• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is wrong with next destinies pulls?!

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2012
    I've opened 10 packs and not had a single holo or ex - just normal rares..
    Is this normal?
    So frustrating not to get even one holo after spending that much money.

Professor_Jiro

New Authority
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. If it did, you're amazingly unlucky or you should start buying them somewhere else.

Let me tell you. My friend got 4 different ex over the last past few boosters, and I've gotten Sh*t. Yeah, through more boosters than he's even bought I got the 3 legendary birds, but thats about it. And we always buy at the same time. So... it's crazy unfair luck that he got all those ex and i didnt even get one.

It's just the luck of the draw. You get sucky packs then, well, keep going till you get something, or stop and just buy singles to conserve money. THough you probably dont wanna buy ex singles. lol

Years
  • I would suggest visiting a hobby shop and buying packs there, or buying those promotional boxes like the Mewtwo one and the various tins if you want to "guarantee" a foil rare card.

It's just a run of poor luck on boosters, most likely, but The Pokemon Company, Inc. tends to distribute packs so that packs sold at hobby shops have a higher special rare rate than at big box retailers like Wal-Mart or Target. This is so they can help keep these businesses in business, as these places often host official Pokemon Leagues and official Play!Pokemon tournaments. So, as I said above, try boosters from a hobby shop.

I've had horrid stretches of luck, myself, getting the same rare 4 times in 10 straight boosters of HeartGold SoulSilver. That rare happened to be Sandslash, and Sunflora was another one I kept getting. I actually have 8 each of both of those, if my memory serves.

Basically, either keep trying the boosters or seek them out individually online or in trades.

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
    Years
  • Adding on to what donavannj said, most hobby shops will sell their packs from booster boxes (each containing 36 packs). Each booster box is guaranteed a certain ratio of holos and super rares. For Next Destinies, there are 12 holos in each box, with two being replaced by normal EX's, one being replaced with a full art EX, and a Shiny taking the place of a normal holo every third box or so.

Buying packs from places such as Wal-Mart or Target or via special promo packages will be totally random, as there are no guarantees of pulling anything good.

Hopefully this helps.

Years
  • A total of 3 ex per box? That's a horrible chance.

That's actually a pretty good return rate when you consider that you usually save around $50 when you buy a box instead of buying 36 individual packs, and that EX cards are reliably fetching at least $10 apiece. And that doesn't include the regular rares and holos that fetch just as much if not more. You're buying to collect and play, not to turn a profit.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2012
    In the prerelease, I never got any EXs at all.. So I guess the booster box factor affects the way you get cards. But the count of EXs is only 3? I think the average is supposed to be around 5-6 EXs, with the exception of Mewtwo EX since he's pretty popular right now.

Years
  • In the prerelease, I never got any EXs at all.. So I guess the booster box factor affects the way you get cards. But the count of EXs is only 3? I think the average is supposed to be around 5-6 EXs, with the exception of Mewtwo EX since he's pretty popular right now.

Raikou Trainer knows the odds of pack pulls quite well. He probably got the information from something TPCi posted on one of their sites. It is only three EX cards per booster box. The number of each rare you get from the rare slot in each pack is as follows, at least from what I understood Raikou Trainer to mean:

24 normal rares (as in, non-holo and non-reverse holo)
    9 non-EX holo rares
    2 normal EX cards
    1 full art EX

And then 36 reverse holos of varying rarity.

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
    Years
  • Raikou Trainer knows the odds of pack pulls quite well. He probably got the information from something TPCi posted on one of their sites.
    To my knowledge, TPCi has never officially released any kind of info regarding pull rates. The info I posted here for Next Destinies mainly came from four boxes I've personally opened at the time I posted, although the Pokegym was where I found the odds of pulling a Shiny (1 in 3 boxes).

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    There is no official pull-rate, but it's been well established that it is very difficult to get ex's in this set, so the rate is definitely very low. Prereleases are a good way to gauge, and from what I've seen, only a handful of people in each got the really rare stuff, even though several boxes were opened. I would advise getting a booster box to guarantee getting at least a few good things, or buying singles. Booster packs are going to be a waste of money with this set.

Years
  • My bro purchased a box and pulled a full holo Mewtwo EX as well as Shaymin and Reshiram EX. Combining that with all the other good rare cards, he easily profited off that box. I would recommend buying a booster box of this set but that's solely based on how good the box my bro got was.

Years
  • I have actually bought a Next Destinies Box around 100$ to 120$ and I actually very much Profited off the Box pulling 1 Shaymin EX, 1 Mewtwo EX, and 1 Regigigas Full Art EX. As well as alot of rares and holos alongside reveres I suggest getting it for card purposes and for how much you save.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Ha well, I took my own advice today and bought a box. It was $113, and indeed there were three ex's, one being full-art, as the established odds suggested. However... no mewtwo!!! I thought this was my only chance to get one (seeing as I couldn't stand to spend so much on a single card), but alas. The ex's were regigigas, which seems to be the most common so far, zekrom, and the full art was also zekrom. So yeah, even with a booster box the odds of getting the best stuff doesn't seem spectacular. I have yet to see anyone pull a shining card from a booster as well.

LAF

:D
    Years
  • I pulled a Shiny Hydreigon at the prerelease, and a friend of mine got a Shiny Emboar from her box (came out of the same case as my two). In my first box I got Reshi EX, Kyurem EX, and Shaymin FA. Second box, Reshi EX, Mewtwo EX, and Kyurem FA.

However, I think the most common EX is Shaymin EX. We had at two pulled at both prereleases I went to, and I've had two mates pull them from the same case as my two came from.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Interesting, shaymin is probably the second most common around here. So weird how it changes from place to place. The full art shaymin even seems to be more common than the regular, did you find that as well?

Feralig8r

Adventurer
    Years
  • I bought my first 3 packs of that set and pulled a full art Mewtwo ex, lol. I almost screamed.

However, the good rare cards in that set are INCREDIBLY hard to come by. In an unopened box, there are about 1-3 ex cards, more often 1 than 3. The ex's (at least on my end) tend toward the outer edges of the box, so it's all about timing. If the person before you bought a pack and pulled an ex or a full art, chances are you probably won't :/ Always be nosy with that!

Back