• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What Next Pokemon Should Get an Evo?

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Smarties-kun said:
    Heracross is already one of the most overused Pokémon in today's metagame, why give it an even stronger evolution? That would make it uber.

Smarties, let me tell you an unfortunate little secret about me. I play the Pokemon games for fun and nothing else. I don't aspire to train my pokemon to level 100, or even play online versus other people. Heck, I don't even know the perfect moves to give my pokemon! XD I have no idea which pokemon are overused by the populace, or even which ones are already considered "uber" or "powerhouses" (though I have learned some of them). When I talk about things that should get evolutions, I go off of what would look neat to me, and pokemon I like that don't have evolutions. I'm trying to learn some more things about the games since I'm trying to talk in these forums more often, but it's a lot to take in all at once! ^^; So to answer your question as to why I'd give Heracross an evo: because I'm a n00b when it comes to stats. XDD

On a side note, I totally forgot about Sableye! It definitely needs an evolution! And I guess Scyther could get another, but... eh, even though Scizor's ugly it always seemed enough. *shrug*

LonexWolf

Rated R Superstar
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2007
    aragornbird said:
    ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

The only Pokémon that should get pre-evos are Kangaskhan and a calf that evolves into either Tauros or Miltank. There's really no point in any other pre-evo seeing as they are a waste of game data and useless in battle.

Totally agreeing with the need for a Farfetch'd and Murkrow evo. =)

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

I think the calf evolution could branch into a Tauros at night, and Miltank turning the day.

Lil-Dill

I need to change that ^
    Years
    Good idea LonexWolf! But i think lapras reallyneeds a prevo! imagine that a small lapras but a lil bit cute-er and wif out the shell:)

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2006
    I agree, Sableye needs an evolution. It's too cool for such low stats. :/

Frankly though, I'm not too keen on new evos and preevos (especially not preevos... please, so very little use...). Call me a purist, heh. XD It never made sense to me how they would suddenly discover a new evolution/pre-evolution for an old Pokemon. With all the trainers who owned that Pokemon, wouldn't someone have figured out their whole evolution chain prior to a new game coming on the market? :P This has nothing to do with games, though, just my idea of logic kicking in. Of course there'll be new evolutions and pre-evolutions, as it's too much of a tradition to get rid of, but if I had my way I'd have all new Pokemon.

Smarties, let me tell you an unfortunate little secret about me. I play the Pokemon games for fun and nothing else.
    Ditto, I love Pokemon but I'm kind of clueless about EV's and I don't spend hours training my Pokemon to level 100. XD

Years
    I don't think some of thepokemon that have been put forward need prevo's, like Meowth, there would be no point to it! I think the pokemon that only have one form should have evos! But i don't think Absol should have one, its attack would be really high! Might be a bit to strong!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Aquanut said:
    Ditto, I love Pokemon but I'm kind of clueless about EV's and I don't spend hours training my Pokemon to level 100. XD
    That is typically what separates two types of people who follow Pokemon. The first type are those that more closely identify with the cartoon. They want cute Pokes with cute names, prefer the Pokes on the game to talk like they do on the cartoon (continuous repeating their name over and over), and would rather prevent their Pokes from evolving since they usually consider evolved forms uglier than their pre-evolved counterparts. The other type typically disregard the cartoon as childish and something that only ruins the game. They want strong Pokes with original names, preferring their Pokes to have cries instead of talking, and typically evolve their Pokes to take advantage of the higher stats and larger movepool. The second type of people also take advantage breeding for IVs and EV training to make their Pokes even better.

As for evos and pre-evos, I agree that while some Pokes definitely need an evo to help balance them out (i.e. Murkrow, Farfetch'd, Sableye, etc.), pre-evos serve very little purpose. Take Snorlax for example. One of the best Pokes in the game hasn't had a pre-evo for three generations now. There is no real purpose in Munchlax other than marketing to help make a few more bucks.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Tw1tch said:
    Why not a Fire duck? Throw that annoying Farfetch'd into a volcano and a Cinderfetch'd flies out, having no recollection of you trying to throw it into a volcano! That'd be kewl. or, throw that annoying Farfetch'd into a container filled with liquid nitrogen, turning it into Frostfetch'd.

............You are a horrible creature. I shall remember that.

shanecdavis said:
    That is typically what separates two types of people who follow Pokemon. The first type are those that more closely identify with the cartoon. They want cute Pokes with cute names, prefer the Pokes on the game to talk like they do on the cartoon (continuous repeating their name over and over), and would rather prevent their Pokes from evolving since they usually consider evolved forms uglier than their pre-evolved counterparts. The other type typically disregard the cartoon as childish and something that only ruins the game. They want strong Pokes with original names, preferring their Pokes to have cries instead of talking, and typically evolve their Pokes to take advantage of the higher stats and larger movepool. The second type of people also take advantage breeding for IVs and EV training to make their Pokes even better.

I guess I'm in the middle, then. I like the cartoons and use the Pokemon I like, regardless of them being fully evolved or not (they usually are), but train them to be as powerful as I need with movesets to match MY style. I also don't really use EV training (slightly due to lack of knowledge), but I DO use vitamins.

Moral of the story: Don't stereotype, because there will ALWAYS be exceptions.

But, anyway, back on topic, here's a dumb idea: what if they made a way for Arbok to REALLY evolve into Seviper?? LOL!!!!

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    well shane, you speak of those "two types of pokemon followers", but sure enough, im neither of them. i play the game, but watch the anime. i like cute pokemon, but i love when they evolve. i raise my pokemon in teams, but don't breed them or use them for other types of battling rather than the elite four. i figure out the stats and moves of pokemon by battling, but i have no idea even what "base stats" are. i give my pokemon nutrients when i can, but don't even bother to get them to level 100 just to test their stats... instead, when they get to level 50, i figure how good their stats are and level them up by playing the elite four. above all, i STOP using them when they can handle the elite four without fainting (around level 65-70). i experiment with codes so that they have the best moves they can know, but i don't memorize any. but maybe you're right about pre-evos and evos in seperate generations -- it might be all marketing. but the fact remains that a LOT of pokemon need to evolve, and pokemon that are fairly strong already need to become easier to catch in a pre-evo form.

heh, arbok into seviper? well, seviper does kick a lot of butt. meh, it's too good for arbok if you ask me.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That is why i prefaced my post with typically. Only a fool would try to force two absolutes in anything. Even alive and dead has a little gray area, doesn't it? LOL

At any rate, the Ekans -> Arbok -> Seviper isn't a bad idea at all. To be honest, when my sons first introduced me to RSE, that is what I assumed was the case.

I did a little research and here is a list of the crappiest fully evolved/single evolution Pokes (total base stats included) that could definitely benefit from an evolution:

Shedinja - 230
    Smeargle - 250
    Ditto - 288
    Luvdisc - 328
    Delibird - 330
    Farfetch'd - 352
    Aipom - 360
    Spinda - 360
    Nosepass - 375
    Corsola - 380
    Delcatty - 380
    Mawille - 380
    Sableye - 380

Now, when you consider that the FIRST EVOLUTION of all the starters in the game START at a base total of 309 (Charmander/Cyndaquil), with most first evos of two-evo Pokes coming in around 380-440, most of these Pokes are just begging for an evolution.

Shedinja, unfortunately, is a product of its Ability. Plus the fact that it is a spin-off of Ninjask. No real hope for this thing.

A Smeargle evo would be quite interesting. You could imagine that while Smeargle could copy moves, its evolution could possibly Sketch Abilities. Howsabout a Smeargle evo with Levitate? Wonder Guard? The possibilities are quite diverse.

Ditto, like Shedinja, is a product of its abilities. I cannot see how an evo would benefit in any way.

Luvdisc, beyond help.

Delibird though has some merit. It comes from a long list of crappy Johto Pokes, but could easily be improved.

PLEASE let Farfetch'd get an evo. Easily the coolest crappy Poke on the planet.

Just think about how an Aipom evo would even look, let alone the kind of twists that could be added to it.

Then there is Spinda. Kids, don't do drugs.

Nosepass, Corsola, and Delcatty could be done, but are pretty set.

Then there is Mawille and Sableye. Mawille is just begging for an evo. Being the only non-legendary mono Steel-type, it could be pretty powerful. Sableye is another no-brainer. Great typing, but GF apparently was too scared and made it too weak of a Poke to even take advantage of it. Give it an evo that still has mediocre Def, but is more of an offensive stalwart. Very big missed opportunity here.

There are others, but these are the weakest.

Samson

Years
    i definitely agree on all of that except delcatty. i don't know, maybe it was just great luck on my behalf, but my delcatty kicks butt. it almost seems quite random the various types of moves it can learn, but the moveset it learns on its own is very decent. i know you said it is "pretty set", but maybe great moves can sometimes compensate for a lack of stats. at least that might be the message GameFreak is intending to send.

Years
    You guys are forgetting pokemon like dunsparce yanma and quilfish i betcha half of you even forgot who those pokmeon were:P, yea gold/silver/crystal did a real good job of making a bunch of pokemon with crappy stats and with crappy moves, i think yanma would do real good with a pre-evo like a nymph that could learn water and ground attacks

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    i definitely agree on all of that except delcatty. i don't know, maybe it was just great luck on my behalf, but my delcatty kicks butt. it almost seems quite random the various types of moves it can learn, but the moveset it learns on its own is very decent. i know you said it is "pretty set", but maybe great moves can sometimes compensate for a lack of stats. at least that might be the message GameFreak is intending to send.
    Great post. That is also why I left off some of the higher total base stats Pokes like Medicham, Azumarill, and a few others. Their lower base stats are compensated by better movesets and Abilities. Yanma, Corsola, and Qwilfish would definitely make the list higher up, but my focus was on the crappiest Pokes in the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    That is why i prefaced my post with typically.

Except that that typically is referring to the condition, not that there are two types of fans.

And I don't think they could do anything with Qwilfish...except maybe make it bigger.

Samson

Years
    Sure they could Icha... EX: Acanthite have an evo for it (it's a little scary but it's awesome) so I'm sure there's a wide open gate for possibilities. But you could be right... a blowfish that stings is just a blowfish that stings. It's a neat idea and all, but what improvements would it have in another form revolving around the same poison-water moveset?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Except that that typically is referring to the condition, not that there are two types of fans.
    Actually the adverb typically describes something in a customary manner. You can replace it with the following synomyms, if you prefer: generally, commonly, usually.

Good point on Corsola.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Speaking of Corsola and Qwilfish, both of them can use Selfdestruct now thanks to XD.

My money's on an Aipom evolution. It has a nice movepool, now give it the stats to use it. Also more gorillas (my guess as to what Aipom would evolve into) are a good thing. Would pair up well with the fire starter's evo.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    shanecdavis, I know what it means. I was talking about what it says in the context:

shanecdavis said:
    That is typically what separates

In this case the typically refers to the same thing that that and what refer to, which is the line you quoted, not what you said.

Samson: Do you have a pic of the evolution?

Toothache: I guess an Aipom evolution must be in the works if
    Spoiler:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    LOL Icha, if you would like to further discuss the context of a word I used, please PM me. I am sorry if you took it differently than the way it was intended.

As for Aipom, I for one am hoping that it is true.

Back