• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What remake would you like to see next?

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
    Um... I'm pretty sure that everyone around here would like a Sinnoh remake at one time or the other, I mean, DPP was probably was arguably my favourite game of all time.

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
    I have really fond memories of DPP just because I was really into competitive battling at the time and battled through Wi-Fi every day. I think a Kanto remake would be more practical in the long run, though. FRLG ARE starting to become a bit obsolete, you have to admit.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I'd personally want a Gen 4 remake next, even though it'd feel so weird because I still think that 4th Gen is pretty new and stuff! I'm actually playing through Platinum right now and it feels perfectly fine to me. I wonder what it'd feel like playing Diamond/Pearl on 6th Gen... wow I can already feel the adrenaline!

But, then again you do have FireRed/LeafGreen. They are remakes, but as someone said somewhere above they're extremely outdated! The engines are completely different to the 3DS games. Plus the last time we saw Kanto was in 4th Gen, the same generation as Diamond/Pearl so you can't really complain about seeing it recently. If it did happen I'd be really happy and stuff. I love Kanto <3

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I have really fond memories of DPP just because I was really into competitive battling at the time and battled through Wi-Fi every day. I think a Kanto remake would be more practical in the long run, though. FRLG ARE starting to become a bit obsolete, you have to admit.

Exactly. As old as Diamond is, you can still play it on the newest handheld, and it also has a reasonably more up-to-date version in the form of Platinum. No, it doesn't have Fairies, Megas, or functioning wi-fi, but it still has a P/S Split, relatively modern movepools, a modern AI, and semi-3D graphics that have aged fairly well.

FireRed, on the other hand, has none of those things. In fact, it's even missing many features that GSC and RSE had, like a clock. The game's more than a decade old, and it looks and feels like it, even if it is a remake, itself.

No, this isn't to say that DPP won't eventually get their remakes, but they'll have to wait their turn. Older games take priority over newer ones, so RBY/FRLG is next in line, like it or not.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Most of you probably already know my answer to this one. Every Gen needs to be available on the 3DS before we can start remaking the ones that are. I'd rather not have GF pull a Zelda and remake a newer game before an older one that needs it more badly.

4th gen aren't exactly "available" on the 3DS. It's difficult to buy them new (and when you find a copy, they're more expensive than 3DS games), they no longer have online support, they aren't compatible with Pokémon Bank, the image of all DS games on the 3DS is stretched and blurred... They're "playable" on the 3DS, which is better than FRLG (which isn't), but they're most definitely not up to date with the rest of the series. Saying they're "available" on the 3DS is a bit of a fallacy.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    4th gen aren't exactly "available" on the 3DS. It's difficult to buy them new (and when you find a copy, they're more expensive than 3DS games), they no longer have online support, they aren't compatible with Pokémon Bank, the image of all DS games on the 3DS is stretched and blurred... They're "playable" on the 3DS, which is better than FRLG (which isn't), but they're most definitely not up to date with the rest of the series. Saying they're "available" on the 3DS is a bit of a fallacy.

You're just nitpicking over language. Gens 4 and 5 can be played on a 3DS, so they're available on it. No, they don't play as well as they did on a DSi with wi-fi still running, but they can still be played, which is all that matters to GF right now.

Think of how Gen 2 was during Gen 3. After FRLG came out, it was the only Gen left at the time that lacked 16 bit graphics, Abilities, and the revamped stat system (and a female PC in the case of GS), and it had zero connectivity with the newest games. So why didn't GF rush out GSC remakes for the GBA, then? Because, GSC could still be played on a GBA and still weren't all that hard to find (especially in the case of Crystal), so remaking them wasn't a large priority for GF at the time. It was only after the DS came out and GB/C compatibility was killed for good (thus rendering Gen 2 the only Gen unavailable on modern hardware) that GF finally gave it attention and brought it up to modern standards.

And, even now, DPP/HGSS/BW/B2W2 are still far more playable now than GSC were in the GBA era. Even Diamond can connect with the newest games, albeit indirectly, and none of them have cartridge batteries that will render them unplayable after a few years. And, they still have many things that people now take for granted, like the P/S Split and good movepools.

In short, don't expect to see any DS games get remade until the 3DS' successor comes out. (Which, based on past trends, will probably kill DS compatibility.) Seeing as Gen 7 is very likely to be on the New/3DS, if any remakes happen then, they will be of Gen 1 (the last pre-DS Gen), not Gen 4.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    considering sinnoh is one of my favorite regions and gen 4 has many of my favorite pokémon, i'd love to see a remake. i really want to see how it turns out in 3D!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    You're just nitpicking over language. Gens 4 and 5 can be played on a 3DS, so they're available on it. No, they don't play as well as they did on a DSi with wi-fi still running, but they can still be played, which is all that matters to GF right now.

Think of how Gen 2 was during Gen 3. After FRLG came out, it was the only Gen left at the time that lacked 16 bit graphics, Abilities, and the revamped stat system (and a female PC in the case of GS), and it had zero connectivity with the newest games. So why didn't GF rush out GSC remakes for the GBA, then? Because, GSC could still be played on a GBA and still weren't all that hard to find (especially in the case of Crystal), so remaking them wasn't a large priority for GF at the time. It was only after the DS came out and GB/C compatibility was killed for good (thus rendering Gen 2 the only Gen unavailable on modern hardware) that GF finally gave it attention and brought it up to modern standards.

And, even now, DPP/HGSS/BW/B2W2 are still far more playable now than GSC were in the GBA era. Even Diamond can connect with the newest games, albeit indirectly, and none of them have cartridge batteries that will render them unplayable after a few years. And, they still have many things that people now take for granted, like the P/S Split and good movepools.

In short, don't expect to see any DS games get remade until the 3DS' successor comes out. (Which, based on past trends, will probably kill DS compatibility.) Seeing as Gen 7 is very likely to be on the New/3DS, if any remakes happen then, they will be of Gen 1 (the last pre-DS Gen), not Gen 4.

You ignored most of my points. The thing is, 4th gen is outdated. DP came out nearly 9 years ago, that's a lot of time. While that doesn't warrant a remake in the foreseeable future, because for better or worse the New 3DS is retrocompatible with DS games, it doesn't avoid the fact those games will too be even more outdated in a few years.

Connectivity isn't an excuse. You can still transfer a Pokémon from FRLG all the way to 6th gen. However, you need old, sold out hardware for this. The problem is that you put DPPt and BW in the same basket when they're not. DPPt and HGSS aren't compatible with the PokéBank, that's a huge difference that renders those games obsolete and creates a technological rift between 4th and 6th gen.

It's true 4th gen isn't too far behind mechanics-wise, but Mega Evolution and Fairy-type arguably separated 6th gen enough that the old gens are no longer relevant mechanics-wise, not to mention the several tiny but important changes they did to how certain moves work, like making Electric-type Pokémon immune to Thunder Wave and Grass-type Pokémon immune to powder moves. 5th gen to 6th gen was a bigger change than 4th gen to 5th gen.

There's also the fact the 3DS does a bad job of displaying graphics from DS games. Have you tried to play a DS game on the 3DS? The tiny DS resolution is upscaled, which makes things blurry, and on top of that they apply antialiasing to make things even blurrier. You can play them at original resolution, but then you have to deal with a very small screen. Please don't pretend you get the intended experience of the Pokémon DS games on the 3DS, because you don't.

I don't think the 2nd gen/3rd gen relationship is a straight analogy. Of course GF couldn't remake GSC for the GBA, there was no time! Emerald came out after the DS was released. It made much more sense to develop 4th gen for the DS instead of another remake on the GBA. The GBA ended up having a very short lifespan for a console, when Nintendo realized the DS was really a successor to the GBA rather than a complement.

I believe the next game in the series will still be 6th gen, because of unexplored data found in XY, and will still be compatible with the old 3DS, maybe enhanced for New 3DS. I don't expect Kanto remakes to come until 7th gen, and by then Sinnoh will be old and obsolete enough that you might as well remake Sinnoh instead of Kanto. And, let's face it, for lore reasons it makes more sense to remake Sinnoh instead of Kanto, since the Kanto starters already have their Mega Evolutions.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    You ignored most of my points. The thing is, 4th gen is outdated. DP came out nearly 9 years ago, that's a lot of time. While that doesn't warrant a remake in the foreseeable future, because for better or worse the New 3DS is retrocompatible with DS games, it doesn't avoid the fact those games will too be even more outdated in a few years.

Connectivity isn't an excuse. You can still transfer a Pokémon from FRLG all the way to 6th gen. However, you need old, sold out hardware for this. The problem is that you put DPPt and BW in the same basket when they're not. DPPt and HGSS aren't compatible with the PokéBank, that's a huge difference that renders those games obsolete and creates a technological rift between 4th and 6th gen.

It's true 4th gen isn't too far behind mechanics-wise, but Mega Evolution and Fairy-type arguably separated 6th gen enough that the old gens are no longer relevant mechanics-wise, not to mention the several tiny but important changes they did to how certain moves work, like making Electric-type Pokémon immune to Thunder Wave and Grass-type Pokémon immune to powder moves. 5th gen to 6th gen was a bigger change than 4th gen to 5th gen.

There's also the fact the 3DS does a bad job of displaying graphics from DS games. Have you tried to play a DS game on the 3DS? The tiny DS resolution is upscaled, which makes things blurry, and on top of that they apply antialiasing to make things even blurrier. You can play them at original resolution, but then you have to deal with a very small screen. Please don't pretend you get the intended experience of the Pokémon DS games on the 3DS, because you don't.

And, as I SAID, as outdated as Gen 4 is, Gen 3 is even MORE outdated! Yes, there are a lot of things that the Gen 4 games can't do, but the Gen 3 games can do even LESS, and the hard truth is that older games get priority over newer ones when it comes to remakes. Yes, Zelda was a huge exception to this rule when they remade Wind Waker before Majora's Mask, but, well... Do you remember how fans reacted to that?

And, let's face it, for lore reasons it makes more sense to remake Sinnoh instead of Kanto, since the Kanto starters already have their Mega Evolutions.

How does the Kanto starters already having Megas mean that Gen 1 doesn't need to be brought up to par?

I can't help but sense on bias on your part. You've said yourself that DPP are your favorite games and that Sinnoh is your favorite region and story, so, of course, you'd want to see it remade above all else. :P

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Yes, Zelda was a huge exception to this rule when they remade Wind Waker before Majora's Mask, but, well... Do you remember how fans reacted to that?

And as it turned out Nintendo was wise and didn't listen to their complaints, as we got MM on the 3DS instead of a home console, alongside OoT as the sibling games they are.

How does the Kanto starters already having Megas mean that Gen 1 doesn't need to be brought up to par?

There's more incentive for players to get Sinnoh Mega Stones than Kanto's, as the Sinnoh ones currently don't exist.

They need some "excuse" to remake Kanto again, like a new mechanic. The fact they introduced Megas of the three starters as well as Mewtwo in XY tells me they probably weren't thinking about remaking Kanto this gen, nor in the foreseeable future. Sticking Mega Blastoise on the cover isn't news anymore.

Since Charizard got two Megas I could see other Pokémon which now have Megas getting more than one, but I don't think it'll happen, sadly.

As it is right now I'm even doubting they'll make another 6th gen game, as you can get all the legendaries and I believe all the Pokémon with the current games. I want another 6th gen game and I'll campaign for it, since there's uncharted data in 6th gen, but it's not a given.

I can't help but sense on bias on your part. You've said yourself that DPP are your favorite games and that Sinnoh is your favorite region and story, so, of course, you'd want to see it remade above all else. :P

And you're biased too because you love Kanto and even worse you want the games to take Yellow your favorite Kanto game into account! {XD}

(I had a good laugh when I read that) :P

I'm personally not that interested in remakes, I'm just saying what GF should prioritize.

Right now I'm not so sure I'd buy further games either, because I've been focusing on my PC library instead.

NoMoreStars

Trying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's no doubt that the next remakes that come out will be Diamond and Pearl remakes, which I would adore to see, but those won't be out for a while. I read a while back that Game Freak copyrighted and licensed the names of Mega Tortera, Mega Infernape, and Mega Empoleon for the year 2017. I know not all of these licensed names make the cut, but it seems pretty likely that these names may be implimented into a game.

The way I see it, there will be and X and Y seqeul/third version released later this year that's still due to be announced, gen 7 will roll out some time in 2016, and we should have DP remakes by the end of Fall 2017. But that's just my theory, Game Freak could end up taking a completely different path.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    When were ORAS announced last year? We're already in March and no news of a new Pokémon game. It's possible this year will be empty.

Well, E3 is during American summer, so there's still time.

NoMoreStars

Trying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    According to Wikipedia, ORAS was announced in a teaser trailer on May 7th of last year, so there's still plenty of time for a new game/games to be announced.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    And as it turned out Nintendo was wise and didn't listen to their complaints, as we got MM on the 3DS instead of a home console, alongside OoT as the sibling games they are.

But, we still got an MM remake, although I still think it should've been released a long time ago, before the WW remake. When WW HD was announced, many MM fans truly feared that meant that Majora's Mask was never going to get remade, and it made sense. Why would Nintendo skip over MM to remake WW, after all? And, even if MM was the sibling game to OoT, it bombed in sales back in the day, so it did sort of make sense to just ignore it, for better or worse.

And, sibling games being remade for different systems isn't new, although not ideal. Look at Pokémon's own first two Gens. RBY/GSC were a direct prequel/sequel pair that were made for the GB/C, and had very similar graphics (even to the point of GSC reusing many from RBY). Their respective remakes, on the other hand, were made for the very different GBA and DS and have about as much in common as BW and XY (which arguably broke their continuity, IMO).

There's more incentive for players to get Sinnoh Mega Stones than Kanto's, as the Sinnoh ones currently don't exist.

Do you know what the last pre-Gen 4 Pseudo to not have a Mega is? And, there's an entire Bird Trio and Master that haven't really been touched. And, then you have several other notable Gen 1/Gen 1-related Pokémon that lack Megas, like the last two trade evolutions (Machamp and Golem), last two fossils (Omastar and Kabutops), Snorlax, Lapras, Tauros, Butterfree, Fearow, Slowking, etc. See, plenty of new Megas there!

(And, that's not even getting into all of the things they could do with Pikachu in a Yellow remake...)

Plus, what about story? It may not be that important to you, but many of us want to experience Gen 1's setting fleshed out and modernized. Don't you want to see things like TR's connection to Mewtwo or Lugia's connection to the Legendary Birds canonized? Don't you want to battle Giovanni in 3D and see him with a Mega Rhyperior?

And you're biased too because you love Kanto and even worse you want the games to take Yellow your favorite Kanto game into account! {XD}

I'm no fan of Hoenn, but I fully understand why ORAS were made, and I'm glad those fans (or, at least, most of them) got what they wanted. (Plus, RS are older than FRLG, so it made sense for Gen 3 to be remade on the 3DS first.)

Now, that's wrong with showing Gen 1-2 fans the same consideration? Just telling us to go play XY won't do anything as Kalos is not Kanto. Not by a long shot.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    But, we still got an MM remake, although I still think it should've been released a long time ago, before the WW remake. When WW HD was announced, many MM fans truly feared that meant that Majora's Mask was never going to get remade, and it made sense. Why would Nintendo skip over MM to remake WW, after all? And, even if MM was the sibling game to OoT, it bombed in sales back in the day, so it did sort of make sense to just ignore it, for better or worse.

Did it, really? Even though next gen was lurking around the corner, I remember the late N64 games were very hyped. Perfect Dark and Banjo-Tooie were successes. Majora's Mask did sell less than Ocarina of Time, but that doesn't mean it "bombed". Most publications gave it scores comparable to OoT.

And, sibling games being remade for different systems isn't new, although not ideal. Look at Pokémon's own first two Gens. RBY/GSC were a direct prequel/sequel pair that were made for the GB/C, and had very similar graphics (even to the point of GSC reusing many from RBY). Their respective remakes, on the other hand, were made for the very different GBA and DS and have about as much in common as BW and XY (which arguably broke their continuity, IMO).

The problem is that they already had remade OoT for the 3DS before they announced Wind Waker HD. The fans wouldn't forgive them if Majora's Mask was remade for the Wii U (or even the Wii) and OoT was stuck on the 3DS. {XD} Besides, OoT and MM's gameplay is very similar, so it makes sense that they get ported to the same console.

Do you know what the last pre-Gen 4 Pseudo to not have a Mega is? And, there's an entire Bird Trio and Master that haven't really been touched. And, then you have several other notable Gen 1/Gen 1-related Pokémon that lack Megas, like the last two trade evolutions (Machamp and Golem), last two fossils (Omastar and Kabutops), Snorlax, Lapras, Tauros, Butterfree, Fearow, Slowking, etc. See, plenty of new Megas there!

I know that, but none of them have the same marketing appeal as the starters. Maybe the legendary birds and Lugia, but Lugia getting a Mega would require Ho-Oh getting one, too, and Ho-Oh getting a Mega would require the beast trio getting their Megas, and... :P

(And, that's not even getting into all of the things they could do with Pikachu in a Yellow remake...)

Please no. {XD}

Plus, what about story? It may not be that important to you, but many of us want to experience Gen 1's setting fleshed out and modernized. Don't you want to see things like TR's connection to Mewtwo or Lugia's connection to the Legendary Birds canonized? Don't you want to battle Giovanni in 3D and see him with a Mega Rhyperior?

I'd like to see that, actually. But then it wouldn't be a remake anymore. A "reimagining" is probably what you're after.

I'm no fan of Hoenn, but I fully understand why ORAS were made, and I'm glad those fans (or, at least, most of them) got what they wanted. (Plus, RS are older than FRLG, so it made sense for Gen 3 to be remade on the 3DS first.)

Now, that's wrong with showing Gen 1-2 fans the same consideration? Just telling us to go play XY won't do anything as Kalos is not Kanto. Not by a long shot.

I'm not as kind-hearted as you. :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Did it, really? Even though next gen was lurking around the corner, I remember the late N64 games were very hyped. Perfect Dark and Banjo-Tooie were successes. Majora's Mask did sell less than Ocarina of Time, but that doesn't mean it "bombed". Most publications gave it scores comparable to OoT.

Majora's Mask sold 3.36 million, less than half of the 7.6 million Ocarina of Time sold. In fact, MM is the worst-selling non-remake Zelda console game (only WW HD sold less at 1.22 million). While MM did get some good reviews back in the day, it was controversial among fans for it's unorthodox, more challenging playstyle.

The problem is that they already had remade OoT for the 3DS before they announced Wind Waker HD. The fans wouldn't forgive them if Majora's Mask was remade for the Wii U (or even the Wii) and OoT was stuck on the 3DS. {XD} Besides, OoT and MM's gameplay is very similar, so it makes sense that they get ported to the same console.

But, they, ideally, should've made Majora's Mask 3D before Wind Waker HD. Regardless of system, MM is older than WW, so it deserved to get its remake first. Luckily, though, MM 3D has been made and released, so it's all a moot point, now. (No, it doesn't look as fancy as that fake Wii U trailer, but it's still an improvement over the original.)

I know that, but none of them have the same marketing appeal as the starters. Maybe the legendary birds and Lugia, but Lugia getting a Mega would require Ho-Oh getting one, too, and Ho-Oh getting a Mega would require the beast trio getting their Megas, and... :P

Not even Dragonite and the Legendaries? Not even Pikachu?

As for Ho-Oh and the Dogs, well, I wouldn't be opposed to Yellow and Crystal being done as a prequel/sequel pair. :P

I'd like to see that, actually. But then it wouldn't be a remake anymore. A "reimagining" is probably what you're after.

Good, then, that'd give it something else to set it apart from FRLG.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Majora's Mask sold 3.36 million, less than half of the 7.6 million Ocarina of Time sold. In fact, MM is the worst-selling non-remake Zelda console game (only WW HD sold less at 1.22 million). While MM did get some good reviews back in the day, it was controversial among fans for it's unorthodox, more challenging playstyle.

TBH I sort of agree with this. I wasn't too interested in Majora's Mask because it felt like a walkthrough was mandatory for the game. Else you'd be stuck in the loop with the moon crashing every three days without you having a clue on what to do.

But also, Majora's Mask was released prety late in the N64's life cycle, so there's that, too.

But, they, ideally, should've made Majora's Mask 3D before Wind Waker HD. Regardless of system, MM is older than WW, so it deserved to get its remake first. Luckily, though, MM 3D has been made and released, so it's all a moot point, now. (No, it doesn't look as fancy as that fake Wii U trailer, but it's still an improvement over the original.)

Majora's Mask did have several rereleases before Wind Waker, though.

Majora's Mask 3D and Wind Waker HD were also developed by different teams. MM3D was developed by the same team who did OoT 3D, so it's possible (and likely) OoT 3D and WWHD were in concomitant development.

Not even Dragonite and the Legendaries? Not even Pikachu?

As for Ho-Oh and the Dogs, well, I wouldn't be opposed to Yellow and Crystal being done as a prequel/sequel pair. :P

The only way I'd see Pikachu spearheading the remakes is if they gave it two Megas, since remakes always come in pairs. That's the worst possible scenario, though, because I wish Pikachu died in a fire.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    TBH I sort of agree with this. I wasn't too interested in Majora's Mask because it felt like a walkthrough was mandatory for the game. Else you'd be stuck in the loop with the moon crashing every three days without you having a clue on what to do.

The one time I played MM, I could never figure out how to get to the top of the clock tower, so the moon kept on crashing over and over again, and I just gave up. :P It was a very inaccessible game, especially for newcomers. After seeing walthroughs of the game years later, though, I've warmed to it.

Majora's Mask did have several rereleases before Wind Waker, though.

Those were all ports, though, rather than full remakes. Big difference.

The only way I'd see Pikachu spearheading the remakes is if they gave it two Megas, since remakes always come in pairs. That's the worst possible scenario, though, because I wish Pikachu died in a fire.

Pikachu will always and forever overshadow Raichu, because it's the mascot, and they can't make the mascot look bad. Gripe about it all you want, but it is what it is. :P

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    You're all wrong the next remake will be that of Emerald's. :P

I would love for the next remake to be a Platinum remake (though it'll be DP given the pattern, but so long as they handle it like HGSS did with crystal), but FRLG are now so old...

Back