• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] What is the best and most reliable Fire Red rombase?

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    What is the best Fire Red rombase to use that has most of the modern features and Pokemon and is a little stable? Almost every Fire Red rombase that I used usually ends up having errors sprouting up whether they be having the program crash when selecting a certain Pokemon, having open slots that are only usable by G3HS, or it just won't work at all.

I pray to God for a disassembly of Fire Red so that the experience of rom hacking will be 10x less painful!

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • That would be Pokemon Gaia. People tend to forget that Spherical Ice was kind enough to make it a public resource for others to use.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    That would be Pokemon Gaia. People tend to forget that Spherical Ice was kind enough to make it a public resource for others to use.

Wait a minute. You're saying that one can patch a Fire Red rom with Gaia and use it to their own ends?

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    That would be Pokemon Gaia. People tend to forget that Spherical Ice was kind enough to make it a public resource for others to use.

Wait that's actually a resource? Could you link me where it is? I can't seem to find it, it's not in Gaia's OP.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Wait a minute. You're saying that one can patch a Fire Red rom with Gaia and use it to their own ends?

Wait that's actually a resource? Could you link me where it is? I can't seem to find it, it's not in Gaia's OP.

It's a ROM hack which the creator has allowed for public use so yes, you can use it for your own hacks. The patch would be in the first post under the downloads section.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    It's a ROM hack which the creator has allowed for public use so yes, you can use it for your own hacks. The patch would be in the first post under the downloads section.

Oh I see now, but I'm sure the offsets and tables would've been moved all over the place and finding them would be a pain. My planned hack will have Fakemon, new types, abilities, etc. so I need to know where they are. Did Spherical document them somewhere?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Oh I see now, but I'm sure the offsets and tables would've been moved all over the place and finding them would be a pain. My planned hack will have Fakemon, new types, abilities, etc. so I need to know where they are. Did Spherical document them somewhere?

I don't know, but you can easily check where these things are by checking where he's repointed things to.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    I took a look at it, but without a greater grasp on hacking (not to mention not knowing what offsets have been used) it's useless for a beginner I would think. Still nice of Spherical Ice to do though. It is a very pretty hack.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    I don't know, but you can easily check where these things are by checking where he's repointed things to.

How do I check where he's repointed things to? I know I can find where certain sprites are located with a program but I don't know how to find the Pokemon data, which is the most important to my project.

I'm sorry for asking all of these questions, I'm still quite new to romhacking.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • How do I check where he's repointed things to? I know I can find where certain sprites are located with a program but I don't know how to find the Pokemon data, which is the most important to my project.

I'm sorry for asking all of these questions, I'm still quite new to romhacking.

So in a clean FR ROM you look for the address of the original table yourself in a hex editor. Take note of where it is referenced. Then you open Gaia and go to that reference address, and the location of the repointed table will be written there instead of the old table. That's what repointing does, you change a pointer to point to something else :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    So in a clean FR ROM you look for the address of the original table yourself in a hex editor. Take note of where it is referenced. Then you open Gaia and go to that reference address, and the location of the repointed table will be written there instead of the old table. That's what repointing does, you change a pointer to point to something else :)

I don't know what anything is though. I go to 0x254784 which is the Pokemon's base stats and I go into XSE with a Gaia ROM and all I get are 0000s. How do I find out what does what? Do I open the game while doing this and edit it and see what breaks and that's how I know what things are?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I don't know what anything is though. I go to 0x254784 which is the Pokemon's base stats and I go into XSE with a Gaia ROM and all I get are 0000s. How do I find out what does what? Do I open the game while doing this and edit it and see what breaks and that's how I know what things are?

You need to read a tutorial on repointing mate. After you figure that out, you can actually understand the instructions I've given you. For example, XSE is not a hex editor :)

Back