• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if Pikachu's Name Had Been Changed by 4Kids?

Alana

I still love this world...
    Years
    Well I was bored and wondered what would have happened to the little yellow rat if 4Kids had changed his name. They turned Gonbe into Munchlax so what would they have done to little Pikachu? Perhaps Shokster or Elecram. What do you think?

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    Well, 4Kids doesn't change the name do they? I thought it was Nintendo of America that translated the games and 4Kids only translated the shows.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2009
    Well I was bored and wondered what would have happened to the little yellow rat if 4Kids had changed his name. They turned Gonbe into Munchlax so what would they have done to little Pikachu?

4Kids didn't change Gonbe's name, Nintendo of America did. Stupid.

Alana

Years
    ^^' OK I made a mistake. No need to get harsh. I still mean the same thing. What if Nintendo of America had changed Pikachu's name. I may be stupid. I made sure I had my facts on Gonbe right and spelling just to reassure myself I wasn't going to make a fool of myself, and I over looked an essential detail. :P Sorry bout that.

Edit: There was no need to give me bad rep for the mistake. :'(

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2009
    Well, if NoA had changed Pikachu's name, nothing would have been different. The series has survived with about 90% of the Pokemon's names being different in English, so why would one more make a difference?

Alana

Years
    Main character being called Elecram. I think it might have made a difference. Besides, it's obvious to me you really don't care so why are you posting? Yeah, I am feeling rather cold to you at the moment.

WTF. 4Kids didn't change Gonbe's name, and there's no way in hell they'd have been able to change Pikachu's.

I'm guessing that was you?

Edit: Thanks to whoever gave me the good rep in return. ^_^

Years
    If you're asking what it would've been changed into, then Sparksqeek is what I came up with. It's basically just a translation of Pika and Chuu, anyway, the U is missing because there's not enough room, and it's a double e since it looks better that way. It looks like a name they'd've come up with... They do seem to like to misspell and drop letters where possible anyway. Though I don't really get your names. They would be hideous names for Pikachu...

Alana

Years
    The names I chose are just off the top of my head. Munchlax is a Pokemon that likes to eat so it got 'munch' and 'lax' is from the lax in Snorlax which I assume comes from relax. So Shokster would simply be from all the Thunder Shock attacks Pikachu does and Elecram, ele=electric, ram=all I did was change the t to m and so that's rat. Electric rat. Simple and not very good but it could have happened I suppose. I am very glad it didn't.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    It would makes no different because people will be yelling "Go Eleram!!" inseade of "Go Pikachu!!"

Or the people who use the japanese name will be refuring to the little yellow mouse as pikachuu like they do to whatever-Ash's-japanese-name-is.

Alana

Years
    Hmm. If Satoshi were to send out Pikachu and cry, "Elecram Thunder Bolt!" I think it'd sound funny. And he'd sound rather stupid. ^^'

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    In my opinion if pikachu would always have been called elecram or something like that we wouldn't think it sounded weird. But I agree with alana on the
    If Satoshi were to send out Pikachu and cry, "Elecram Thunder Bolt!" I think it'd sound funny. And he'd sound rather stupid. ^^'
    part

Years
    Your names don't fit the style... They wouldn't make the word "rat" unrecognisable. When only two letters from a word remain, it's hard to recognise it. And the cram sounds too much like cramming for an exam. That'd make him a psychic type. Or ram, which wuld make him a sheep. Shokster is fine for their nicknames, but not for a Pokemon name. They don't just add random bits at the end.

But if his name had been the same all the time we had it, we'd never have known any better, as someone else said.

Alana

Years
    Yes I have pointed out that that was rude but I don't want to start it again.

I agree with you that we wouldn't know any better and yes as I said the names are just off the top of my head. If it had actually been changed it may have ended up being Pichu. That'd be unusual. I wonder what Pichu would have been. Picu perhaps? But in my opinion NoA should leave some of the Pokemon's names alone. Munchlax sounds like it could have been made up by a kid. I like Gonbe better. Still can't changed what has been changed. What do you think NoA would have done to Pikachu's name had they changed it?

Sato

N'cha!
    Years
    Maybe something like "Thundouse" or "Moushock"...

It's strange what Nintendo of America do with some names though... I mean keeping a name like "Caterpie" is good cause you can tell that it's derived from "Caterpillar". And it makes sense to change something like "Onisuzume" to "Spearow" as "Onisuzume" has no meaning in English. However, "Pikachu" has absolutely no meaning/sense in English yet they keep it. While "Dogas" would be perfectly understandable and they change it to "Koffing"...

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Well if pokemon started with pikachu name being umm..blah-insert-what-ever-name-here then it be like normal. I mean when I first hear the word Pikachu. I was thats a funny name. But then I got use to it and it like hearing my best friend name.

That how it be if Pikachu name was change from Japanese to English.

Back