• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    People stop comlainig, they are running out of ideas and they dont waqnt to resuse the same ideas TOO much. They have to expand into complexity. If you love the classic pokemon, play r/g/y/b/g/s/c/fr/lg/hg/ss. You have 11 choices out of 19 games.

There's a balance. The new complex Pokemon seems to attract a few people and some seem to dislike the concept. They have renewed the 1st and 2nd gen-games once now, and I doubt they'll renew them again later on(there will always be 11 games out of 19->). That's why they at this rate will gain some fans, and lose some fans. I don't know if they will gain more fans than they'l lose. It seems like many of the original fans are already gone. I think Pokemon attract different people now, compared to before. It also seems like Pokemon is not as popular now as it was before.
    NB! They don't HAVE to be more complex. They CHOOSE to be more complex. At the beginning Pokemon was a fairytale, now it's a computergame...

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
    Years
    The new pokemon attract new fan and lost some. It is normal.
    Just know that the 1st generetion pokemon did the same thing.
    Some people like them much, and some hate them to the death.
    It is just a repetitive circle.

chanchimi

With a Side of Cheddar
    Years
    Yeah, I liked the simplicity of 1st and 2nd Gen of Pokemon. I don't think it's bad that the designs are becoming more complicated and detailed, I only mind when they are a little too far out there.

When Digimon and Pokemon first came out, Pokemon was simple and Digimon was complex. I think Pokemon should stay simple, or they may start looking like Digimon! (Not that I'd mind if they looked like them, I love Digimon xD)

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I liked the simplicity of 1st and 2nd Gen of Pokemon. I don't think it's bad that the designs are becoming more complicated and detailed, I only mind when they are a little too far out there.

When Digimon and Pokemon first came out, Pokemon was simple and Digimon was complex. I think Pokemon should stay simple, or they may start looking like Digimon! (Not that I'd mind if they looked like them, I love Digimon xD)

sure as long as they dont turn into and rhino-dragon knights with swords and wings that speak english.

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
    Years
    Also, complexity is the reflect of today's society.
    We always need to do better, look better and all those stupid complex thing that everyone follow.
    And pokemon just follow the flow.
    They make complex pokemon for complex poeple.

juanhbk1

Somewhere in the Middle?
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2016
    I love complicated pokemon I mean look at Dewgong and Persian it's a seal and a cat, I think these new pokemon are showing creativness.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    I dislike the grass and fire starter line in the 2nd gen. I like all of the 3rd gen starters. I dislike the water starter in the 5th gen. I dont like the water or grass starter lines in the first gen.

Each pokemon and generation has a different style. if you dont like it, dont buy the games.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Now about the 4 new pokemon that were revealed:
    Chiramii is okay, The pidgeon is good except for the extremely straight line on the wing. Now the pink elephant is awful. The Mechanic-pokemon is even worse.

I would like the animals to be more realistic to compared to real animals, and I like the idea of Pokemon being only one type rather then overdoing a Pokemon by making it a multi-type with various abilities.

Okay, so you want them to be comparable to animals that you know of? Because remember there are over 1.5 million species on this Earth and newer pokemon could be designed off of ones not seen, possible even extinct. That would make them no less realistic than pokemon from the earlier generations.

In later generations, Pokemon have become much more unnatural
    I can agree w/ what osme of what you said, but not all.

1) What is an unnatural pokemon? Are pokemon suppose to look a certain way? If so please inform me of how they are expected to be designed. To me, a pokemon is a pokemon. It's apart of a game that is meant to be for fune. I don't take things like 'unnatural' or 'natural' too seriously.

Now the things I really dislike about the new Pokemon generation are the many unnecessary histories and abilities the Pokemon get through alot of unnecessary objects and sign that only make the pokemon more complex and more unnatural than what they originally were.

I don't think they are that unnecessary. It's meant to make newer pokemon stand out from the older ones, well in my opinion. Again w/ the unnatural? Please verfiy what you mean by this. Pokemon is becoming more complex, no doubt, but again like I mentioned I think it's to differentiate between older ones. One can't expect simply-designed ones once you've made 493+ can you?

Too much focus on the shield makes his evolution a Battle-Pokemon only meant for strength rather than the hardworking animals you catch because they're cool.
    Not hardworking? No offense but that just seems to be a rather dumb comment. Pokemon aren't alive, they aren't hardworking, and if they were then I don't see how Bastiodon's shield-like head means it's not hardworking.

I thought the starters of generation 4 were cool.. But their evolutions destroyed them.

Hmm, I can respect your opinion but I don't think they were destroyed. Though I have to say Piplup has the best predicatable evolution path out of all of them. It goes form a baby penguin to an emperor penguin, can't get any more 'natural' than that.

Now look at Blastoise. The only unnatural thing is the guns he uses for water attacks. But it doesn't make us question the fact that he is a Turtle, because he doesn't change too much from the evolutions, and they don't throw too many objects that make us question the true nature of Blastoise.
    If you are comparing Infernape to Blastoise..well, it's still pretty obvious that Infernape is an ape. It really didn't have that much differtiation between it's evos and it's true nature is still also obviously known disregarding the fact the only real difference is the plates on it.

Last edited:

SargeantMajorKururu

Loves Pokemon Black
    Years
    The name of this thread is wrong. I mean come on. 2 gears with faces isn't simple? Puh-leeze. And a zebra? How is that guy complex at all? The most complex Pokemon so far are the legendaries, and you have to admit there have been earlier Pokemon that are kind of harder to understand. I can see that Reshiram and Zekrom are dragons, but what the crap is Celebi? Some sort of magical, fairy potato? I can't even tell. And while I do agree that Gen 4 had some strange and kind of not-so-simple Pokemon, Gen 5 has several pretty simple Pokemon so far.
    And I actually like a lot of the new Pokemon. Except for Munna. It's weird.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    The name of this thread is wrong. I mean come on. 2 gears with faces isn't simple? Puh-leeze. And a zebra? How is that guy complex at all? The most complex Pokemon so far are the legendaries, and you have to admit there have been earlier Pokemon that are kind of harder to understand. I can see that Reshiram and Zekrom are dragons, but what the crap is Celebi? Some sort of magical, fairy potato? I can't even tell. And while I do agree that Gen 4 had some strange and kind of not-so-simple Pokemon, Gen 5 has several pretty simple Pokemon so far.
    And I actually like a lot of the new Pokemon. Except for Munna. It's weird.

Hihidaruma is sort of complex in terms of origin.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
    What the- They have taken them back to the basic, look at all the simple lines they have. if they where trying to to things complicated, FX: Munna, it could have been alot more complicated, they could have added all sorts of accesorys, some lines across its belly, a mohawk and some spikes. But no! They just made a blob with a nose, an eye and to flowers.

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
    Years
    If anything they went back to basics with this Gen (minus the Legendaries). Meguroko is incredibly simple. Tentacruel is more complex than the chinchilla.

This sounds like a whiny nostalgia geared thread to me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    Well, no matter what there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the old gen pokemon. I mean, you can never forget where you come from, but I can't say the new gen pokemon are just ugly. I mean they are all monsters, so how can you even judge the way they look? I'll admit some of these styles are kinda weird, but if they were the same there would probably be a thread by someone else getting upset about how every pokemon looks the same... You just have to live with it sometimes... Not everyone is going to be happy.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    whether you like the 2d simplicity with the original pokemon that started it all in red blue and yellow or you like the 3d/HD graphics, moving sprites, and new-looking pokemon of the later generations we don't need to persuade each other which side is better we need to just all play to have fun cause in the end that's what it's about. if you like the new games but not the new pokemon trade your old favorites over. or if you want to explore the new regions with the new pokemon go for it. because when it's all said and done we all live in a pokemon world.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    Like Dialga and Palkia. Unnecessary if you ask me.

They look like plastic o.0

UGH I HATE THE NEW POKEMON >.<

CARNIVINE </3
    LICKILICKY </3
    im not going to even go into Bidoof

Im already worried about gen V :(

whether you like the 2d simplicity with the original pokemon that started it all in red blue and yellow or you like the 3d/HD graphics, moving sprites, and new-looking pokemon of the later generations we don't need to persuade each other which side is better we need to just all play to have fun cause in the end that's what it's about. if you like the new games but not the new pokemon trade your old favorites over. or if you want to explore the new regions with the new pokemon go for it. because when it's all said and done we all live in a pokemon world.

Sure, you can walk around with old pokemon. But then you batle someone and then they have an ugly pokemon. No thanks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2011
    Well...you're true. The 1st and 2nd generations were the best.
    3rd generation is too decent, I think. But diamond and pearl are just other than the first 3 generations were. Some POKéMON of 4th gen are cool (Shinx,starly...) but another ones are just weird hybrid creatures :(.
    I hope they will make better ones on 5th gen...

Years
    I hate the new pokemon. I'm sticking with ss all the way. I never will get rid of it. I'll never buy black and white. Unless they come out with pokemon yellow, red, blue for ds. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back