• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What I'm Working On

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
You're talking about non-English-speaking people, which I think are a minority around here to start with. They'd need some knowledge of English Pokémon names anyway in order to add them as encounters or trainer Pokémon, and if nothing else they can have a quick look into pokemon.txt to find the internal name of the species they want.

No i am talking about people from different countries. Whether they can speak English or not is not important. The important point is that there are 649 different Pokemon names for each language but the numbers are international. ;)
And wouldn't renaming the Pokemon images to their English names make it harder to translate the game to another language?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
That's what I meant. It's still not difficult to look in pokemon.txt if you know its number.

The internal names of things aren't translated. Bulbasaur's internal name will always be BULBASAUR, even if the species is renamed to Fushigidane (unless you start fiddling with internal names, of course). Maybe it'll be a bit more confusing if you're mainly working in the non-English language, but again, it's easy to look up things.

Back