• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: What makes old fans return to the games?

Years
  • Nostalgia. I don't like to use the word "pandering" as it carries too many negative implications, but think of it this way:
    - Gen 4, we got HGSS. It had everything good about Platinum, as well as a fully-realised Kanto and Johto. Jump from this to Gen 5, where they couldn't have tried harder to pull away from established continuity. A lot of people didn't like the approach. B2W2 made up for it a bit with the World Tournament, but even that wasn't quite enough nostalgia "pandering".

- Jump to Gen 6. The leap to 3D. The first towns/cities and Santalune Forest couldn't have been more geared to capture the traditional feeling of the games; Santalune Forest is literally Viridian Forest in 3D. You get to choose a Kanto Starter just one badge into the game, and a whole bunch of Kanto Pokémon got Mega Evolutions; favourites like Charizard and Mewtwo even got TWO Mega Evolutions.

From Gen 6 on the nostalgia-pandering hasn't been quite so blatant - not to overlook Let's Go, which are literally "Hey old fans, play this with your kids!" - but it's still there. Mostly-Kanto Pokémon receiving Alolan forms and special Z-Moves, the Kanto starters receiving G-Max forms, and the Kanto starters/Mewtwo getting severe model-updates in SV compared to other Pokemon…
    It's little things like that. The games don't suffer from touches like this, and still manage to maintain their own identities, but there's usually going to be a hearty number of Kanto Pokemon in the games to keep the oldest fans engaged if possible, at a bare minimum.

Dally-Ogami

Well-fed Snorlax ✨
    Days
  • I think Pokemon Home is a game changer. The ability to have my partners from older games join me in the new ones is *chefs-kiss*. I also enjoy the mini-games!!

Back