• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What kind of starter did you like and did you play in the game?

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2009
    My favorite is Piplup
    Best: Empoleon

In the game: Turtwig
    A little bit best: Torterra

(The reason that my favorite pokemon is Empoleon:
    When i read Neoseeker.com, a person said that you can defeat the pokemon
    league EVERYTIME!!! BETTER TO DEFEAT THE CHAMPION!!!

The reason that i play in the game is Torterra:
    One website I saw is the stats of the pokemon!
    They said Torterra's ATK Stat is 140!!! STRONG!!
    And Empoleon....84.. Weakling.)

(UNTIL I'M GOING TO START ALL OVER AGAIN!!!THE FINISH TO THE START!!)

I'm talking about Pokemon Platinum.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    I always go solo for the first two gyms, so naturally, to defeat Gardenia and Roark, Chimchar was out of the question against Roark, as was Piplup against Gardenia, so naturally I chose Turtwig!

glaceonatcef

Eon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I almost always pick the water starter- the only time I don't is in G/S/C, because I adore Quilava. She's helped me a lot in Crystal too ^^

But for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (I have all three, I got Pearl and Platinum myself but my brother had Diamond and he got mad and threw it at me and told me I could have it because he was sick of it because he got stuck in Iron Island) I picked Piplup.

Years
    Turtwig is absolutely my favorite starter in the fourth generation.
    I picked him in Diamond, I dunno why, I guess a friend told me he would be best. Later I also chose him in Pearl.
    In Platinum I picked Piplup....but this is pretty weak and I don't like it at all.
    Id go with Turtwig all the time.

Divine~Deoxys

I chose Piplup in diamond coz its a penguin and therefore the coolest.

I always go solo for the first two gyms, so naturally, to defeat Gardenia and Roark, Chimchar was out of the question against Roark, as was Piplup against Gardenia, so naturally I chose Turtwig!

But in Plat, i chose Chimchar, and dude, you have no idea what you're on about, all you have to do is evolve it into monferno to beat roark

harig07

Pokemon & SSBB newbie, YGO Pro
    Years
    I knew the minute I saw Chimchar that he was the best...which he still is. Infernape sizzles the pants off Empoleon and Torterra. He can take out 2-3 Pokemon before his eventual (but inevitable) demise. Chimchar makes the best use of Grass Knot out of the three starters. So many reasons why Chimchar is the best. Also Chimchar is the embodiment of my motto, "Hit Fast, Hit Hard"

HirakuNoShadow

Au contraire mon frère.
    Years
    At first I chose Piplup because it looked cute + its evolutions looked cool

But I would've chosen Chimchar if only it didn't look so bad in its first 2 evolutions.

Druid

she's not anyone...
    Years
    I choose the water starter out of habit now, since I always have. (except for G/S/C) Although when I first got Pearl I used Turtwig, but then I couldn't find the third gym, so I restarted with Piplup. But in my DIamond, I actually dropped Prinplup as soon as I got to the Daycare city. :P

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I chose turtwig, because turtles are awesome...except for squirtle. Besides, I have a bias towards grass pokemon, since they can make the hard parts of the game(beginning) much easier.

WolowizarD

We're on a mission from God
    Years
    In Pearl I chose Piplup, because water-type are my favourite, but I didn't like Prinplup and Empoleon, so, in Platinum I picked Turtwig. (I doesn't like monkeys like Chimchar >.<)

Years
    I chose Turtwig although I normally choose the Fire-type Pokemon in the games for my starters. He's proven to be very good for the first three Gyms. And I'm looking forward to using my Grotle for the Fighting Gym.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    red: squirtle
    blue:squiertle
    yelow:pikachu FTW~~o'_'o
    silver :totodile
    ruby:mudkip
    pearl:piplup
    platnium: squirtle

????
    Squirtle in Platinum???

Pikapeekatchu could have easily traded a Squirtle from Pearl to Platinum and that is how he got his starter to be Squirtle. Of course he might've deposited his first Sinnoh starter away first as before he can trade, he has to pick a sinnoh starter.

Anyways, my favorite starter in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum would be Piplup and its evolutions. My best starter in those games would still be Piplup and its evolutions as the only other starter I chose in the 4th generation games was Chimchar, but my Piplup stood out the most.

Hassamu

Beamin'
    Years
    I picked Chimchar as I've always picked the Fire type as my starter (except for Gold where I picked Totodile).
    Chimchar has to be the best starter though IMO due to the lack of other Fire Pokemon available before the Elite Four on this game.

scyfer

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    none of them are all that great, ive trained all of them, but my first was turtwig, and i guess i prefer her.

Back