• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What "Traditions" Will You Break in X and Y?

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2022
    Ever since the Yellow Version (my first Pokemon game), I'd been playing through all the games in sort of a traditional way, from the kinds of Pokemon I'd use in my team to the choices I typically make in each game. So when the English versions of Black and White were released, I chose to break several traditions that I've normally followed since about Gen I/Gen II:

1) I chose the second game of the version pair (White)
    2) I chose the Water-type starter before using the other two starters
    3) my main in-game team didn't have a Psychic-type
    4) I played through the game without knowing all of the new Pokemon beforehand

Because I broke these traditions, Black and White was definitely a fresh new experience for me, primarily because I chose to do things differently. I did the same thing with BW2, where I tried to use Pokemon in my in-game team that I hadn't used before in any other game. So with X and Y, I'm planning to break another tradition: for the first time, I'm gonna nickname all the Pokemon in my team.

Normally, I never nickname Pokemon, because I think their names are already cool enough. I think it was recently after watching some Pokemon playthroughs on the Internet that I started to get more interested in naming Pokemon. According to the rules in Nuzlocke, nicknaming your Pokemon gives them extra emotional value, so that when they "die" the loss is that much more meaningful; and as I watched a randomizer Nuzlocke challenge in HeartGold, I noticed that this is pretty true. Well, that's perfect! X and Y are putting emphasis on improving your bond with Pokemon, right? So what better way to strengthen the bond with each of my Pokemon than by personally giving them all a meaningful name of some kind? I think I might actually have some fun putting some thought into each name, preferably names that suit their traits and personalities. :)

So, with that being said, are any of you interested in breaking a traditional habit or two (or more) in X and Y? And if so, what is it?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2013
    Usually, my pokemon trainers name is Sarah, I think I'm going to "retire" Sarah and bring out a new pokemon trainer. I usually start with a fire type, I think I'll go grass this time.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Normally, I never nickname Pokemon, because I think their names are already cool enough.

same here mate! at least most of them (*cough cough* amomola).
    but i will break A LOT of traditions this game:

-im a fire starter for all my games, ill think ill go grass in this one.
    -im gonna play both games in parallel, one in my console and one with a rom (hopefully).
    -im not gonna try to make a team in intention to win the game, this year im gonna build a team because i like the pokemon.
    -im gonna play the game without learning it from every possible angle first.
    -im gonna change the name of my charcter from my personal name, to a made-up name.

thats all...but thats awfully lot.

Years
  • Hmm..well Black was kinda my tradition breaker game in alot of ways...in fact at the moment the only "tradition" of sorts that I'm breaking will be the fact that I'm getting the First Copy instead of the Second (X instead of Y). Although I did break that tradition in Black so I'm not sure if I'm breaking tradition or just starting a new trend...

Years
  • Out of all these years of playing Pokemon, I've NEVER completed the Pokedex. After I complete my Pokemon Y, I'm going to start playing Pokemon X and use it as my main Pokemon game, then I'll start completing my Pokedex as legit as possible on it. I also have only used Blastoise as my starter for every single Pokemon game I've owned, I think I'm going to use Chespin first for my Pokemon Y, then keep on with my using Squirtle as a starter tradition for my Pokemon X.

Student D1

De-Wott?
    Years
  • Well, I will break the tradition of choosing either a Fire-type or a Water-type starter over a Grass-type one once I start playing. I mean, in my first playthroughs of the Pokémon games I've played, I always start with either a Fire-type starter or a Water-type starter. The Grass-type starter would be then chosen at either my replay of the game or my second replay.

For X & Y, however, I found interest to Chespin, which is a Grass-type starter. And I'm looking forward to choose him once I get the game (choosing Pokémon X, by the way). So yeah, I'll be breaking that tradition of mine.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Traditions? Can't say I have any.

Except perhaps the Fire starter bit.

And catching every Pokémon I can, each species, one of each.

All right, I guess I have a few.

Cyclone

Years
  • I won't be spoiling myself once they release next bit of actual information on the game.

I usually always go fire starters but this time around I might actually end up with grass, unless Fennekin's final evo is good looking.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I don't really have any traditions to be honest. At least not anymore. The last and only tradition I had was getting the game titles that came first, but I broke that last generation when I chose to get "White" and "White 2."

Typically, I tend to play the games as I go along; catching the Pokémon I like or want to use during that playthrough. Huh, this makes me kind of sad actually. I wish I had some sort of old tradition to break, but I don't.

Maybe I'll start a new one in X/Y.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2013
    I haven't really had any traditions, the only notable tradition for me is having a Hydreigon in my party every single play through. So no actual traditions.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2013
    I'm not sure yet but I think im gonna break my tradition of making my starter in the highest level. just maybe.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I'll remove my tradition of always only catching the Pokémon I want to use. Since B/W, I've learned that almost every Pokémon can be badass.

Also, maybe I'll break my no-legys tradition since I love Xerneas sooooooo much

tnfsf11

1. Use Trubbish.
    2. Use gen 5-6 Pokemon ONLY.
    3. Use Pokemon of pure types.
    4. Name myself & my pokes in all caps.
    5. BREED for shinies.
    I must have gone crazy...

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • These are my pokemon traditions:

• I always name my character Rayene.
    • I always pick the grass type pokemon for my starter.
    • I always have a flying type in my team.

These are my traditions. :D

H.Vega

Johto Wanderer...
    Years
  • I guess I'll break my tradition of having no two of the same type on my team. I'm super OCD about that, and I think it's affecting my health lol

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't have many traditions.....even less of which I want to break.

I don't have a tradition to pick a particular starter type. (unless you consider picking the water type for the last two generations only a tradition) My starter types went Water, Grass, Fire, Water, Water and probably Fire (Fennekin) this time around.

I don't have any team traditions, I like to use pokemon I've never used before if possible. (After seeing the mewthree video I'm considering Cloyster since I'll likely pick Fennekin....it's nice to be able to consider a water type for my main story team that isn't my starter)

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2013
    For me, I am most likely going to break my tradition of keeping one Pokemon a higher level than the rest, and try to balance it out among two or three.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Hmm, never thought about my usual playthrough decisions much to be honest. From the top of my head:

-I never nickname my Pokemon
    -I never use legendary pokemon in my party
    -Pokemon in my party usually consist of sweepers and geared toward best type advantage to overall Gym leaders, elite trainers and champions.
    -I ALWAYS have my starter with me

I might switch it up to a more defensive tank and annoyance team, and down the road I might put my starter in the box.

Back