• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What to do?

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Will you guys tell me some great thing to do on internet plz...I've been to forums, now it's boring. Chatrooms, I'm bored. Blogging, I do but now lessened. Music, can't listen all the time. Movies, can't watch all the time. Virtual worlds (like runescape or second life), require a lot of bandwidth, which I give to torrent downloads (and my internet connection is already very slow). Plus, runescape has mostly kids 11-14, and second life has mostly 35+ people...

Can't go out of home...it's raining all the time, plus, no fun place to go...plus, can't use vehicle at the moment, untill i get a vehicle number for it...TV is not really interesting...I am downloading my favorite F.R.I.E.N.D.S. tv series and watching that, but takes time to download...what to do? I play spider-man 2 occasionally since I got this new laptop, but isn't there something interesting??? What do you guys say? Wish I could watch Pokémon from where I left. But watching it online "there" will make my download slow, so I'm avoiding that...

What do I do guys????

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Play some games. If you haven't played it already, Fallout 3 is an excellent single player game, which means it won't require any bandwidth (though it requires a somewhat modern computer). Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is also an excellent game (the sequel is very glitchy, though). You should also play Half-Life 2 and its sequels. There are tons of other games I could recommend.

If you want to play multiplayer, there aren't many options that don't take a lot of bandwidth. Older games, like StarCraft, Counter-Strike (not Counter-Strike: Source), Quake 3 Arena, UT 2004, Halo, etc., will be your best bet. Also, if you've got the money, you might want to try a for-pay MMORPG, like World of Warcraft or something.

If you're willing to sacrifice bandwidth, Team Fortress 2 is a truly excellent multiplayer game that many of us here play. In fact, we're going to be playing later today. However, I'm not sure you'd be able to play without some significant lag (especially if you're torrenting).

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • You could learn to use some image/video editing software.

Play some games, i only really play a football/soccer one called xperteleven. Not sure of Football is your thing but i enjoy it.

Use a site like animefreak to watch some shows. Highschool Of The Dead is awesome quality on there.

Oh you could also give some of Pokemon rom hacks a go, uses up some time.

Years
  • If you want to play multiplayer, there aren't many options that don't take a lot of bandwidth. Older games, like StarCraft, Counter-Strike (not Counter-Strike: Source), Quake 3 Arena, UT 2004, Halo, etc., will be your best bet. Also, if you've got the money, you might want to try a for-pay MMORPG, like World of Warcraft or something.
    What's wrong with Counter Strike Source? I prefer it to 1.6, to be honest. It looks a lot better and the maps are a lot more detailed. It'll run on basically anything with dedicate graphics, so performance isn't a real issue.

twocows

Years
  • What's wrong with Counter Strike Source? I prefer it to 1.6, to be honest. It looks a lot better and the maps are a lot more detailed. It'll run on basically anything with dedicate graphics, so performance isn't a real issue.
    He said he had limited bandwidth due to torrents. CS:S would lag horribly with torrents running.

twocows

Years
  • You did recommend Team Fortres, though. CS:S recently started using the TF2 engine.
    If you're willing to sacrifice bandwidth, Team Fortress 2...
    I did mention that he would have to cut down on bandwidth if he wanted to play. I figure if he's willing to cut his bandwidth, TF2 is a better investment than CS:S.

Years
  • I did mention that he would have to cut down on bandwidth if he wanted to play. I figure if he's willing to cut his bandwidth, TF2 is a better investment than CS:S.

Fair enough. Just seemed like a double standard. Regardless, what could the OP be torrenting so much of that they can't use the rest their bandwidth properly?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    what could the OP be torrenting so much of that they can't use the rest their bandwidth properly?
    Well, reading the OP I noticed:
    I am downloading my favorite F.R.I.E.N.D.S. tv series.
    Now, knowing how popular Friends is, or was... well let's take a trip to <removed>.

Friends full season 1-10
    Uploaded 01-04 2009, Size 29.65 GiB, ULed by <removed>
    Seeds: 172
    Leeches: 925

You'll get >1000kb/s out of that easily enough, but it'll still take time given the size. I dunno about you or prateek203 but I know my connection doesn't seem to go above 800kb/s; downloads so fast even make my browser lag, let alone games...

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    My post make people fight among themselves :(
    Lapras, I don't really like footbal. I have other games, but I play games very less. About ROM Hacks, I'm not much into hacking stuff (which is not supposed to be here on a website acting as if it's full of rules).
    And twocows, our connection are not as fast as yours. My speed is 256 kbps, in which, the downloading speed i get is 28-35 kBps. Your 800kbps is way too fast for me, lol...

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Try runescape. You'll waste hours of your life on it, i guarentee it.

Hell it runs ok on dialup so it should work just fine for you.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    I am already on runescape. Infact I'm a paid member on it. But it's so boring now a days. I'm playing it since very long. Spend many days on it. Nothing much interesting now. Plus, as I said, there are kids there. Very hard to find people of same age, lol...

twocows

Years
  • My post make people fight among themselves :(
    Lapras, I don't really like footbal. I have other games, but I play games very less. About ROM Hacks, I'm not much into hacking stuff (which is not supposed to be here on a website acting as if it's full of rules).
    And twocows, our connection are not as fast as yours. My speed is 256 kBps, in which, the downloading speed i get is 28-35 kbps. Your 800kbps is way too fast for me, lol...
    I didn't say anything about 800 kBps, that was Cassino.

Years
  • If you're into Pokemon, have a look at Shoddy Battle. Works fine with slow connections and older computers. The only important part is that you have a reilable connection, like any game.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • 256 kbps connection? Do they still exist? In Delhi we had all the internet connections doubled, so there really aren't any 256 kbps connection from ISPs like MTNL and Airtel. I'm paying a 1000 bucks for unlimited 1 mbps connection every month :P

I wonder why nobody else suggested this, https://www.stumbleupon.com It's EXTREMELY addicting.

twocows

Years
  • 256 kbps connection? Do they still exist? In Delhi we had all the internet connections doubled, so there really aren't any 256 kbps connection from ISPs like MTNL and Airtel. I'm paying a 1000 bucks for unlimited 1 mbps connection every month :P

I wonder why nobody else suggested this, https://www.stumbleupon.com It's EXTREMELY addicting.
    kbps != kBps, 256 kBps = 2048 kbps. 1 kB = 8 kb (kB stands for kilobyte, kb stands for kilobit). Unless he stated it wrong.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • kbps != kBps, 256 kBps = 2048 kbps. 1 kB = 8 kb (kB stands for kilobyte, kb stands for kilobit). Unless he stated it wrong.
    I already know... I was careful with my conversions :P

Anyway, he meant 256 kbps because he gets download speeds of 28-35 kBps... :)

My speed is 256 kBps, in which, the downloading speed i get is 28-35 kbps.
    That's impossible, no? Obviously he made the mistake :P

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Roleplaying totally doesn't require a reliable internet connection for slower forum based methods. Only a connection at all.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Yeah I corrected that. lol. And anyways, I now use "Second Life". That's why I am here after so long. I'm on second life day and night. It's way too good. Had account from long, but wasn't able to use on my old PC. This new laptop is great. And it works on slow connection too, though have to wait a few seconds after "teleporting" to some other place, but overall, I love it!!!!

Back