very favorite is also among the 4th gen Pokes. I only find most of the legendaries ugly but the others are mainly good.
    For now I like the new starters and the 2 legendaries dont look too bad either. I just don't see why some people find the latest PKMN too "fancy" looking. I have the feeling that most of you would also complain if the 1st generation was actually the 4th. Because we grew up with the 1st gen it appears more likeable to us since we've been used to it for a long time.
    There are ppl on this thread who say "the 4th gen killed Pokemon" and still you apparently play it since you wouldn't be posting on a PKMN forum otherwise.
    I dont really get this.

And no, I didn't read further than the first page.

Last edited:

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    As someone who grew up when Red and Blue came out, I must say I like the first two generations the best. However, the Pokemon designs appeal to me solely because of nostalgia, not creativity (although, they were more creative at the time than any competitors).

I was actually going to quit Pokemon after Silver, since I was satisfied with where the franchise was, and Gen. II was far superior in graphics and gameplay to Gen. I, while including the entire area of Kanto. However, I recieved a copy of Ruby as an unexpected gift and was immediately hooked by the creativity of the Pokemon. Despite my dislike of Treecko and Torchic which prompted me to pick Mudkip, I enjoyed the designs of nearly every new Pokemon. They were different, yes, but that was not a bad thing. It opened up my world of Pokemon because I realized that it didn't have to be exactly like earlier games to still be the same Pokemon experience I had come to enjoy. The beauty of the graphics and new environs just made it that much more appealing.

When Diamond and Pearl came out, I was much more unsure about the designs, but they have grown on me over the years because I gave them a chance. And as they have done so I notice more and more that they are still in almost the same style as earlier Pokemon, they do have that "Sugimori touch", and I just couldn't see it before. And from what I've seen of Gen. V, the designs are much better and much easier to recognize as Pokemon than Gen. IV was.

Now, I still have newer Pokemon I don't like the designs for (e.g. Nosepass, Hippopotas) but there were also older Pokemon that didn't grow on me until their newer graphics and movesets in Gen. III, such as Farfetch'd, Lickitung, Aipom, Igglybuff, etc. (well, I still don't like the look of Igglybuff).

So basically the point of my rambling wall of text is to give the new guys the benefit of the doubt and don't compare them to the earlier Pokemon until you have the chance to get used to them. Nostalgia vs novelty always skews the balance too much to render objective judgment now.
    This. For all new and younger player of pokemon, please don't blame us rambling about newer Pokemon just because nostalgia-tinted glass. It is a good memory back from we still 5-8 years old kid. Even for that simple Fire lizard or Frog that have bulb on its back, and three magnet conjoined together are such awesome thing for that day. It's not easy to get rid of that, believe me. Even me still have difficulties getting used to the change. Maybe some first gen player have no problem getting rid of their nostalgic memories, it's good for them. But believe me, in somewhere between generation 7 or 8, people who play Pokemon starting from generation will complain just as we are now first and second generation player complaining about the changes.

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • It's not like Gen. I Pokes were completely simple, either; Rhyhorn and Cloyster are a real ***** to draw without any references. But, I think I'll have to agree with most everyone else. Our nostalgia glasses have been super-glued to our faces, and we can't pry them off.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's not like Gen. I Pokes were completely simple, either; Rhyhorn and Cloyster are a real ***** to draw without any references. But, I think I'll have to agree with most everyone else. Our nostalgia glasses have been super-glued to our faces, and we can't pry them off.

Dito that XD I can still draw Pikachu and Jigglypuff, but not those more complicated things like Rhyhorn, though I used to be able to, teheh.

And nostalgia glasses isn't solely a bad thing. It's good that many like the old games still, rather than letting them fade away when newer generation games come, methinks.

-> Anybody know if Satoshi Tajiri was the designer of Gen I, or Ken Sugimori, or if it was people at Gamefreak?

Thunderhead

Ride the Lightning
    Years
  • I like the 3rd and 4th generation. I probley have more dislikes in the 2nd gen if you want to be fair.

When you want to talk about simple-ness in the 1st - 2/3/4 gen. Then lets look at some pokemon here.

Garaydos, Blastoise, Venusar, Magikarp, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Scyther. These guys here are just some of the more complex pokemon of this gen.

In every generation, there are simple pokemon, and there are complex pokemon.

I could go on and list what I think about each one, but it would just go as spam.

Also, are simple pokemon that are closer to ditto on the simplistic scale any worst than those that arn't? Some of my favorite pokemon (Electivire, Flygon, Metagross, and Dusknoir) are some complexed pokemon.

This is not because I go at them and see "NEW! MUST BE COOL", no I like these pokemon because there appearance isn't just something crafted up by throwing random objects here and there.

To sum this all up - Its pokemon, there has always been complex looking pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    Garaydos, Blastoise, Venusar, Magikarp, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Scyther. These guys here are just some of the more complex pokemon of this gen.

When you say Blastoise is complex you kind of misunderstand.. Look at the faces of Venausaur, Blastoise, Rhydon, Nidoking and Nidoqueen.. Those are typical monster faces which, together with much more, drew me against Pokemon. Pokemon are more or less animals and mythic(but "real") creatures with a humanlike personality, which we see. Their similarities with real animals are much clearer in the first and second generation. In later generations, Pokemon have become much more unnatural with evolutions becoming much more unpredictable, and alot of focus on getting "newer" and "cooler".
    Now the things I really dislike about the new Pokemon generation are the many unnecessary histories and abilities the Pokemon get through alot of unnecessary objects and sign that only make the pokemon more complex and more unnatural than what they originally were.
    Look at Buneary. Too much focus on the background of the ears, turned Lopunny's ears into two massive ugly ears that are meant to be beautiful. Look at Shieldon. Too much focus on the shield makes his evolution a Battle-Pokemon only meant for strength rather than the hardworking animals you catch because they're cool.
    Now look at Blastoise. The only unnatural thing is the guns he uses for water attacks. But it doesn't make us question the fact that he is a Turtle, because he doesn't change too much from the evolutions, and they don't throw too many objects that make us question the true nature of Blastoise.
    Now take a look at Chimchar. His next evelution get's a ugly blue face which seperate Chimchar and Monferno to some degree. To end the entire group of evelution, Infernape has some major differences from Chimchar, and the fact that it's a Ape gets a bit hidden because of some unnecessary plates on his knees and elbows, and some sudden white fur that has grown. They also seperate him more from Chimchar so that Chimchar and Infernape do not look as related as for example Charmander and Charizard does. There are worse examples, but I won't make this post longer than it is.
    Now the legendarys are specially ugly as they bring back more of the unnatural and überpower-feeling that made me dislike Digimon.

I thought the starters of generation 4 were cool.. But their evolutions destroyed them.

Last edited:

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    When you say Blastoise is complex you kind of misunderstand.. Look at the faces of Venausaur, Blastoise, Rhydon, Nidoking and Nidoqueen.. Those are typical monster faces which, together with much more, drew me against Pokemon. Pokemon are more or less animals and mythic(but "real") creatures with a humanlike personality, which we see. Their similarities with real animals are much clearer in the first and second generation. In later generations, Pokemon have become much more unnatural with evolutions become much more unpredictable, and alot of focus on getting "newer" and "cooler".
    Now the things I really dislike about the new Pokemon generation are the many unnecessary histories and abilities the Pokemon get through alot of unnecessary objects and sign that only make the pokemon more complex and more unnatural than what they originally were.
    Look at Buneary. Too much focus on the background of the ears, turned Lopunny's ears into two massive ugly ears that are meant to be beautiful. Look at Shieldon. Too much focus on the shield makes this a Battle-Pokemon only meant for strength rather than the hardworking animals you catch because they're cool.
    Now look at Blastoise. The only unnatural thing is the guns he uses for water attacks. But it doesn't make us question the fact that he is a Turtle, because he doesn't change too much from the evolutions, and they don't throw too many objects that make us question the true nature of Blastoise.
    Now take a look at Chimchar. His next evelution get's a ugly blue face which seperate Chimchar and Monferno to some degree. To end the entire group of evelution, Infernape has some major differences from Chimchar, and the fact that it's a Ape gets a bit hidden because of some unnecessary plates on his knees and elbows, and some sudden white fur that has grown. They also seperate him more from Chimchar so that Chimchar and Infernape do not look as related as for example Charmander and Charizard does. There are worse examples, but I won't make this post longer than it is.
    Now the legendarys are specially ugly as they bring back more of the unnatural and überpower-feeling that made me dislike Digimon.

I thought the starters of generation 4 were cool.. But their evolutions destroyed them.
    You sir, are a genius. I think why dislike newer generation because of this.

JakeClowd

the Silent Clowd
    Years
  • honestly, I don't know what youall are complaining about.
    The new designs and well, everything, is just to show how far the gaming industry as a whole is coming. If it was simplistic, nobody would like it. I for one is, and always has been very excited about the new generations and I will be very disappointed when nintendo finally does give up on the pokemon franchise.

*With how much you guys are brutalling it, it may happen pretty soon*

And, another thing. Every body ask yourself this: What would it be like if Ninteno gave up and cancled the pokemon franchise for good. That would be like Final Fantasy suddenly stop making sequels. It would ruin it more if they were to stop. I'd rather play Pokemon til' i'm 25 then to have them stop. SERIOUSLY! Before you comment negatively on ANY forum, think about what it would be like if there was no Pokemon, no new Dex entries to look forward to, no ne region, no new story lines. There will be a day when pokemon dies. Lets try to make that some time into the future. thankyou.

long live pokemon, and have the day when it stops be very long off.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2013
    well i belive the dont have any good ideas anymore so they just create some new thingys well the best example for thes i s the whole 4th gen. and the starters of the 5th T_T the 1st and the 2nd gen where the best once the pokemon looks like pokemon and not like random nightmare thingys =O anyway ...

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I actually like the new looking pokemon. fourth gen was a bit weird... but so far i like the look of the 5th gen pokemon. except that water starter piplup-wannabe thing. I think the newer gens are more interesting then the 1st gen. If pokemon didn't evolve like this, we would all complain it and we wouldn't have awesome pokemon games. Look around you, everything is evolving. things change. if the pokemon francise kept trying to be simple, they would all look the same. it's hard enough creating new pokemon as it is without trying to make it simple. And so what if the 5th gen ends up having a big story behind it? all the more fun, instead of just doing the same old thing in every single game.
    Also imo the 5th gen legendaries have got to be the best in design so far, though i think they would still draw against lugia. lugias awesome.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Now, I've grown to like Mirjumaru's design. A sea otter! It's cute :o

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    Now about the 4 new pokemon that were revealed:
    Chiramii is okay, The pidgeon is good except for the extremely straight line on the wing. Now the pink elephant is awful. The Mechanic-pokemon is even worse.

I would like the animals to be more realistic to compared to real animals, and I like the idea of Pokemon being only one type rather then overdoing a Pokemon by making it a multi-type with various abilities.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    It's mainly the names that I find a bit...over the top. I mean come on, Regigigas? o_o that could be Quagmire's new catchphrase.
    Floaroma Town isn't much better either. The simple ones like Cerulean City were fine xD
    But hey, at this point I'd have ran out of ideas too. :P

Regigiggity would be a sweet evo

MetryoV

Ultimate Challenger
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2010
    I loved the 3rd gen of Pokemon over the 2nd gen but yeah, 4th gen was just...blah

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I would have to dissagree with you on that, I simply love the 3rd and 4th generations. To me, pokemon was never simple, at any point. Since I went backwards in time (jumped from 3rd gen, to 1st gen) the old games were harder for me to play, which it was not simple at all lol. Pokemon is going to keep growing and people are just going to have to accept that, like it or not.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    People stop comlainig, they are running out of ideas and they dont waqnt to resuse the same ideas TOO much. They have to expand into complexity. If you love the classic pokemon, play r/g/y/b/g/s/c/fr/lg/hg/ss. You have 11 choices out of 19 games.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back