• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what is your best antivirus

What AntiVirus do you use?

• Norton AntiVirus

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • NOD32 ( windows xp built in )

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • mcaffee

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • kapersky

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • panda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • zonealarm

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • AVG

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Norman AV

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • bit defender

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Ahh, I HATE Antivirus software, I just use Windows XP SP2 Firewall.

But most of the time I get viruses when I get my illegalness stuff, ahh theres always something to stop you from getting something for free.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Pretty sure that firewall and antivirus are not so the same... and that you need both of them. The window default one, even for a mega computer noob like me, is pretty inadequate for all of your needs... best to get an antivirus regardless of how annoying they are (especially for online games), and another firewall on top of it to be on the safe side.

Sometimes I use the trend micro one on top of Avast for double scan (not at the same time of course) just for the reassurance factor...

Years
    I never found an antivirus program that I liked while I was using Windows. they all seemed either bloated (Norton) or kind of janky (most of the free ones). So you're on your own there. XD;

A software firewall really isn't necessary—it's just nice. If you have a NAT router (and almost everyone does these days. If you don't have one, you need one) you already have inbound protection. The only thing a software firewall does is provide you with outbound protection. That is, if you already have a virus or trojan on your computer, it'll potentially stop it from sending things like your keystrokes or spam from your computer.

The thing is, all the software firewall can do is alert you that a program—any program, even a safe one like your browser or IM app—is trying to access the internet. If you just mindlessly click "OK" to every application that asks for permission, you're likely allowing the virus access, which defeats the purpose.

That said, be sure that your router doesn't have UPnP enabled, or a bunch of holes opened up through port forwarding. A good way to test that is Shields Up!

The conventional wisdom for all of this is that, once you've gotten a virus of any kind, you're pretty much compromised and should reinstall Windows. Spyware in particular has gotten so malicious that it's almost impossible to get rid of it any other way. If you keep scripting off in your browser, don't go around to "weird" sites, and don't randomly download stuff, you'll probably be fine. Maybe.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    I never found an antivirus program that I liked while I was using Windows. they all seemed either bloated (Norton) or kind of janky (most of the free ones). So you're on your own there. XD;

A software firewall really isn't necessary—it's just nice. If you have a NAT router (and almost everyone does these days. If you don't have one, you need one) you already have inbound protection. The only thing a software firewall does is provide you with outbound protection. That is, if you already have a virus or trojan on your computer, it'll potentially stop it from sending things like your keystrokes or spam from your computer.

The thing is, all the software firewall can do is alert you that a program—any program, even a safe one like your browser or IM app—is trying to access the internet. If you just mindlessly click "OK" to every application that asks for permission, you're likely allowing the virus access, which defeats the purpose.

That said, be sure that your router doesn't have UPnP enabled, or a bunch of holes opened up through port forwarding. A good way to test that is Shields Up!

The conventional wisdom for all of this is that, once you've gotten a virus of any kind, you're pretty much compromised and should reinstall Windows. Spyware in particular has gotten so malicious that it's almost impossible to get rid of it any other way. If you keep scripting off in your browser, don't go around to "weird" sites, and don't randomly download stuff, you'll probably be fine. Maybe.

Translation:

What you don't know can't hurt you.

If you don't know what you're doing, then you're screwed either way but at least you don't know that you're screwed, so you'll be blissfully happy.

If you know what you're doing, you don't need to read this post to begin with. You'll know how to deal with this so you'll be blissfully happy.

Conclusion: with or without a firewall, everyone is blissfully happy.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014

Well, there the only to statements I have a problem with, the thing is a firewall blocks anything from getting to your computer and out of your computer if you give permission, like you stated, and whenever Windows does give me a message, which get really annoying, I make sure I know what program it is, otherwise I go hunt down the process in the task manager search for that process using search and deleting it, Mwahaha no virus can escape me, although I only do this because I know what I'm doing, if you don't know stick with anti virus.

But mainly i stress the only reason I stick with my firewalls (I remembered i have 2) is because of two reasons,
    1.) I can't be bothered waiting for those regular routine checks of viruses

2.) I heard a rumour, that antivirus software makers actually make viruses send them out and if you get this certain virus the program says, "Your version of Norton cannot delete this virus, please update your version" which will cost you some cash.

But then again I could also be paranoid...

Years
    The notion that antivirus companies create viruses for that purpose is pretty ludicrous—it'd destroy their business. oo;

As for the firewall, you may be willing to hunt down the task and find out what it belongs to, but computer-illiterate users (or even a lot of more advanced users) simply aren't going to do that. Thus, it's only useful to a select group of people who feel as though they need total control over their connection—which is fine, but rare.

Just having a firewall isn't sufficient, though. Even if you're preventing viruses from phoning home and trying to track down their processes, there's no guarantee that you're going to be able to eliminate them. Not to mention that the viruses won't even come to your attention unless they do trip on your firewall. And don't get me started on rootkits. (Which, to be fair, an AV won't find either, but there are varying degrees of methods to find them)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I used the whole Norton Internet Security suite for a while. My goodness did that ever 'cause me problems. The program itself was sluggish, it would bring my whole system down, computer startup was unbareable, and it would block strange things. For a while I was unable to use the drop down menus here at PC - kind of important if you're a mod.

For...at least a year and half now, I think I've ditched it. I now have a router, so that plus the default (well, not so default. I think it comes with an update) Windows Defender is more than enough for me. As far as anti-virus goes. I ditched Norton for that too. AVGFree is just fine. Regularly updated, free, quick, and alerts me right away. It'll scan my downloads and transfers from MSN too.

For Spyware, I think it's good to use two. I use Ad-Aware and Windows Defender. Ad-Aware comes with Ad-Watch which is kind of sluggish, so I've turned that off. Defender has a watch program anyway, so why run two at once? I always have Defender running, and then I use Ad-Aware when I'm doing a cleaning. The two pick up what the other one missed.

EDIT: Oh Abby, you linked to GRC. I love that site. I've used so many of those apps.

Years
    Steve Gibson (the guy who runs GRC) does a weekly podcast with Leo Laporte. That's how I know about a lot of this stuff. XD; He does a really good job of making some of the most complex stuff understandable. So definitely a good site ♥

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Yeah. I first saw him when used to watch Call for Help. He was dubbed the man who discovered spyware. I briefly subscribed to that podcast (and others of Leo), and then I realized that'd I'd never actually get around to listening or watching. XD

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
    Years
    well, my norton subscription ran out, and im not paying for it to get renewed >_>

i use clamwin antivirus. it might not be good, but it is still an antivirus isnt it? better than nothing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I use AVG, or did use until it expired. I'm carefully trying to get away with not using an antivirus for the while.

Malice.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    avast and ZoneAlarm. I've been clean ever since.
    Used to use Norton, lagged me like hell. Long start-ups, and decreased performance overall. I don't know why, though. o.o

Years
    avast and ZoneAlarm. I've been clean ever since.
    Used to use Norton, lagged me like hell. Long start-ups, and decreased performance overall. I don't know why, though. o.o

That's Norton in a nutshell, sadly. Their security products have just become so bloated and intrusive that they're a plague to Windows now. Locking them out is probably Patchguard's greatest benefit. XD;

Malice.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    Yup. XD I still feel sorry for Daddy still using Norton. He does a lot of twiddling his thumbs in the morning, waiting. XD I offered to get rid of Norton for him and replace it with what I have, which is just as protective and doesn't kill at start-up, but he didn't want me to. o.o

Years
    I thought I might mention this for any Windows users: eEye—the company that alerted Microsoft of that ANI flaw that they just patched—has a free security solution with a free one-year antivirus subscription. I haven't used it personally, but I've heard a lot of good things about it from some trusted sources. And they advertise their lack of bloat—bloat being, of course, what makes Norton so awful. If you don't like what you're using for security now, you might want to check it out. Blink

Years
    I'd disagree with Zonealarm—it does some very strange things to Windows nowdays. It feels a little too bloated and intrusive.

Back