• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What HG/SS gym leader do you HATE!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Battle-wise, Whitney. I hated that Miltank. Appearance/personality-wise, Chuck. I don't see how sitting in a waterfall all day is good training.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • I have to say i too hate whitney a lot, a lot more than anyone can imagine, she gave me a mental break cause she was the third gym leader i ever battled, cause silver was the first pokemon game i ever played, and she took me down like 500 times, sheesh.

Years
  • Definitly Whitney. If you acctually train your Pokemon the legal way, Rollout can be annoying.

It depends how much time you want to spend raising the pokemon you have though.
    You can do it the legal way, and still have great, strong pokemon to destroy Whitney with.
    In my current run through of HG I had a Quilava, Golbat and Gyarados before I faced Whitney.
    Those 3 all really weak against Rollout, but destroyed her nonetheless. :)

I really like Whitney as a gym leader, the gyms are supposed to get harder as you go along.
    I noticed the original GSC days, Bugsy has gotten tougher too, albeit still hasn't evolved his pokemon.

Darksabre

EV Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2011
    Pryce. Mainly because his Seel is really annoying. I dropped my DS right after I beat him, and it turned off :'(. Then I beat him again, and I dropped my DS AGAIN. So I had to beat him 3 times.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Definently Clair. I started out with a Cydnaquil, and other than him I had a Poliwrath and a Jumpluff (Fire-Grass-Water core, duh). Kingdra completely wrecked my team because I didn't have a dragon attack or anything. I eventually had to get Sunny Day, teach it to Jumpluff, and spam Solarbeam with Typlhosion. It eventually worked, but it was a long and hard battle.

Whitney gave me no problems, though. I taught Fire Blast to my starter early on, and a level 25 Quilava with a Modest nature's Fire Blast OHKOed it. Yeah, I like grinding.

Years
  • Definently Clair. I started out with a Cydnaquil, and other than him I had a Poliwrath and a Jumpluff (Fire-Grass-Water core, duh). Kingdra completely wrecked my team because I didn't have a dragon attack or anything. I eventually had to get Sunny Day, teach it to Jumpluff, and spam Solarbeam with Typlhosion. It eventually worked, but it was a long and hard battle.

Whitney gave me no problems, though. I taught Fire Blast to my starter early on, and a level 25 Quilava with a Modest nature's Fire Blast OHKOed it. Yeah, I like grinding.

Kingdra can be a total pain if you don't have the right pokemon.
    She's one of the reasons I went with training a Gyarados. Ice Fang/Thunderbolt destroyed her team. :)

Years
  • Uggh... Morty. His Gengar's Shadow Ball made short work of my entire team. I can't remember exactly how I beat this guy in my last file, but I think it involved a couple of lucky hits...

Surprisingly, Whitney wasn't much trouble for me. I went into the battle with Quilava, Croconaw, Skiploom, and Sandshrew, the first of which was my starter and the only female on my team. And in this battle, the other three just sat and watched while Quilava handled the entire match by herself. Miltank, normally a major threat to a Fire-type Pokemon because of Rollout, was reduced to a minor threat at best thanks to Defense Curl and Smokescreen. And Attract was useless, eliminating another threat and leaving Miltank with only its Milk Drink as a means of annoyance. It didn't last long, though. :)

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I guess Whitney because she was faster than my GROVYLE!! Well, thats only when battling her. I hated Clair's attitude. I just hate gym leaders with an attitude. :|

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • Whitney? I think she is too easy in HG/SS, she was much harder in G/S/C, in HG I have never seen her Miltank using Milk Drink, in Gold she used that every time she had low energy and I had to try again to kill it.

I think it's Chuck, I think I have never beaten him with first try. I always start with Cyndaquil and my Quilava isn't a good way to kill Poliwrath. And the main reason I'm having problems is that I have about 20-25 level Pokémon when he has 29 and 31 level Pokémon and only Pokémon that was faster than Primeape (I never had problems with Primeape in Gold) was Poliwag and Hypnosis doesn't work because of Vital Spirit. Primeape keeps using Double Team and I never hit it... Then again it's good that Poliwrath didn't have DynamicPunch, I got always confused...

Back