• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is there to know when designing a tileset?

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012
    I'm at the point where there are just so many things I want to add, I may just make all of my hack's tiles from scratch. What is there to know?

I believe I heard that there are a total of 13 palettes, but I've only confirmed this on FR - what about other versions? Is it wise to totally replace all the palettes? What colors would be safe to stick with? Etc..

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    FR has 13 palettes. The first seven (0-6) apply to the first tileset. The remaining six apply to the second tileset. How you change the palettes and tilesets is up to you. You say that you have a lot of things to add, so you'll have to use tileset space sparingly in order to fit everything you want in.

M.L

Invisible
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2017
    Ahh well yes replace them all why bot, i replaced pallete 12 of ruby and my tiles glitch so im unable to use that pallete anymore but yea go buts xD

Speedster

The Unknown
    Years
  • There isn't to much to know:
    -Make the tileset neat
    -Have nice flowing colors
    -Use only tiles that you can use in many different situations
    -Don't include tiles in your main tileset that would be better for a secondary tileset

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2019
    Keep the perspective of your tiles consistent with one another and with the OWs; otherwise, things will end up looking flat. For example, RSE's perspective is less aerial than FR's. If you import RSE tiles or OWs into FR, they stand out and look very flat.

Years
  • It doesn't really matter what color it is as long as it is in any of the pallets. But only use one palet for every 64x64 pixel area.

The big thing a the ennd is that it looks good though

Back