• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is better: Free or not free

Years
    Free or not free that is the question...

Nowadays in Rom Hacking ,there are just some programs which are free because the creators like do this not free in general. The creators think that it's difficult to create a software and not want a person to steal their program or modify.

But with the licence GNU GPL, we can create a software with Copyleft ;) .

For example there are:
    -Firefox
    -VLC Media player
    -The Gimp

It's the most popular free softwares on windows dut on linux there are not the most performant I think (because i'm on linux).

In rom hacking there are the softwares of Hack Mew who the sources are free but it's VB language and it's not multios...

Systems free:
    Gnu/Linux
    Open BSD/Free BSD/NetBSD
    Open Solaris

System not free:
    Mac
    Windows

And you, you prefer free or not free, what is the solution?

羨望

のトレーナー
    Years
    It all depends on What kind Software and What they Prefer.

For me I'll Go Free all the way if I can.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I prefer freeware, myself. To me, a company that makes free software is trying to actually be of honest use to people without it being for the sake of commercial gain.

Years
    Me I think all the softwares/freewares must be free because with a free software you can modify all the source and with a private software you can't do that. And the software who are not free are often profitable...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Open source is no use to me though... So I'm not bothered if a program is or isn't.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    As long as it works well, then I'll take it over a costly program any day. Although it does seem like that if it is a company that you buy the program from, then it most likely will be of better quality because the better there product is, the more people buy it and the more money they make. Sure there are the rare and few programs like GIMP, Firefox, etc., that are free and are great, but the vast majority of free software is crap.

So yeah, if the free program is better than one that I would have to pay a lot of money for, I'll take it, but otherwise I'm not going to be cheap for the sake of being cheap.

Years
    I do have problems with software like Adobe stuff which is just stupid amounts of money really. I just use preference.

I use Photoshop over GIMP. PS has more support and a much easier UI for me.
    Firefox...then again there aint any premium web browsers. I wander how the hell mozilla run without any funds from users or any other recognisable source.
    ATM i's enjoying using Blender over 3DS MAX, however i think they are just as good as each other.

I also like companies that make good commercial software that's cheap and offer a free version that isn't just a demo, ie with Game Maker and Terragen.

On the OS side i support Windows and all Linuxes,not Apple. For Apple OS you have to have a specific Apple machine which isn't bad, but a limitation in one way.

Years
    Emmm... And is really hard find crack to nonfree software? :D I not paid anything for soft and OS on my PC, so, I say "I prefer non free :D"

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    The only Free Operating System that I like is Solaris10/OpenSolaris, the graphics are nice and its easy to use. I've tried Ubuntu and straight up Linux, but they never held my attention for very long.

As far as "Not Free" Software, I'm a big Apple supporter, and I've also dabbled around with RedHat.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    The only Free Operating System that I like is Solaris10/OpenSolaris, the graphics are nice and its easy to use. I've tried Ubuntu and straight up Linux, but they never held my attention for very long.

As far as "Not Free" Software, I'm a big Apple supporter, and I've also dabbled around with RedHat.

Ubuntu was built on RedHat..

Anyway, I mostly run Freeware on my XP install. Windows just does too much for me to want to use an inferior operating system for my own needs. Linux for example would probably be okay for a laptop for myself as there's no gaming or huge quantities of data on a laptop that I'd use.

j_

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2008
    Ubuntu was built on RedHat..

Anyway, I mostly run Freeware on my XP install. Windows just does too much for me to want to use an inferior operating system for my own needs. Linux for example would probably be okay for a laptop for myself as there's no gaming or huge quantities of data on a laptop that I'd use.

Correction good sir, Ubuntu is based on Debian! :)

Incidently, I use Ubuntu on both my laptop and my desktop. It's great, no more annoying windows. (I do have to run MS Office unfortunately due to college, however!)

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    well I prefer Mac as my main system, and I like Linux over windows myself, I have to say the only real problem I have (being that coding and doing sudo commands is very confusing and irritating for me) is the install and uninstall aspects of linux. while it's still loads beter than spreading files all over and writing to an ever increasing registry in windows, it's still confusing as heck for me.
    as for freeware programs I'm all for stuff like openoffice (neooffice) and gimp when I can't afford other stuff. I still use NeoOffice as my main office suite because I can't afford anything else. It works flawlessly and is a lot easier to navigate than office 2007.
    I will say that I am trying out new variations on linux, currently I'm getting ready to try out VideoLinux and DreamLinux in virtual machines.

Eureka1

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    As J said, Ubuntu was built upon Debian.
    Seriously, why would you even compare Redhat to Ubuntu? They're not even in the same league -_-;

My bad, perhaps it was Fedora that was based loosely on the last build of Red Hat?

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    With the growing rate of .torrent files and the hacking and cracks of various software, most people who have Photoshop did not buy it. The reason? It's WAY too expensive.

I tried GIMP and I enjoyed it for a while...until I got Photoshop, then I ditched GIMP and started using Photoshop for everyday reasons.

Firefox, I still prefer over every other browser and It is one of the "free software" that's actually better then its paid counterparts. In my opinion of course.

Linux I flat out hated. XD

Most Freeware is indeed...crap. The paid programs are too expensive for what they are worth. So is there a legal solution?

Eureka1

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Most Freeware is indeed...crap.

Tell that to my uTorrent, CCleaner, foobar2000, Foxit Reader, HWMonitor, ImgBurn, JkDefrag, Media Player Classic, mIRC and Windows Live Messenger. Not to mention a ton of other freeware that I don't use.

Years
    Ok one thing: Things that come at a cost will give more in return, yeah but there is alot of quality and safe (virus/spyware free) freeware!
    And the operating system depends on the user, I like Ubuntu, its perfect for me because I dont do computer games on my computer and I use my windows laptop for Ms Office for school and work.

Zet

Years
    Ok one thing: Things that come at a cost will give more in return, yeah but there is alot of quality and safe (virus/spyware free) freeware!.
    not true, some free anti viruses do a better job then some anti viruses that you have to pay for and let alone programs as well, why buy a program that can delete your cookies etc when CCleaner does it for free and does a good job of it?

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I use a mix of both. In the end, I like what works. If I must pay for it, I will, if I can get it free, I will. Often times I might even use BOTH. (I am starting to use Open Office, but next computer upgrade, I'm still getting MS Office :P).

In the end, I try to get free software as often as I can, if it works. But I have no problem paying money, even a lot of money, for software. This includes the imfamous Adobe Products. Remember, it's PROFESSIONAL markets that they're aiming at, and thus it costs money. Also, though some companies get too much money, they still have to put out money to do their jobs!

Moving on,

The one major point with my use of software, is if it's commercial, I actually PAY for it. I'm not like some people around who would steal it....

Final thoughts:

Free: I like it, and I will use it whenever I can, if it works.
    Not Free: I will just as often buy software as use free, and use it if it works. And I buy it authentically.

Mooshykris

Back